Start by marking “Verbal First Aid” as Want to Read:
Verbal First Aid

Verbal First Aid

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Words as Medicine
What to say to your children to get them through the bumps, bruises, and crises of childhood.

Falling off a bike, having a bad dream, getting stitches...sometimes a kiss isn't enough to make it all better. But what you say to your child in those first moments of pain or fear could make all the difference.

Using techniques the authors have taught to do
Published June 1st 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published May 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Verbal First Aid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Verbal First Aid

Great book using subtle hypnotherapy techniques to provided emotional first aid for kids when something happens (since people tend to be in a highly suggestible state when they are scared/ in pain). Very congruent with my somatic therapy training (Somatic Experiencing). The book is extremely readable and practical, and is mainly composed of examples, stories, and lists (rather than vague theory). THANK you.

My only criticism is that I wasn't sure all the scientific references were actually legiti
This book is worth reading for anyone raising or working with young children -- especially if any of your kids tend to imagine or fret over injuries and ailments. The premise is that to help lead someone to a calmer state, you must yourself become calm. It elaborates on this general principle with scripts for situations such as asthma attacks, nosebleeds, natural disasters, etc. Like another reviewer, I wondered about the quality of some scientific studies referred to in the book. But this is a ...more
Of all the many books I've read on parenting or relating to kids, this is one of the few that I wish I'd read sooner. The authors have included so many practical examples that really help me feel prepared to support my children through adversity.
Not my kind of book.
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Maureen marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Dina added it
Aug 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014 marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Silvia Montoya-Gomez
Silvia Montoya-Gomez marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Marsida marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Justin marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Evelyn Wang
Evelyn Wang marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Stacy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013