Start by marking “The Dark Planet (Atherton, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Planet (Atherton, #3)

The Dark Planet (Atherton #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  805 ratings  ·  70 reviews
In the dazzling conclusion to the epic story of Atherton, Patrick Carman takes readers on the most rewarding journey of all, to the perilous realm of The Dark Planet: Earth.
When Edgar discovers a way to leave the mysterious satellite world of Atherton, he couldn't have imagined the gloom that awaited him on the dark planet, where the oceans are toxic, the forests are full
Library Binding, 350 pages
Published June 9th 2010 by Turtleback Books (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Planet

Ashley Chen
Jul 15, 2012 Ashley Chen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I don't know why I listed this as to-read. I read this book years ago. I found this and the first book the best. I can't even describe how amazing the series is. This is the real dystopian before the dystopian craze. I love the world building and the characters. Edgar is just too amazing. The monsters created are creeeeppy! I really just remember how amazing the book is. Yeah...you know my memories are fading...you know years since I read the book. But I really recommend it.

I really wish there w
Kyle
Interesting concept, though it gets very sci-fi in this book compared to the rest of the series.
Miss Kitty
Seriously, how does crap like this get published? This was mostly boring with some spurts of interestingness. This time Edgar is crawling along the BOTTOM of Atherton (see, in the first book he crawled around the top, in the second book he crawled along the middle level and now he's cavorting on the bottom! It's genius because Atherton is a three level planet! Whoa!). Samuel and Isabelle get worried and go after him and hang around the interior of Atherton and they meet a dragon with a horn on h ...more
Jessica N.
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

This trilogy finished with a happy ending ... yay! A little bit unbelievably, yes, but I was willing to ignore the craziness of the denouement because most, if not all loose ends were tied up. Although, it doesn't come outright and say what happened to Cmdr. Judix. I love tied up loose ends. They make me happy and feel complete.
For a kids' book, this is nicely done. Simple plot, lots of adventure and excitement. And there are dragons AND spaceships involved! What c
Janeen-san
An absolutely satisfying conclusion to the Atherton series! Edgar, a very spirited boy and gifted climber, discovers a way to journey to the Dark Planet, which is Earth in the year 2105. Many dangers and wonders abound in this mysterious, dying world, and he must travel to the Silo, where many children are kept and forced to long, hard hours of physical labor. There, he hopes to finish a special task his maker, Dr. Harding, didn't live long enough to finish.
Meanwhile, back on Atherton, Samuel an
Trish
Kerstin
Kurzbeschreibung:
Die Regierung ist gefallen, es bleibt kaum noch Hoffnung. Aber in der traurigen Dunkelheit des Silos, wo die versklavten Kinder arbeiten, erzählt man sich noch immer die Legende über den klügsten Jungen, der je dort gelebt hat. Der Junge, der sie alle retten könnte. Dies ist der Ort, an dem Edgar erschaffen wurde. Nun muss er zur verlassenen Welt seines Ursprungs zurückkehren, um Dr. Hardings spektakulären Plan umzusetzen. Denn lange vor Atherton war das einzige verlorene Paradi
Karen Ball
End to the Atherton series: House of Power and Rivers of Fire
Powerhouse conclusion to this series! The first two books introduced us to the world of Atherton, its inhabitants human and animal, and we discovered the reason it was created... or so we thought. The Dark Planet takes us on a journey to Earth: dark, polluted to poisonous levels, infested with violent creatures, and where only a few strongholds keep humanity alive, though they are controlled by people with problems as bad as the planet
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

Life in Atherton has changed and its people have started over. Edgar's encounter with his maker, Dr. Harding, has left questions that can only be answered by leaving the only home he has ever known.

Edgar's journey takes him to the Dark Planet; a sick and dying world filled with deadly creatures and air that fills the lungs with sickness. Edgar has come in search of information about his beginnings, but what he finds is so much more.

He's a part of Dr
EsmeButterfly
El planeta oscuro, a pesar de haberme parecido el más flojo de los tres, ha sido un buen punto final para esta trilogía llena de aventuras que nos presenta un mundo alternativo después de que los humanos desolemos nuestro planeta. A algunos os echará hacia atrás darle una oportunidad a esta historia porque parece demasiado infantil, pero yo misma me he sorprendido al comprobar que no lo es tanto. Sí, cuenta con unos protagonistas de unos doce años solamente, pero son de lo más maduros para su ed ...more
WilowRaven
The Dark Planet is the third and final book in the Atherton series and there isn't a whole lot I can say without giving everything away.[return][return]So....[return][return]If you have read the first two books -- Book 1: The House of Power and Book 2: Rivers of Fire, then you will love The Dark Planet. All of our favorite characters are here plus some wonderful (and horrible!) new ones. Edgar learns more about where he came from and in true Carman style, all loose ends are tied up in time for g ...more
Quincy Whittaker
This book brought everything together. It was the corner stone of the structure or the most important part of a machine. The action, suspense, climax, and way the author told the story was like I was experiencing it myself and I loved it with my heart. The book was special and I rarely find and read books like this it. I hope that I can find more like it and I hope that others will enjoy it as much as I did.
Eliza
I started with The Land of Elyon series. (AWESOME) This was a great series to read before or after The Land of Elyon Series. Lots of adventure and suspense! This was a great ending. fans could not put this book down Loved it. So sad when this ended:( READ ALSO: The Percy Jackson series and Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan is GREAT too.
Narek Aloyan
I chose this book because of the title and the summary about it. Earth has become a dark, polluted planet and one boy, who was made by a scientist, starts a cycle that would clean the Earth and make it safe to go outside. He and around a thousand others had escaped to a planet created by the scientist who created him, (AKA Edgar), and now went back to clean up Earth and save children in the process. One quote i liked was " She would remember her mother's touch or the voice of a lost friend, and ...more
Jacelia Breedlove
Miss Clark
I started the book knowing I was not truly invested in the story, having just barely finished the preceding book in the series. That said, the action was kept at a decent pace and it kept my attention better than I anticipated.

A ruined earth, years in the future, and only a handful of children can save it. The science is sketchy at best, but is supposed to remain solidly in the realm of technology and not magic. Hope is to cover the holes in the viability of said science.

I still lacked connectio
Cathy Caldwell
The best of the trilogy, The Dark Planet is full of action and explanations. Patrick Carman created a very detailed world...fascinating how he describes things happening.
Evelyn
J.L. Mbewe
I love Patrick Carman's storytelling from his Land of Elyon series to his Atherton series. The Dark Planet concludes the Atherton series as we revisit Atherton and venture to the Dark Planet: Earth. Edgar is on his own as he follows his father's last wishes to return to the Dark Planet and finish what his father had started. In the mean time Isabel and Samuel are having an adventure of their own inside Atherton. We meet more interesting creatures from the mind of Dr. Harding, but they all have a ...more
Natalie
The Dark Planet was better than the other books. The only thing that kept me from giving it five stars was that it skipped around a lot. In one chapter it starts from Edgar's point of view and then you know what another character is thinking. The only thing that kept me from giving it three stars is that he made the characters very life like.

There are also more of Dr. Harding's creations. Such as the Spiker, the Pythid, the Raven and Gossamer. I liked the new creations most of all though. The
Thomas
I took a poll about which book in the Atherton series is the best, but I wasn't done with all of them, and chose #1. But now, after reading this book I am changing my answer to #3, the last in the series. For some reason the last book in a series always seems like the best one. I wish that Hope could have gone with the green team to Atherton, but I understand why she wanted to stay and help the younger kids. I was really happy when Landon got the model of Gossamer since he seemed really sad that ...more
Brandon
The Dark PLanet, by Patrick Carman, is a very interesting book, full of great descriptions and action. The main character, Edgar, has to face beings made by his creator, Dr. Harding. For you see, Edgar was not born, but made. Edgar is faced with constant plot twists leading him to The Dark Planet, a place where many great beasts lurk. While at the Dark Planet, Edgar makes many new friends to help him on his quest to finish what Dr. Harding had started.
I would recommend this book to everyone who
Chantal
omg these were my harry potter, along with carman's land of elyon series. wonderful, whimsical, imaginative books, this one being the epic conclusion every 9-12 adventure series should have. i recommend in most to people of those age because really there's nothing like reading books like these at that age for the first time, and then growing up rereading (and reliving) that experience over and over again. nothing to say except the cliche thank you for my childhood, i suppose.
Cheryl
I skipped right to the last book in this series for some unknown reason. Life on Atherton has settled down to a peaceful pastoral routine. Edgar, the boy created by the genius (sometimes crazy evil genius) Dr. Max Harding, wants to explore the center of Atherton. Edgar finds a message from the Dr. and a way to go to the Dark Planet. The overall theme to the book is environment and man's destructive behavior. Sci-fi with a dragon thrown in.
Angie
I liked that the end of the trilogy took us to the Dark Planet where we got to find out more about Dr. Harding and why he created Atherton. This book was well written like the second book and did explain a lot about both worlds. I liked the happy ending of the book, but I think I would have liked a little more information about the Dark Planet and the society there. It seemed a little vague outside of the immediate story area.
gina
::sigh::

I kept saying it wasn't the narrators fault that I didn't like this book, but now I'm not so sure. I couldn't finish this one and I don't intend to. I'd really like to know how the story ends, which means it should be a good story right? But I can't seem to connect with the characters, I feel like I'm being preached at, and I don't like the writing style. I think this is a case of "good in theory bad in practice."
Paxson
I was reading this book and I thought I was only going to read 30 min, but i read past the timer, way past the timer in fact i finished the book. this series is about a boy named Edgar and his adventures and how he meets new friends in his ever changing world, or should i say 2 worlds. this fast pace fantasy series is the best i've read since suzanne collins wrote the gregor and the hunger games series!
Jamie
This ending is pretty satisfying. I had a few editing issues with this book, but overall, I enjoyed it a lot. I love the dragon, and even though the ending is totally a deux ex machina, I don't feel like it detracted from the series as a whole.

Overall, this is a great series, this was a solid book, and I only wish I had discovered this series sooner.
Quinn
Wow, this book is amazing! The conclusion is amazing and only leaves you with the amount of questions were you are still thinking but not were you are angry because your questions need another book to wander them.
Dianna
I have really enjoyed this series of books! Started reading them with my son and just kept on reading. I never knew what was going to happen next. I really appreciate his easy style of writing, keeping things innocent and gentle while still maintaining a great adventure story. Patrick Carman is now one of my new favorite authors! :)
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin's Dragon trilogy, #2)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • The End of Time (The Books of Umber, #3)
  • The Dragon's Apprentice: The Dragonology Chronicles Volume 3
  • The Drowned Vault (Ashtown Burials, #2)
  • The Hollow Bettle (Poisons of Caux, #1)
  • Black Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #3)
  • The Three Furies (Erec Rex, #4)
  • The Heir of Mistmantle (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #3)
  • Dragon Dawn (Dragon Keeper, #0.5)
  • Oddest of All (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #3)
  • No Time Like Show Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #3)
  • Remote Control (Agent Six of Hearts, #2)
  • The Whisper (The Roar, #2)
  • The Black (Morpheus Road, #2)
  • The Chalice of Immortality (Magickeepers #3)
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins P
More about Patrick Carman...
The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5) The Dark Hills Divide (The Land of Elyon, #1) Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2) The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3) Skeleton Creek (Skeleton Creek, #1)