Six Words You Never Knew Had Something to Do with Pigs: And Other Fascinating Facts About the English Language

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A delightfully addictive compendium of fascinating word facts that does for the dictionary what Eats, Shoots, and Leaves did for the manual of style

With the easy erudition and lively wit that have won her legions of fans, Canada's "Word Lady" reveals the entertaining histories behind 500 of the most common words and phrases in the English language. Who knew that "travel"...more
Published April 24th 2007 by Penguin Books

Mike
Whimsical etymology, words examined are grouped by a common theme, and the themes are placed in chronological order. For example, the section entitled 'Easter Bonnets' is prefaced with this brief passage: "Easter has traditionally been the time to acquire a new hat, so in this section we look at the the word 'bonnet' and other names for headgear". Arranging the material in such a contrived way ensures that the meaning of the text as a whole cannot well exceed the sum of its parts; each bit of tr...more
Mary
I received this copy at the annual indexing conference, where the author was the keynote speaker. Her talk was more or less the short history of the English language given at the beginning of the book, but with extra tidbits of interest to indexers. I also spoke with her during the conference and found her friendly and interested in all aspects of language.

The book, as I understand it, was originally written for short broadcasts on Canadian radio, and the writing style reflects that. It is easy...more
Sara
I thought this book was very interesting. I did find the authors writing style to be quite dry; there seemed to me to be very few places where any personality showed through. The etymologies themselves were intriguing and often delightful but overall I found her writing to be very "just the facts m'am." I don't mean that as a bad thing, I still enjoyed the book. That is just how I found it.
Jun 06, 2009 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Becky
More entertaining than I'd expected. I think it would have been a better book to read with a computer at hand, rather than on a plane, because I kept coming up with more questions. "Where does THIS word come from?" "Well how about THIS one?"

The author obviously expects people to jump around, rather than reading cover-to-cover as I did, so a lot of information is repeated within the entries.
Andd Becker
The words about pigs form only one small part of the book. The subtitle about fascinating facts more accurately reflects the book's content. The facts therein are fascinating because of the author's style.
Heather
Jul 05, 2007 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: word nerds
I'm an English nerd. I admit it.
Meagan
I really liked this book.
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Linda Lohi
Linda Lohi marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Dick Cortez
Dick Cortez marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Meghan Bull
Meghan Bull is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2013
Josie
Josie marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Canadian Oxford Dictionary Only In Canada You Say: A Treasury Of Canadian Language Only in Canada, You Say: A Treasury of Canadian Language Six Words You Never Knew Had Something to Do with Pigs: And Other Fascinating Facts about the English Language Canadian Spelling Bee Dictionary