The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia

The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  28 reviews
At last, the haunting sequel to Morgan Llywelyn’s phenomenal epic Druids. The Greener Shore unfurls the story of a brave and mystical people who learned to manipulate the forces of nature–in order to control magic.

As druids in Celtic Gaul, they had been the harmonious soul of their tribe, the Carnutes. But when Julius Caesar and his army invaded and conquered their homela...more
Published May 30th 2006 by Del Rey

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyBook of Shadows by Cate TiernanA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessWitch Child by Celia ReesThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Wicca and other Pagan-based Fiction
59th out of 241 books — 629 voters
Circle of Friends by Maeve BinchyAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtIn the Woods by Tana FrenchDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierTara Road by Maeve Binchy
Best Fiction Set in Ireland
122nd out of 272 books — 212 voters

More lists with this book...

J.L. Hilton
Over the past 20 years, I've read several of Morgan Llewellyn's books, including "Lion of Ireland," "Bard," "Grania,""1916," "1921," and the companion novel to "The Greener Shore," the book "Druids." I have always admired her ability to weave fact and fiction, using the latter to flesh out the former into compelling reads that really make you feel as if you're there and can understand the characters, the landscape, and the times.

This novel, however, disappointed me. There is material in this tha...more
Phair
Druids was one of my favorite books so this long-awaited sequel was a must-read. I was not disappointed. The writing was fluid and the story so interesting I never wanted to pause my reading. At the end I was not ready to leave that world. I want more! There was just enough "magic" to give it that mythic feeling but what was most enjoyable was watching the practical blending of the technologies and cultures that came together and seeing the "roots" of the customs, laws, place names and legends...more
Sharon Skinner
I was really going with this story until the end. I enjoyed the author's take on the Druids and their magic. And the characters were well-drawn and believable. Unfortunately, the POV shift in the final pages was incongruous and disturbing.
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Chief Druid Ainvar, his three wives and their children, and about 15 other survivors from their Celtic clan are sailing west to Hibernia after years of hiding in the forests of Gaul after the Romans destroyed their clan and Julius Caesar murdered their charismatic leader, Vercingetorix.

Ainvar, who relates their adventure in the first person, expended his druid magic in their last fight against the Romans and he knows how weak his tribe, the Carnutes, is. B...more
Avery
A heartwarming conclusion to her earlier book. While not as edge-of-the-seat as Ainvar's earlier adventures in Gaul, this book captures the aging Druid as a man mature in his wisdom yet still questioning his world and himself.
Jess Cullinan
It had been quite awhile since I'd read the books preceding this volume, so it took me awhile to get my bearings as to where in the timeline things were happening. I am truly glad that the author did not wallow in the trials of the Red Wolf and Labraid, as she has spent much of past books dwelling disturbingly in the suffering of her characters. I identify strongly with Ainvar's quest for meaning and purpose, and especially in his thoughts about the nature of time and space. An excellent novel,...more
Michael
The sequel to Morgan Llywelyn's glorious Celtic fantasy, Druids, The Greener Shore is a beautifully told adventure story.
After Julius Caesar triumphs over Gaul, the druid Ainvar and his three wives sail west to the brilliant green island of Hibernia. Here, Ainvar and his clan try to reestablish themselves.
Ainvar's "senior" wife, Briga, provides constant wisdom and support for him. Strong, sensible, and with druidic powers of her own, Briga overcomes all obstacles. Listeners who appreciate strong...more
Nicole Acheson
I enjoyed the Greener Shore; A novel of the Druids of Hibernia. It was almost as good as its prequel Druids...although I found that this book was not as suspenseful as Druids was. In this book some of the Gaulish Celts fled Gaul after the Gallic Wars and ended up in Hibernia. Hibernia was what the Romans called Ireland..in case anyone was wondering which Celtic nation Hibernia is. The book ended really well. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction or fantasy novels and to an...more
Ann
Being part Irish, I had always heard about the druids, but did not realy know anything about them. So this book drew my eye. I very much enjoyed it. It had an ebb and flow, instead of one climax, it had many. The book had a very logical and enjoyable ending. I learned, at least in a fictional way, more about the legends of the druids. I also enjoyed the was she took Irish names the way we know them now, and created them in an ancient way. I look forward to reading the beginning of the sequel" Dr...more
Kathryn
The first 2/3 of the book was great, then it was like the author tired of writing it and kind of moved fast through the last 1/3. Maybe she felt like the story was stalling, who knows. It's not that the ending was bad, it was just rushed. I would like to see a sequel to it (making the series a triology) because many of the "grandkids" born at the end have names that pop up later in Irish history and it would be nice to know if they are the same people.
Ann Love
I really enjoyed this book. I read "Druids" several years ago and was happy to find this sequel. Some reviewers complained about a lack of "action". This really didn't bother me. I thought that contentment of the relocated Carnutes was deserved and uplifting. It may not be as historically accurate as "Druids" or some others, but that didn't bother me either. I was able to enjoy it on its own merits.
Sandra
Good character development, but through this whole book I kept waiting for "something to happen".

It just didn't really grab me and make me want to keep reading. I finished it, but I will be trading this book in at the local bookstore. It's not something that I will want to read again. It's very forgettable.
Terri
Ainvar leads the survivors of his clan to the Island of Hibernia to start a new life after the Romans destroyed their old one.He is the chief druid of his tribe and is responsible for protecting them. Interesting characters and a rich desciption of Gael culture and a bit of magic give a satisfying story.
AmblingBooks

Listen to The Greener Shore on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Donna DeKeyrel
I just stumbled on this book at the library when looking for "How Green Was My Valley". (Authors names ;^) I really enjoyed the book. Of course now I have to read the first one. I look forward to reading some of her other books as well as they all look very interesting!!!
Tracy
Not as good as its precursor - Druids. The writing style in this one seems a bit more perfunctory. Also, it was less tied to actual historical events, which caused it to lose some of the epic nature that I enjoy in historical fiction.
Lori Greene
This was such a great book and filled a gap in my mind of Celts in Gaul--- earlier in history
Keith Lovell
An extremely well-written book, thoroughly researched and a very accurate depiction of what it would've been like to live those days. Engaging characters and engaging plot. I Recommend for those interested in Drudic lore to read.
Angela R.
I really enjoyed this book, but at times it was slow moving and I grew bored. I generally like Celtic fantasy/magic type books, so I picked this one up on a whim. May or may not go back and read others in the series.
Lisa
This is the sequel to Druids. It doesn't quite hold up to the first one, but I still enjoyed it. I love learning about this culture. Again for adults only.

I can't wait to read more of her stuff!
Carmen
A sequel to the Druids,in this one the clan travels from Gaul to Ireland and joins with the celtic tribes already there. Some questions are answered, and yet more are given in this sequel.
Bill Blocksom
A bit slow moving at first but full of detail about what Celtic existence may have been like, told through the story of Ainvar and his clan. This is a continuation of an earlier story.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Those who enjoy Celtic fantasy should enjoy this. It is Ms Llywelyn's sequel to 'Druids'.
Wendy
Wish I could give it a 4.5. It was a really good read, but not as good as "Druids."
Megan
Not as rich as Druids but still an excellent read.
Marji
Oct 25, 2007 Marji rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
slow going. Easy to put down and not pick up again
Susan
This author is just amazing. I am never disappointed.
Chris
Simply exquisite!!
  • Warrior Queen: The Story of Boudica: Celtic Queen
  • Merlin
  • Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6)
  • Ars Magica
  • Circle of Stones
  • The Grey Horse
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey
  • Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)
  • The Burning Time
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • Patrick: Son of Ireland
  • The Raven Queen
  • Celtika (The Merlin Codex, Book 1)
  • The Song of Rhiannon
  • Pagan Celtic Britain
  • Women in Celtic Myth: Tales of Extraordinary Women from the Ancient Celtic Tradition
Morgan Llywelyn (born 1937) is an American-born Irish author best known for her historical fantasy, historical fiction, and historical non-fiction. Her fiction has received several awards and has sold more than 40 million copies, and she herself is recipient of the 1999 Exceptional Celtic Woman of the Year Award from Celtic Women International.
More about Morgan Llywelyn...
Lion of Ireland Druids 1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish Red Branch