Start by marking “The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia” as Want to Read:
The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia

The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia (Druids #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  518 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
At last, the haunting sequel to Morgan Llywelyn’s phenomenal epic Druids. The Greener Shore unfurls the story of a brave and mystical people who learned to manipulate the forces of nature–in order to control magic.

As druids in Celtic Gaul, they had been the harmonious soul of their tribe, the Carnutes. But when Julius Caesar and his army invaded and conquered their homela
Published May 30th 2006 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Greener Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greener Shore

J.L. Hilton
Jul 25, 2011 J.L. Hilton rated it it was ok
Over the past 20 years, I've read several of Morgan Llewellyn's books, including "Lion of Ireland," "Bard," "Grania,""1916," "1921," and the companion novel to "The Greener Shore," the book "Druids." I have always admired her ability to weave fact and fiction, using the latter to flesh out the former into compelling reads that really make you feel as if you're there and can understand the characters, the landscape, and the times.

This novel, however, disappointed me. There is material in this tha
Phair
Sep 04, 2009 Phair rated it really liked it
Druids was one of my favorite books so this long-awaited sequel was a must-read. I was not disappointed. The writing was fluid and the story so interesting I never wanted to pause my reading. At the end I was not ready to leave that world. I want more! There was just enough "magic" to give it that mythic feeling but what was most enjoyable was watching the practical blending of the technologies and cultures that came together and seeing the "roots" of the customs, laws, place names and legends ...more
Marlowe
Jul 17, 2015 Marlowe rated it really liked it
In this sequel to Druids, Ainvar escapes from a Roman-ruled Gaul to the shores of Hibernia. Once there, he must learn the ways of Eriu, a strange woman who speaks to him from the Otherworld. As he forges a place for himself and his large family among the Gaels, he manages to tread on the toes of some locals. Unfortunately, his druidic powers have deserted him since the battle of Alesia, leaving him vulnerable. Meanwhile, Cormiac Ru must find the long-lost Maia, whom he believes himself destined ...more
Linda Mays
Nov 18, 2015 Linda Mays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Morgan Llywelyn books, but this was not one of my favorites. The Greener Shore is comprised of far too much philosophy for my taste. The philosophy of the ancient Druids is used as the main subject that the book is built around. I would have been fine with a little philosophy thrown in, but not as 95% of the subject matter of the book. The book tended to meander and get very long-winded as well.

I picked up The Greener Shore thinking it would be more about the day-to-day lives of this gro
Sharon Skinner
Jun 01, 2008 Sharon Skinner rated it liked it
I was really going with this story until the end. I enjoyed the author's take on the Druids and their magic. And the characters were well-drawn and believable. Unfortunately, the POV shift in the final pages was incongruous and disturbing.
Sara
In this sequel to Llywelyn's earlier book Druids, we are told the story of Ainvar and his remaining clan members as they flee Gaul. Despite having no experience with the sea they rent a couple boats and travel first to the shores of Brittania, before moving to the more westerly isle known as Hibernia. Here they seek to ma key a new home among the Celtic tribes who inhabit the island. These people while in many ways similar to his own people, are also a mystery to Ainvar, yet he insists that his ...more
Kat  Hooper
Dec 23, 2010 Kat Hooper rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Chief Druid Ainvar, his three wives and their children, and about 15 other survivors from their Celtic clan are sailing west to Hibernia after years of hiding in the forests of Gaul after the Romans destroyed their clan and Julius Caesar murdered their charismatic leader, Vercingetorix.

Ainvar, who relates their adventure in the first person, expended his druid magic in their last fight against the Romans and he knows how weak his tribe, the Carnutes, is. B
Avery
Jun 16, 2014 Avery rated it really liked it
A heartwarming conclusion to her earlier book. While not as edge-of-the-seat as Ainvar's earlier adventures in Gaul, this book captures the aging Druid as a man mature in his wisdom yet still questioning his world and himself.
Christian F Brunner
Enjoyed just the same as I enjoyed Llywelyn's "Druids". As always, too short, though...I could go on with these stories for a year and a day.
Kayla
Mar 23, 2016 Kayla rated it it was amazing
03/23/2017 I truly loved much of the theology presented.
Jess Cullinan
Jan 22, 2012 Jess Cullinan rated it really liked it
It had been quite awhile since I'd read the books preceding this volume, so it took me awhile to get my bearings as to where in the timeline things were happening. I am truly glad that the author did not wallow in the trials of the Red Wolf and Labraid, as she has spent much of past books dwelling disturbingly in the suffering of her characters. I identify strongly with Ainvar's quest for meaning and purpose, and especially in his thoughts about the nature of time and space. An excellent novel, ...more
Michael
Aug 27, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
The sequel to Morgan Llywelyn's glorious Celtic fantasy, Druids, The Greener Shore is a beautifully told adventure story.
After Julius Caesar triumphs over Gaul, the druid Ainvar and his three wives sail west to the brilliant green island of Hibernia. Here, Ainvar and his clan try to reestablish themselves.
Ainvar's "senior" wife, Briga, provides constant wisdom and support for him. Strong, sensible, and with druidic powers of her own, Briga overcomes all obstacles. Listeners who appreciate strong
Nicole Acheson
Nov 12, 2012 Nicole Acheson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Greener Shore; A novel of the Druids of Hibernia. It was almost as good as its prequel Druids...although I found that this book was not as suspenseful as Druids was. In this book some of the Gaulish Celts fled Gaul after the Gallic Wars and ended up in Hibernia. Hibernia was what the Romans called Ireland..in case anyone was wondering which Celtic nation Hibernia is. The book ended really well. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction or fantasy novels and to an ...more
Rene Averett
Apr 19, 2016 Rene Averett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweeping tale of early Celts

Drawing on Irish and history myth, this story follows a small band of Gauls led a druid following the Roman defeat of their homeland. Setting off to a storied island to the west, they come to Hibernia and begin to rebuild their lives with the Celts of the island. As with all of Me. Llewellyn's books, this is researched well and enriched with the detail that makes it live. I enjoyed it very much and recommend it to anyone interested in early Irish history and storytell
John
Oct 13, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok but a bit bland.
Ann
Jul 22, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
Being part Irish, I had always heard about the druids, but did not realy know anything about them. So this book drew my eye. I very much enjoyed it. It had an ebb and flow, instead of one climax, it had many. The book had a very logical and enjoyable ending. I learned, at least in a fictional way, more about the legends of the druids. I also enjoyed the was she took Irish names the way we know them now, and created them in an ancient way. I look forward to reading the beginning of the sequel" Dr ...more
Kathryn
Apr 16, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
The first 2/3 of the book was great, then it was like the author tired of writing it and kind of moved fast through the last 1/3. Maybe she felt like the story was stalling, who knows. It's not that the ending was bad, it was just rushed. I would like to see a sequel to it (making the series a triology) because many of the "grandkids" born at the end have names that pop up later in Irish history and it would be nice to know if they are the same people.
Ann Love
Feb 26, 2010 Ann Love rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I read "Druids" several years ago and was happy to find this sequel. Some reviewers complained about a lack of "action". This really didn't bother me. I thought that contentment of the relocated Carnutes was deserved and uplifting. It may not be as historically accurate as "Druids" or some others, but that didn't bother me either. I was able to enjoy it on its own merits.
Sandra
Jul 21, 2009 Sandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-read
Good character development, but through this whole book I kept waiting for "something to happen".

It just didn't really grab me and make me want to keep reading. I finished it, but I will be trading this book in at the local bookstore. It's not something that I will want to read again. It's very forgettable.
Terri
Jun 01, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ainvar leads the survivors of his clan to the Island of Hibernia to start a new life after the Romans destroyed their old one.He is the chief druid of his tribe and is responsible for protecting them. Interesting characters and a rich desciption of Gael culture and a bit of magic give a satisfying story.
Donna DeKeyrel
Jul 02, 2010 Donna DeKeyrel rated it really liked it
I just stumbled on this book at the library when looking for "How Green Was My Valley". (Authors names ;^) I really enjoyed the book. Of course now I have to read the first one. I look forward to reading some of her other books as well as they all look very interesting!!!
Tracy
Aug 21, 2008 Tracy rated it liked it
Not as good as its precursor - Druids. The writing style in this one seems a bit more perfunctory. Also, it was less tied to actual historical events, which caused it to lose some of the epic nature that I enjoy in historical fiction.
Lori Greene
Dec 31, 2013 Lori Greene rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book and filled a gap in my mind of Celts in Gaul--- earlier in history
Keith Lovell
Aug 24, 2014 Keith Lovell rated it liked it
An extremely well-written book, thoroughly researched and a very accurate depiction of what it would've been like to live those days. Engaging characters and engaging plot. I Recommend for those interested in Drudic lore to read.
Angela R.
Mar 18, 2011 Angela R. rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, but at times it was slow moving and I grew bored. I generally like Celtic fantasy/magic type books, so I picked this one up on a whim. May or may not go back and read others in the series.
Lisa
Jul 17, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to Druids. It doesn't quite hold up to the first one, but I still enjoyed it. I love learning about this culture. Again for adults only.

I can't wait to read more of her stuff!
Carmen
Nov 11, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it
A sequel to the Druids,in this one the clan travels from Gaul to Ireland and joins with the celtic tribes already there. Some questions are answered, and yet more are given in this sequel.
Bill Blocksom
Dec 14, 2010 Bill Blocksom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow moving at first but full of detail about what Celtic existence may have been like, told through the story of Ainvar and his clan. This is a continuation of an earlier story.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Mar 07, 2008 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it liked it
Shelves: librarybooks
Those who enjoy Celtic fantasy should enjoy this. It is Ms Llywelyn's sequel to 'Druids'.
Wendy
Jul 09, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Wish I could give it a 4.5. It was a really good read, but not as good as "Druids."
  • The Grey Horse
  • Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6)
  • Ars Magica
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • The Raven Queen
  • Irish Magic II
  • Merlin
  • Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey
  • The Adept  (Adept #1)
  • The Burning Time
  • Circle of Stones (Circle, #1)
  • Warrior Queen: The Story of Boudica: Celtic Queen
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • Taliesin: The Last Celtic Shaman
  • Patrick: Son of Ireland
Morgan Llywelyn (born 1937) is an American-born Irish author best known for her historical fantasy, historical fiction, and historical non-fiction. Her fiction has received several awards and has sold more than 40 million copies, and she herself is recipient of the 1999 Exceptional Celtic Woman of the Year Award from Celtic Women International.
More about Morgan Llywelyn...

Druids (2 books)