Start by marking “Shrink to Fit” as Want to Read:
Shrink to Fit

Shrink to Fit

Losing weight is the solution to all basketball-star Leah Mandeville's problems, or so she thinks. Getting superthin will:a) help her jump shot

b) make her look like America's Next Top Model

c) get the attention of the high school hottie who ignores any girl with a little junk in the trunk

And it's working, isn't it? Her boo is now crushing on her. Everyone says how good she
Published August 1st 2008 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Shrink to Fit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrink to Fit

Gabriella Sanders
Dona Sarkar's purpose in writing this novel was to bring her audience awareness. Sarkar wanted to display the struggle of having to fight against peer pressure and disorders. This novel is appealing to all teenagers, more-so directed towards females around the age 13 to 18. Shrink to Fit emphasizes what all girls go through and helps them overcome it and to possibly know that they're not alone in their situation. The impact Sarkar's novel will leave a mark on everyone that comes across this book ...more
Jamila
So far, I hate this book. However, it is a Kimani Tru book, and many of our teen patrons enjoy reading this imprint. So, I'm plugging through on my lunch breaks.

Finished it and I will recommend it to young girls who like drama and who may have body image concerns.
Caroline
Aug 30, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is a powerful story that needs to be read. I found that the plot and the characters really gave the theme of anorexia and eating disorders an interesting dimension without making it look negative or disgusting.

The story is told from the point of view of Leah with a third person narrator. There is enough distance for the reader to feel for Leah and think "But what are you doing to yourself Leah?" at the same time.

I thought the characters were really well developed and all very different one
Katrina Burchett
Leah Mandeville is a junior in high school. She’s on the basketball team and wants to go onto college to play for UCLA. Leah’s mother, Veronica, is a model and she wants her daughter to follow in her footsteps. Modeling isn’t Leah’s thing and even if it was, she doesn’t have the slim frame necessary to make it in the business. But then there’s Jay, Leah’s next door neighbor and best friend for three years. Leah has feelings for him, but he likes someone else; one of her skinny friend’s. Will Lea ...more
Carleyk
Oct 11, 2011 Carleyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leah Mandeville is a junior in high school and the star on the basketball team. Leah’s mother, Veronica, is a model and she wants Leah to follow in her footsteps. However, Leah is built a little different than her mother. She is tall and muscular and doesn't want to model. Leah feels losing weight will help her with her jump shot, modeling, and getting the attention of, Jay, the high school hottie. Her diet plan was to eat a protein shake for breakfast, salad for lunch, and nothing for dinner. L ...more
Denika Ottley
Jul 07, 2013 Denika Ottley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Book is really really good. Awesome actually, I cried so hard and I have no idea why. Well honestly I do know why but it was totally irreverent. I can't personally relate to Leah because I love my curves to death and I wouldn't consider pill dieting or dieting to that extreme, but I've known people with that same problem and I've felt for them. When Death and Rejection occurred, I felt horrible for her, just because of all the stress with the coach, photographer, mother that she still had t ...more
Alejandra Armitage
Good book, a very fast read, however the ending is a little abrupt and it doesn't accurately portray how hard it is to get over an eating disorder. The best part of this book for me was the aspect of pressure at school and at home to be skinny and the aspect that unhealthy equals "beautiful" in this society. A good read, if not for personal enjoyment but for a new perspective on the world of eating disorders.
Lanetta
Sep 19, 2009 Lanetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alot of teenage girls in America feel that being anorexic or really skinny (sizes 0-5) is acceptable for boys, the media, and society. In reality, big girls (the thick madames) are considered to have low self-esteem. Sadly, alot of people do think that, which causes a misbalance. In the book, Leah was pressured to lose excessive weight to please a boy and her mother. A drastic conclusion takes place in the matter.
Diamond
Aug 17, 2011 Diamond is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is about a girl named Leah who start to lose weight to get noticed at school and to make her look like she is a model. Also she is a basketball star at her school. Now that she has lost weight everybody says she look good and she looks good. But inside Leah does not feel about herself. But a good thing is now her boo is crushing on her. Also later in the book a big turn happens to her because of her trying to lose weight to get noticed.
Shanda
Mar 26, 2012 Shanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very akward but realizable. It was about a girl who loses about 60 pounds and almost dies. The reason she decided to lose wieght was to become beutiful and a model like her mother. she ends up almost dies. She loses her friend the same way. I thought this book was mostely about wieght-losing but not to go over-bord like Leah was.
Amani Crain
This book is amazing!!!!!!! It gives you a real look inside the mind of a young girl struggling with a eating disorder. Everything was raw and true and I found myself relating with the character because of the way she thought and felt when dealing with her overbearing mother, her super size 0 friends, her dreams of the a baller, and her crush who apperantly only goes for the skinny girls.....
Quamisha Watkins
Apr 21, 2009 Quamisha Watkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about an girl name Leah who thinks she has a weight problem,which is not true.She is the school star basketball player, as an boyfriend,but she's not happy with her body.She thinks if she loses weight it'll help her jump-shot, make her Americas Next Top Model,and get her the killer boyfriend that ignores all the girl.Little does she know things change for the worst not better.
Yanni
Oct 20, 2009 Yanni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great. It's kida boring in the middle but tords the ending it got better and better. I like the part when Leah kisses Jay finally and she gets rejected. She was trying to bring him to her room and he said no because hes with Jenn. When she gets too skinny, she'll get into a lot of trouble. I recomend this book for people who like weight drama.
Acaciahnona
Oct 23, 2010 Acaciahnona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SOO, i liked this book alot and i thought that it was very believeable and true. i think it reflected how most teenage girls go through this process. it was wriiren with a delicate hand and you can tell a lot of thought went into it.
Katrina
Apr 07, 2010 Katrina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I Would Recommend Better Written Books on Anorexia
Shelves: teen, fiction, girl-read
As a book about anorexia, there are better written ones though not many about non-white girls with anorexia. The multicultural-ness of this book is its only redeeming characteristic. While written in 2008, the book is already dated by references to American Idol and comments like “True that.”
Genera F
Best book for preteens-early teens. A story that needs to be heard, especially when girls start to see their body and compare to media. So good. Wow.
Stephany
This book is about a girl nams Leah who becomes anorexic after she and her mother decide to be in a photo shoot for a magazine cover.
Leila
Leila rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Yasmeen Jennings
Yasmeen Jennings rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Harlesha
Harlesha rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Akeisha
Akeisha rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2016
Cierra Buckles
This was a very very great book!!!!!!
Tara Cornelius
Mar 20, 2015 Tara Cornelius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yess

Racheal
Racheal rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2011
Keisha Fertilyahoo.com
Keisha Fertilyahoo.com rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2010
Weronika Zaleska
Weronika Zaleska rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Adajia
Adajia rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
shrink to fit 1 8 Feb 19, 2010 11:10AM
  • Deal With It (Indigo Summer #6)
  • 16 Isn't Always Sweet
  • Spin It Like That
  • Gettin' Hooked
  • She Said, She Said
  • Lesson Learned (Keysha, #3)
  • Chasing Romeo (BFF Novel #1)
  • Hallway Diaries: How to Be Down/Double ACT/The Summer She Learned to Dance
  • Dirty Jersey
  • First Semester
Dona is definitely supposed to be writing her overdue novel right now. Her agent is constantly amazed by the amount of happy hours, reading new authors, browsing Pinterest and pretty much every other activity on the planet Dona can conjure up when she has a writing deadline.

Dona is the published author of three novels HOW TO SALSA IN A SARI, SHRINK TO FIT and HAUTE DATE all from Harper Collins' K
More about Dona Sarkar...