Start by marking “Shrink to Fit” as Want to Read:
Shrink to Fit

Shrink to Fit

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Losing weight is the solution to all basketball-star Leah Mandeville's problems, or so she thinks. Getting superthin will:a) help her jump shot

b) make her look like America's Next Top Model

c) get the attention of the high school hottie who ignores any girl with a little junk in the trunk

And it's working, isn't it? Her boo is now crushing on her. Everyone says how good she
Published August 1st 2008 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Shrink to Fit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrink to Fit

Caroline
This is a powerful story that needs to be read. I found that the plot and the characters really gave the theme of anorexia and eating disorders an interesting dimension without making it look negative or disgusting.

The story is told from the point of view of Leah with a third person narrator. There is enough distance for the reader to feel for Leah and think "But what are you doing to yourself Leah?" at the same time.

I thought the characters were really well developed and all very different one
Gabriella Sanders
Dona Sarkar's purpose in writing this novel was to bring her audience awareness. Sarkar wanted to display the struggle of having to fight against peer pressure and disorders. This novel is appealing to all teenagers, more-so directed towards females around the age 13 to 18. Shrink to Fit emphasizes what all girls go through and helps them overcome it and to possibly know that they're not alone in their situation. The impact Sarkar's novel will leave a mark on everyone that comes across this book ...more
Jamila
So far, I hate this book. However, it is a Kimani Tru book, and many of our teen patrons enjoy reading this imprint. So, I'm plugging through on my lunch breaks.

Finished it and I will recommend it to young girls who like drama and who may have body image concerns.
Katrina Burchett
Leah Mandeville is a junior in high school. She’s on the basketball team and wants to go onto college to play for UCLA. Leah’s mother, Veronica, is a model and she wants her daughter to follow in her footsteps. Modeling isn’t Leah’s thing and even if it was, she doesn’t have the slim frame necessary to make it in the business. But then there’s Jay, Leah’s next door neighbor and best friend for three years. Leah has feelings for him, but he likes someone else; one of her skinny friend’s. Will Lea ...more
Carleyk
Leah Mandeville is a junior in high school and the star on the basketball team. Leah’s mother, Veronica, is a model and she wants Leah to follow in her footsteps. However, Leah is built a little different than her mother. She is tall and muscular and doesn't want to model. Leah feels losing weight will help her with her jump shot, modeling, and getting the attention of, Jay, the high school hottie. Her diet plan was to eat a protein shake for breakfast, salad for lunch, and nothing for dinner. L ...more
Denika Ottley
This Book is really really good. Awesome actually, I cried so hard and I have no idea why. Well honestly I do know why but it was totally irreverent. I can't personally relate to Leah because I love my curves to death and I wouldn't consider pill dieting or dieting to that extreme, but I've known people with that same problem and I've felt for them. When Death and Rejection occurred, I felt horrible for her, just because of all the stress with the coach, photographer, mother that she still had t ...more
Ashonna
It was a great book and I loved it!
Diamond
Aug 17, 2011 Diamond is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is about a girl named Leah who start to lose weight to get noticed at school and to make her look like she is a model. Also she is a basketball star at her school. Now that she has lost weight everybody says she look good and she looks good. But inside Leah does not feel about herself. But a good thing is now her boo is crushing on her. Also later in the book a big turn happens to her because of her trying to lose weight to get noticed.
Lanetta
Alot of teenage girls in America feel that being anorexic or really skinny (sizes 0-5) is acceptable for boys, the media, and society. In reality, big girls (the thick madames) are considered to have low self-esteem. Sadly, alot of people do think that, which causes a misbalance. In the book, Leah was pressured to lose excessive weight to please a boy and her mother. A drastic conclusion takes place in the matter.
Alejandra Armitage
Good book, a very fast read, however the ending is a little abrupt and it doesn't accurately portray how hard it is to get over an eating disorder. The best part of this book for me was the aspect of pressure at school and at home to be skinny and the aspect that unhealthy equals "beautiful" in this society. A good read, if not for personal enjoyment but for a new perspective on the world of eating disorders.
Quamisha Watkins
This book is about an girl name Leah who thinks she has a weight problem,which is not true.She is the school star basketball player, as an boyfriend,but she's not happy with her body.She thinks if she loses weight it'll help her jump-shot, make her Americas Next Top Model,and get her the killer boyfriend that ignores all the girl.Little does she know things change for the worst not better.
Amani Crain
This book is amazing!!!!!!! It gives you a real look inside the mind of a young girl struggling with a eating disorder. Everything was raw and true and I found myself relating with the character because of the way she thought and felt when dealing with her overbearing mother, her super size 0 friends, her dreams of the a baller, and her crush who apperantly only goes for the skinny girls.....
Yanni
This book was great. It's kida boring in the middle but tords the ending it got better and better. I like the part when Leah kisses Jay finally and she gets rejected. She was trying to bring him to her room and he said no because hes with Jenn. When she gets too skinny, she'll get into a lot of trouble. I recomend this book for people who like weight drama.
Shanda
This book was very akward but realizable. It was about a girl who loses about 60 pounds and almost dies. The reason she decided to lose wieght was to become beutiful and a model like her mother. she ends up almost dies. She loses her friend the same way. I thought this book was mostely about wieght-losing but not to go over-bord like Leah was.
Katrina
Apr 07, 2010 Katrina rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I Would Recommend Better Written Books on Anorexia
Shelves: fiction, girl-read, teen
As a book about anorexia, there are better written ones though not many about non-white girls with anorexia. The multicultural-ness of this book is its only redeeming characteristic. While written in 2008, the book is already dated by references to American Idol and comments like “True that.”
Acaciahnona
SOO, i liked this book alot and i thought that it was very believeable and true. i think it reflected how most teenage girls go through this process. it was wriiren with a delicate hand and you can tell a lot of thought went into it.
Stephany
This book is about a girl nams Leah who becomes anorexic after she and her mother decide to be in a photo shoot for a magazine cover.
S.J
this book was pointless. i have read alot of books about people with eating disorders and this was one of the worst
Stephanie
I learned to never push yourself to be thin so far that you end up almost killing yourself
Lisa Mcn.
Recommended in LJ Core Collection for Urban Lit
Vernita
i tried to read it twice and couldnt get into it.
Cierra Buckles
This was a very very great book!!!!!!
Yokie
Yokie marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Ttylxox
Ttylxox marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
shrink to fit 1 8 Feb 19, 2010 11:10AM
  • Deal With It (Indigo Summer #6)
  • 16 Isn't Always Sweet
  • Gettin' Hooked
  • Spin It Like That
  • Chasing Romeo (BFF Novel #1)
  • Lesson Learned (Keysha, #3)
  • Fast Forward (Kenisha Lewis, #2)
  • Dirty Jersey
  • First Semester
  • Courtin' Jayd (Drama High,  #6)
How To Salsa In A Sari Prom Ever After: Haute Date\Save the Last Dance\Prom and Circumstance