Start by marking “Tears for Water” as Want to Read:
Tears for Water

Tears for Water

Never before published intimate poems from Keys' journal, and lyrics from her multi-platinum Grammy-Award-winning CDs, "Songs in A Minor" and "The Diary of Alicia Keys."
Published November 4th 2004 by Putnam Adult (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tears for Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tears for Water

Danine
Jan 13, 2008 Danine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How do I put this? I love Alicia Keys. I love her music. She is a lovely and talented woman. A humanitarian and writes against how the media exploits women. She is an academy award winner several times over and she is musically talented and educated. This book, however, was an extreme disappointment to me. These poems and lyrics go well with her music but on paper they are trite, bland and anything but deep. I was writing poetry like this in seventh grade about by teenage crush, Roger Baldwin. H ...more
Stacey
Jan 15, 2009 Stacey rated it it was amazing
this book is really great. it has poems that she wrote about her own feelings. i like the one called beckoning green beacause thres a part that says beckoning green
come to me you wisper
roll in me,play in me
be free.
i feel like that little part means alot. and her poems kinda gives you lessons or it shows that even though she is famous she feels the same way we do.
Urvi Shah
This is an ideal read for a day you feel like sitting by the window seal on a rainy day. Definitely perfect for a day in Vancouver or a train ride.

The book is an easy read and only takes half an hour. Simply love "Golden Child".

Enjoy the read!

Joalby Phoenix
Dear Alicia Keys,
I read your book. You don't get to throw together random phrases and pass it off as poetry. That's not how it works. Worst poetry compilation ever.

Joalby
Marlin Jenkins
Jul 07, 2014 Marlin Jenkins rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Alicia Keys is a brilliant musician and singer/songwriter. (As I Am is one of my favorite albums, and The Diary of Alicia Keys is also wonderful and memorable.) But this is a brilliance that doesn't quite transfer well to poetry. While I appreciated getting to read some of the thoughts and inspirations that went into the work, and it's super cool to have the lyrics from her first two albums in print, the poetry that comprises the first/major part of this book feels like poems from a high school ...more
Jessika
Nov 28, 2009 Jessika rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, poetry, own
Not only can this girl sing, but lord, can she write. I loved this book. Her poetry was so deep, but not so deep that the reader couldn't feel her pains/joys/concerns. For being so young, I think this woman is incredible. I've always been a huge fan of her music, but I especially loved this little inside look into her mind. As much as I liked the lyrics section at the back of the book, I've listened to those songs so many times that I've known those words for quite a while. I have to say, I did ...more
Desiree G.
May 25, 2011 Desiree G. rated it it was amazing
So far I am really starting to like this book. It's about her life I guess and all the struggles she has had to face. Every day I will read at least one of her poems, in class at home any wear.I really see my self as a reader improving on a lot of things. But one thing that really sticks out to me is that I see my self caring more for story's and poems (such as the poems I am reading with my class and in this book I'm reading alone)and other things like that. Even if it's fiction or non- fiction ...more
Fallon
Nov 13, 2014 Fallon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books, owned
Alicia Keys' poetry book is one of my all-time favorite things. Only wish it were available as an ebook so I could have it with me all the time.
Jozef Blazej
Jan 06, 2012 Jozef Blazej rated it it was ok
After hearing Alicia Keys perform "POW" at a poetry slam, I decided to check this book out. POW is by far the best poem in the book, and definitely the deepest. The vast majority of the poems in the collection are cheesy love poems. A lot of the passages are meant to be sung. I have faith that they are beautiful when applied to music, but on the page they appear flat and mundane. Honestly, this collection disappointed me a little. However, if Ms. Keys decided to write a novel or autobiography, I ...more
hannah
Jul 14, 2007 hannah rated it really liked it
this is a collection of alicia keys' poems and lyrics from her first two studio albums (they were never printed in the liner notes). obviously, keys has talent, as evidenced by her popular (and also some never commercially-released) songs. for that alone, i would recommend this book to her fans.

the poems are also good, although in some cases you can see why they remained unpublished poems and did not become published songs. but still, keys' voice is unique and i enjoyed the book.
Allison
May 01, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book was a happy accidental find. I was scanning the shelves at the library and stumbled across this one. It was an easy read, and i enjoyed getting to see into the heart of Alica Keys.
Celebrities always seem to be these larger than life figures, but when you strip all that away they are just as human as the next person.
Being vulnerable is not easy and I appreciated her willingness to let people into her world through this book of poems and lyrics.
DorieanJackson 2010
Apr 21, 2008 DorieanJackson 2010 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS ALRIGHT. I THINK ALICIA KEYS COULD HAVE PERSONALLY DONE BETTER. THE BOOK IS JUST A BOOK OF MOST OF HER SONGS AND POEMS THAT SHE HAS WRITTEN WHICH VERY FEW OF THEM I LIKE. BUT MAYBE I ONLY DON'T LIKE THEM BECAUSE I CAN'T RELATE.

SO THERE IS NOT MUCH TO SAY ABOUT THIS BOOK BUT I JUST WANTED TO SHOW EVERYONE THE POEM I REALLY ENJOYED.SO WHAT DO YOU THINK???
RainbowWriter
My long anticipation of reading this book got finally rewarded... with a slight disappointment because the biggest fans like myself might end up slightly disappointed if they're expecting to get their hands on tons of new material: Only the first 100 pages of the book actually contain never before seen unreleased material and concrete poems and the rest 80 pages of the book are song lyrics from her first two albums which you could easily access anyway through the Internet or her physical CDs. Th ...more
K. Jonee
May 02, 2014 K. Jonee rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed "Tears For Water" . The poems are very heart-felt, and they emphasize the poet that she is. This is a book that every person who enjoys poetry should read. "Playing piano notes in my head, while I read, the poetry made its impact on the bed that is my brain, Artistically free, ...." . Alicia Keys was phenomenal in her poetic freedom.
Alice De Deken
Jul 05, 2015 Alice De Deken rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
Normally I'm not very into poetry, but I really liked the themes that she used. I am a huge fan of Alicia Keys, so I think that this is the main reason why I liked it. I cannot judge about the poetry itself because I know nothing about poetry. I can only say that I liked reading some of her thoughts and that I think it is well-written.
Jenna Pasquayak
i laernt that evan tho alcia keys is famous she has been thru alot like me ..if you really want to get to know me and a alicia read this book i realated to half the stuff in this book mostly all of it ..it was kinda wierd how to dirrent people can feel the same way..mayb we aint that different after all
Angel R
Oct 24, 2009 Angel R rated it it was amazing
This book has poems and lyrics to songs that Alicia Keys wrote herself. It's a very good book especially if you like her as a singer and writer. She has a lot of her thoughts and feelings about the songs and poems she wrote so you can understand them.
Monique
Dec 11, 2007 Monique rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poetry and music lovers
I wasn't really into Alicia Keys until I read her poetry book. I think she is a very talented poet and lyricists. The book is amazing. Not only do it include some of her poetry, it also includes all the lyrics from her first two albums.
James Vang
Sep 18, 2007 James Vang rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All
It's not fair to say "I didn't like this book." I think that it's very special for someone to share their personal thoughts with you. Alica Keys shared some of her poems and songs but more importantly she allowed us to see her heart.
Marilyn
Oct 28, 2011 Marilyn rated it it was ok
I ordered this book because it said songbook of poems and lyrics. I was very disappointed to read the poems and lyrics without a music score. This book would have been much better had it included the sheet music to her lyrics.
Chary
Feb 04, 2008 Chary rated it liked it
Recommended to Chary by: Philip
Shelves: fyi-reference
A former student in Miami gave me this book upon his high school departure. It was a great insight for me into Keys' gifted mind. I developed an even better appreciation for her and her talent after going through her writings.
Lindsay
Aug 28, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Beautiful, personal poetry by the amazing Alicia keys. I enjoyed it. It was an extremely quick read but its poetry, so you can read one poem over and over and never grow tired. At least thats how I am.
Alexis
Mar 21, 2014 Alexis rated it it was amazing
The poems in this book are so powerful. I loved them. Being a singer and a poet, this book was a dream come true! This book is a great read for any Alicia Keys fans as well as any fans of poetry.
Isiah Hurts
Aug 08, 2011 Isiah Hurts rated it did not like it
i was very dissappointed in this book.when i read this book i thought i was gonna read something deep.but her poems reads more like thought and ideas instead of poems.i prefer you to buy ashanti book
Shai'ona Harris
Sep 24, 2011 Shai'ona Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg eatting hamburger helper with some tater tots with sum salad from a place in the bensen area called pizza shoppe so good lololol naw im for real thoww but this story is so great
BreBre
Dec 04, 2013 BreBre rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves poetry
I loved this collection of poems. I love her songwriting process I think thats why I connected so quickly. I wish she would come out with another volume soon.
Shequitta Kelly
This book was good. However, I found it weird that some of the poems were simply lyrics to her published songs. I was expecting all new, unreleased stuff.
Sharnai
Nov 04, 2008 Sharnai rated it it was amazing
i wanna read this book also because i love this r and b artist she can write the i dont know what out of poetry i love he soull calming music
Allison
Jan 20, 2015 Allison rated it it was ok
Shelves: used-to-own
Alicia Keys is a great musician. I wasn't into her poetry all that much when I read this years ago. However, I might give this book another look.
Lagitau Vae
Mar 01, 2010 Lagitau Vae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was all about her life and how hard it was for her growing up. and i loved most of her love poems.i used it on my friend and it was very romatic.
  • The Moments, the Minutes, the Hours: The Poetry of Jill Scott
  • Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems
  • The Rose That Grew from Concrete
  • Jelly Roll
  • The Collected Poetry, 1968-1998
  • Let's Talk About Pep
  • Teeth
  • Tupac Shakur Legacy
  • Bad: The Autobiography of James Carr
  • Risking Everything: 110 Poems of Love and Revelation
  • A Night Without Armor
  • Rhythms
  • Holocaust
  • Help Yourself for Teens: Real-Life Advice for Real-Life Challenges
Passionate about my work, in love with my family and dedicated to spreading light. It's contagious! ;-)

Check out my new children's book Blue Moon here: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Moon-From-...
More about Alicia Keys...