Start by marking “The Best Christian Short Stories: Short Stories Sharpened by Faith” as Want to Read:
The Best Christian Short Stories: Short Stories Sharpened by Faith

The Best Christian Short Stories: Short Stories Sharpened by Faith

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The first volume in a collection of contemporary fiction that combines the artistry of critically accaimed writers with a clear Christian worldview.

From Homer Hickam, the best-selling author of "Rocket Boys"--which later became the movie "October Sky" to editor and contributing best-selling author Bret Lott, this collection spans a talented community writing an eclectic bl
Published July 1st 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Best Christian Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Christian Short Stories

David Gregg
There is much too little good Christian fiction out there that isn't sappy or romantic, and the genre of the short story is even more hard to come by. This is a book for people who like a story for its own sake. The stories can be considered Christian, but without an agenda, which means pure literature--so no big feeling of forced spirituality.

I found the literary quality to be very good, but I gave this collection a five-star rating because so many Christians need exposure to decent fiction. Th
Starry
I love compilations of short stories
I have often been disappointed with Christian fiction.

So this book of Christian short stories was a bit of a gamble. But I enjoyed. It contains a good mix of settings and perspectives and even concepts of faith (some not necessarily Christian but that give Christians something to think about). And one of the authors is a friend of my mother's, which was a pleasant surprise.
David Drury
What I learned from this book, which re-published my short story "Things We Knew When the House Caught Fire," is that my short story is not only Christian (who knew?)but that it is apparently VERY Christian. My story, in fact, looks down its nose at me and tells me that it has a lot of good news for me out in the lobby.
Stephanie
My husband's has a short story in here. I like the story a lot, but I don't necessarily like Christian short stories because I feel that art that is specifically "christian" is usually not very good. So I can't account for the rest of the stories in the book.
Mary
Jun 27, 2007 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A lovely collection of sharp and insightful short stories. Lott gives a good introduction to what a "Christian short story" is. These are pleasurable and scintillating.

Enjoy!
Grace
Aug 02, 2007 Grace rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian writers
I wasn't blown away by anything here. Probably my favorite story was the one by Bret Lott, who edited the volume.
Mark
"The Results of a Dog Going Blind" by Rebecca Schmuck is worth the price of the book. Stupendous writing!
Amir Farouk
Amir Farouk marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Isac Rezk-allah
Isac Rezk-allah marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Sandra
Sandra added it
Jun 07, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Monica Madaus
Monica Madaus marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Melissa Brown
Melissa Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Ongoma Asumwa
Ongoma Asumwa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 02, 2013
Nefertari
Nefertari marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2012
Katherine Willis Pershey
Katherine Willis Pershey marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2012
Seth Woodley
Seth Woodley marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2011
ending 1 4 Sep 18, 2008 12:09PM
Jewel A Song I Knew By Heart: A Novel The Hunt Club Dead Low Tide Ancient Highway