Start by marking “The Best Christian Short Stories: Short Stories Sharpened by Faith” as Want to Read:
The Best Christian Short Stories: Short Stories Sharpened by Faith

The Best Christian Short Stories: Short Stories Sharpened by Faith

The first volume in a collection of contemporary fiction that combines the artistry of critically accaimed writers with a clear Christian worldview.

From Homer Hickam, the best-selling author of Rocket Boys--which later became the movie October Sky to editor and contributing best-selling author Bret Lott, this collection spans a talented community writing an eclectic blend
Published July 1st 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Best Christian Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Christian Short Stories

David Gregg
There is much too little good Christian fiction out there that isn't sappy or romantic, and the genre of the short story is even more hard to come by. This is a book for people who like a story for its own sake. The stories can be considered Christian, but without an agenda--no big feeling of forced spirituality.

I found the literary quality to be quite good. This selection of short stories makes a good introduction to quality, non-preachy Christian literature.
Peter DeHaan
Apr 04, 2016 Peter DeHaan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Normally if I don't like a book, I don't post a review, but since the title includes the word "best" in it I want to share my warning.

I expected much and received little.

Perhaps I focus too much on flash fiction. Possibly I read too many YA books to appreciate writing that is more “serious.” It could be I lack patience. Maybe I don’t know how to truly appreciate short stories. But just possibly this collection is not all that good. I wouldn't call it is “the best.”

I started every storiy but only
Starry
Feb 27, 2010 Starry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I love compilations of short stories
I have often been disappointed with Christian fiction.

So this book of Christian short stories was a bit of a gamble. But I enjoyed. It contains a good mix of settings and perspectives and even concepts of faith (some not necessarily Christian but that give Christians something to think about). And one of the authors is a friend of my mother's, which was a pleasant surprise.
David Drury
What I learned from this book, which re-published my short story "Things We Knew When the House Caught Fire," is that my short story is not only Christian (who knew?)but that it is apparently VERY Christian. My story, in fact, looks down its nose at me and tells me that it has a lot of good news for me out in the lobby.
Stephanie
Jan 15, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband's has a short story in here. I like the story a lot, but I don't necessarily like Christian short stories because I feel that art that is specifically "christian" is usually not very good. So I can't account for the rest of the stories in the book.
Mark
Jul 07, 2013 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Results of a Dog Going Blind" by Rebecca Schmuck is worth the price of the book. Stupendous writing!
Grace
Aug 02, 2007 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian writers
I wasn't blown away by anything here. Probably my favorite story was the one by Bret Lott, who edited the volume.
Mary
Jun 27, 2007 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A lovely collection of sharp and insightful short stories. Lott gives a good introduction to what a "Christian short story" is. These are pleasurable and scintillating.

Enjoy!
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2008
Lauren
Lauren rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2017
Peter
Peter rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2010
John Henry
John Henry rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2010
John
John rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2009
Annalee
Annalee rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Eileen Sanchez
Eileen Sanchez rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
May 14, 2009
Zeb
Zeb rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2012
John
John rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2011
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2014
Michael Niccum
Michael Niccum rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Adriana Cabrera
Adriana Cabrera rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Mandy Flemming
Mandy Flemming rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2007
Marius S
Marius S rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2007
Donald White
Donald White rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Mike Elliott
Mike Elliott rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2010
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
ending 1 4 Sep 18, 2008 12:09PM
Bret Lott is the bestselling author of fourteen books, most recently the nonfiction collection Letters and Life: On Being a Writer, On Being a Christian (Crossway 2013) and the novel Dead Low Tide (Random House 2012). Other books include the story collection The Difference Between Women and Men, the nonfiction book Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer’s Life, and the novels Jewe ...more
More about Bret Lott...