Start by marking “The Sunday List of Dreams” as Want to Read:
The Sunday List of Dreams

The Sunday List of Dreams

3.42  ·  Rating Details ·  1,203 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
Connie Nixon is no stranger to making lists. In fact, she has rewritten the list of her deepest desires no fewer than forty-eight times. And each Sunday, for as long as she can remember, she’s tinkered with it. But actually doing something about her desires is a different story—until the night she comes across a box belonging to her estranged daughter…and makes a stunning ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sunday List of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunday List of Dreams

Melodie
Mar 09, 2016 Melodie rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Connie Nixon has reached retirement after a long and productive nursing career. She has a list of dreams that she has created and edited every Sunday evening for as long as she can remember. After the requisite retirement party she finds herself rambling about her house, finally tackling the dreaded cleaning out of the garage. It is there she is hit with, if not now..when?
And so begins her grand retirement adventure. It is by turns emotional,ridiculously funny, frustrating, eye-opening. I had
Cynthia
Jan 02, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was ok
I thought the concept was great--a woman who has denied her dreams and desires her whole life and finally going after them, reconnecting with her estanged daughter, and finding herself. But somewhere along the way I stopped enjoying this book. I don't know if it was because the book just went on and on about sex toys or all of the crying for joy. Every single paragraph was just overflowing with too much flowerly language for my taste. Example:

"In the back of her mind, in a place that never real
Kathy
Sep 17, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I am still kind of shaking my head about this one, and wondering if I have just become the world's most critical and nitpicky reader.

How a book in which a middle aged woman, retiring from her very important and forever job as a nurse, discovers her estranged daughter (one of three) is a CEO of a sex toy company (something that never, apparently, got to her before in the wilds of the MidWest where no one sees the news from New York), reunites with her, and becomes a crackerjack salesperson of the
Slone
Feb 08, 2009 Slone rated it it was ok
An OK book, but too repetitive. Yes, Nurse Nixon is wild and empowered, but she takes too long to realize it and embrace it. Maybe that was the point: It took all that meandering prose for HER to realize it, but when the reader knows it, what's the point after that? When YOU know where the plot's going before it gets there, what's the incentive for reading more? It has to be good writing, and this was too overwrought and wordy to be that.

The second of two books about lists that I've read lately
Allison
Jan 09, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
This is the first I have read by this author. I liked it. It was inspriational for where I am in my life right now. It made me think about my own list of dreams, saying yes, not being afraid and doing what I wanted to do. It also made me think about older women, age, and my relationship with my mother. The ending could have been stronger.

Will definitely make for interesting book club discussion!
Linda
Jan 25, 2015 Linda rated it did not like it
I can't say this is the worst thing ever written, as I haven't read everything. It's by far the worst thing I've ever read. Poorly written, even more poorly edited. " Wondering if you stay alone and when you turn 45 who will help you with your canes...". Wait, WHAT? At least one of this woman's daughter's is over 30, she's already stated she's 58. And a male character was introduced by using the word "studly". Oh my. I've read other things by Kris Radish, and really enjoyed them. IMHO, this one ...more
Tamalam
Sep 01, 2009 Tamalam rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I basically skimmed through the end of it. I was going to rate it "didn't like" but I liked the IDEA of the story - just not how it was written. Connie is a newly retired nurse, who was also a single mom to three daughters. Apparently she lived her whole life making a "list of dreams" she hoped to start following now that she has more free time on her hands. Upon cleaning out her garage, she discovers that her oldest daughter is successfully running a sex-toy business! She immediately (and impul ...more
Melanie
Apr 01, 2014 Melanie rated it liked it
For the most part, I liked the story. I felt it contained an important message about how precious life is and how one should enjoy life's many blessings. It also emphasized the importance of mending relationships, in this case a mother and daughter. I especially loved how some parts of the story made me laugh out loud. What I wasn't a big fan of, however, was the repetitiveness of some parts of the story and the many different names referenced for each character. It sometimes got confusing and e ...more
Gloria
Jul 27, 2009 Gloria rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
This is chick-lit for the middle-aged woman (mostly). The author has a clear agenda... to encourage woman to own their own lives and live out their dreams. That is great. The story rambles, however, and keeps emphasizing certain points. Whenever a character's relationship even starts to get warm and fuzzy, Radish backs off leaving you a bit disappointed. It has a feminist tone rather interestingly mixed with Midwestern values. In general, a light and good read. Rural Indiana meets New York City!
Diane
Dec 28, 2007 Diane rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fiftyish Females
When I finished this book I felt entertained and satisfied. The characters were very similar to Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral and the outcome was predictable, but the story and the way it was told made the journey of discovery fun.

I wonder how many women keep a secret list of dreams? Or, as it's sometimes called, a "bucket list?" What are the things they long for at various times in their lives? How do their longings change as they age or as circumstances change?
Krista
Feb 24, 2009 Krista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2009
This book made me cry. A lot. A whole fucking lot.

There's something about the idea of waiting to live, waiting for other people to be done or ready so that you can live your life, that really hit home for me. I love the sexual revolution parts, the parts about finding yourself. It makes me want to buy this for my mother and a hell of a lot of other women.
Ellie Revert
May 11, 2010 Ellie Revert rated it did not like it
The basic idea was good, but the author kept going over and over and over the same things--maybe better editing would have helped. I'm 67, so the age group is right for me to connect---but my life is so fulfilling that it's hard to imagine the depth of Connie's many wasted years before finding some freedom. (not sure I needed to know so much about sextoys, though)
Cindee Bowen
Mar 26, 2007 Cindee Bowen rated it liked it
As I began reading this book, I really loved the story and the message behind it. By the second half of the book, I felt like the author was hitting me over the head with a cliche. What started out so well, ended on a disappointing note.
Kathy Bringardner
Mar 16, 2010 Kathy Bringardner rated it it was ok
I think I'm finished reading the books by this author. I absolutely loved Annie Freeman's Fabulous Travelling Funeral and have been disappointed in the rest of her books. This one was a bit ridiculous and mildly entertaining.
Alvera
May 18, 2014 Alvera rated it really liked it
This book did not pull me through it with a driving story line; while the characters have adventures, it's more a story about finding and accepting yourself and being willing to dream and hope. I found myself meandering through it and smiling a lot; reading it felt a little like a relaxed day laying around in a hammock, fun, no sense of urgency, poetic, and worthwhile without really going anywhere. It's really just a crazy celebration of womanhood and the beauty of women of all types, their rela ...more
Maria Ferreira-straight
A quick read. Good story about relationships between mothers and daughters.
Kristal Cooper
Question #1: Why did she put the list at the end of the book? It would have saved me a lot of confusion in the first few chapters if I knew what was going on with the list.

Question #2: Why are there three women in hospital gowns on the front cover, none of which resemble characters in the book? I was more than a bit thrown off by that too.

I had a hard time getting into this one. Kris Radish has a tendency toward free-flowing writing that often results in sentences that are 8 lines long. Having a
Paula
Jul 07, 2008 Paula rated it really liked it
I had read "Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral" also by Radish a while back, so I knew this was going to be a celebration of women, feminism to the highest p0wer (excuse the pun!) and a great read. I was not at all disappointed. An obsessive list-maker myself, I also desired to read this book when I read that the female protagonist, Connie Franklin Nixon, also spent a lot of time (30+ years!) making lists. What she discovered, which made sense to me, is that it is fine to make a list and ...more
Megan
Jan 15, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
Her three decade old career as a nurse is counting down to the final days leaving fifty-eight years old Connie Nixon frightened about the future as she is also selling her home in Indiana. Over the past thirty years, Connie has been compiling a SUNDAY LIST OF DREAMS to include thirty-seven places she wants to visit and people she wants to see. Now with the clock ticking down, she makes last second revisions to add changes she feels she must make starting with don¿t be afraid and toss out the ala ...more
Courtney Johnson
Jan 14, 2016 Courtney Johnson rated it it was ok
This book had a good idea for the theme, however it quickly turned into a book all about sex. I was quite surprised to notice a sex dictionary and even sex tips at the end of the book. The general idea of living life to the fullest and doing what you want was good, but deeply overshadowed.
theresa
awful. sorry but I don't have a need for a book to er...tell me that it's ok to get in"touch" with myself if you get what I mean. please, it's 2014,i'm nearly 50,the main character in the book is 54 and she's just figuring out that sex toys are alright? huh? movng on....
Katey
Sep 04, 2012 Katey rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-challenge
I was really excited to read this book (I, too, make lists obsessively!) but I found myself really struggling to get through it. There were great, captivating passages, and then the author would get bogged down in a schlocky mire of describing (AGAIN) how women were part of a cosmic universe, or something.
I found the characters likeable, but their motivations and actions at times far-fetched. Did it really take our protagonist the majority of the novel to figure out what living her list really
Shonna Froebel
May 23, 2015 Shonna Froebel rated it it was amazing
This was a great book and very positive and uplifting.
Connie Franklin Nixon, divorced mother of 3 grown daughters is just about to retire from her career as a nurse. Before starting as a medical consultant, she has three months in which to fulfill some of the dreams she has been adding to her list since she was pregnant with her first daughter. As she goes through her household, getting rid of things, she discovers that her oldest daughter has a business making and selling sex toys. This launche
Robyn Yeary
Feb 10, 2016 Robyn Yeary rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this book, but alas, I say don't bother. I got sick of reading "sex toys" over and over and over. She needed a good editor, it could have been much better if she hadn't been repetitive and hung up on the whole sex thing. Oh well.
Amy
May 10, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book. I loved an Elgant Gathering of White Snow by this author, and was prepaed for the "woman power" vibe, but my god, the ADJECTIVES! I wanted to delete about half the descriptions about crazy sexy in charge nurse Coonie Franklin Nixon's new empowered sexy crazy take charge life. Get the picture? This book needed some serious editing. I am not usually one to bash someone's personal style of writing, but this drove me CRAZY. The story was great, there were some awes ...more
Jill Furedy
Feb 25, 2011 Jill Furedy rated it liked it
We'd gotten in a promotional copy of this book at work, so I picked it up to try. However I think I'm the wrong demographic: this is geared towards my mother's age group, though I suppose you could say it's learning about the struggles of previous generations (I use struggles loosely here, yes there are issues but not the earthshattering variety). I also didn't read the back enough to realize it would be so focused on empowering women's sexuality. It's a little awkward and uncomfortable to read ...more
Deborah
Jan 12, 2016 Deborah rated it really liked it
This is definitely "chick-lit", but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The woman in the story, Connie, sounds like someone I would enjoy being great friends with. This was a totally entertaining novel.
Loretta
Dec 23, 2014 Loretta rated it really liked it
The title caught my eye first because I am a list maker. Then I enjoyed the writings of Kris Radish. This book was very different, but interesting. It was about following but not following the list and being open to possibilities. A mother who discovers her estranged daughter is the owner and designer of Diva's sex toys. Different!
Linda
Jun 25, 2008 Linda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Women over 50
At the suggestion of my stepmother I have read most of this author's books. She writes for older women about female bonding and the beauty of aging. I enjoyed all her books including this one.

Her characters, however, are not fully developed and I was often confused about or lacked empathy for the myriad of women who became a part of the storyline. Also in this book and the others I have read the main conflict is strong but the plot points and climax seem weak so there is a sense of plodding.

Bu
Elaine Chew
Jun 18, 2014 Elaine Chew rated it did not like it
Not at all my kind of book. I did the audio version of it, I don't know if that makes a difference but I got more than half way through it and called it quits.
  • Back Roads (Glens Crossing, #1)
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • Tempted
  • First Comes Love
  • Firebird
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • Under Cover
  • Undone
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)
  • Desire (Notorious, #3)
  • A Season Beyond a Kiss
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • Secrets of a Family Album
  • A Sister's Test (Sisters of Holmes County, #2)
  • In Fidelity
  • Lethal Seduction
  • Winter Rose
Kris started writing the moment she could hold a pencil. She grew up in Wisconsin, graduted from the University of Wisconsin with a journalism degree and hit the ground running. Her father calls her "the tornado". She worked as a newspaper reporter, bureau chief, nationally syndicated columnist, magazine writer, university lecturer, bartender, waitress, worm harvester, window washer....to name a f ...more
More about Kris Radish...

“Not going back is fine.
Not going back but occasionally visiting might be best.
Not going back but remembering so you don’t see the same view twice.
Not going back so you can turn a new page, write a new chapter, develop an entire new list.
Not going back so you can stretch and grow and see yourself in a light that you never knew existed.
Not going back so that you can fly. Fly. ”
14 likes