Start by marking “Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga” as Want to Read:
Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga

Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga

The first definitive biography of the ultimate American rock bandHow did a pair of little Dutch boys trained in classical music grow up to become the nucleus of the most popular heavy metal band of all time? What's the secret behind Eddie Van Halen's incredible fast and furious guitar solos? What makes David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar so wacky? And, are all those stories abo ...more
Published May 13th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Wants Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Wants Some

Dan De Leon
Jul 25, 2013 Dan De Leon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Van Hagar fans
Recommended to Dan by: Kevin Frazer
Having just read Tony Fletcher's "A Light that Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths," I found Ian Christe's portrayal of Van Halen to read like a teenage novel in comparison. Halfway through the book, I found that my only motivation for continuing to the end was my curiosity about what went wrong in the band. Of course, I admit my bias conflicts with Christe's. I am a Van Halen purist, loving their David Lee Roth era stuff and abhorring Sammy Hagar's stint with the band; Christe holds ...more
Graden
Sep 08, 2008 Graden rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A complete bummer of a book about a band the epitomizes fun and good times. Not sure how a fun-loving band like Van Halen could earn such a downer of a book. Not much to the book. The author provides some new insight and deals with a couple of rumors and myths that have followed the band for years. I have never paid much attention to the band although I have listened to the David Lee Roth albums many, many times, but still felt, after reading the book, that there wasn't much new revealed. Very d ...more
David Kudlinski
Feb 25, 2015 David Kudlinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest, yet unsustainable rock and roll band was Van Halen. Eddie Valen’s Dutch parents let him start drinking and smoking at the age of 12. Though arguably the best rock and roll guitarist of all time, he would go in and out of rehab throughout his career and not develop the assertiveness to manage his lead singers, David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar, whose showmanship helped propel the band to stardom. Roth has an out of control ego, and Hagar has an unquenchable drive for his own per ...more
Omar Leal
If you're looking for a deep analysis of the van Halen phenomenon this wouldn't be the book to get it from. Lots of detail in the book but it reads more like a cobbled together effort of various news sources and articles. The author was, unfortunately, unable to speak to any of the actual members of Van Halen so most of their quotes come from various interviews through the years. A definite clue into the depth of the reporting is quoting a Guitar world interview for insight into marriage issues. ...more
John
Jan 13, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Ian Christie tells the story of Van Halen through numerous magazine articles. " The Van Halen Saga " fails to deliver any interviews from past or current band members. The accounts are all second hand, which in return makes the book read like one big jumbled up magazine article. However the book does deliver enough info on the band to gather that VH was not only one of the best rock bands but also the most dramatic. Definitely worth the read if you are a VH or music fan.
Chris Wagnon
Jul 09, 2015 Chris Wagnon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good timing on getting done with this last night before the concert tonight. Overall a pretty good old school Van Halen fan's perspective of the history of the bands from it's early roots in Southern California, to being the biggest hard rock band in the land in the early 80s all of the Dave, Sammy and Gary drama to their return with David Lee Roth. If you're a hardcore fan there won't be a lot of surprises in this book, but it's a good comprehensive history of the band up to 2008. I just wish i ...more
Mark
Jan 23, 2008 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I understand why we hate rock bands from 1970s and 80s. It isn't the style, hair, clothing. Nor is it the music or the schlock.

It's the attitude.

As much pussy the likes of David Lee Roth pulled in and no matter how much dudes wanted to be Eddie Van Halen, nobody under the age of 32 is really going to care because they were assholes. Kiss. Van Halen. Journey. The crop of 1980s bands. Hell, even punk, disco, Yacht Rock, et al.

They were all cocky and generally thought that they were all better t
V
Jan 14, 2016 V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for any VH fan. This is not a bubbleheaded rock bio - not a lot of detail about either drugs or women. This is a consummate professional band biography which details how the songs were crafted, how EVH built (and rebuilt) his famous guitars, strife within the band (in its various make-ups) and other interesting tidbits. I loved it.
Daniel
A breezy read. I wish it had been more in-depth, particularly about Eddie's creative process and which songs were played on various tours. Still, I couldn't get enough.
Robyn
Jun 01, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lot of technical info that is probably better understood by a musician. But I felt that made this book stand out from other musician biographies.
John
Oct 07, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible how dysfunctional the relationships were/are. Still, reading it had me pulling out all my VH records for weeks after.
Chris
Jul 23, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Too bad this book was published in 2007, before the VH/David Lee Roth reunion tour. On the plus side, the book documents everything the boys in the band have done since their early days in Pasadena. But without the actual music, the book sort of takes the fun out of everything. Members are portrayed as selfish overgrown brats who publicly hate each other. There is also no insight whatsoever into why a wealthy, popular and famous musical genius like Eddie has wound up a divorced alcoholic who can ...more
Steve
Jun 05, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Van Halen bio that runs into just about a few years ago. It's very up-to-the-minute.
Lisa
Feb 03, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Van Halen. I don't love Van Halen.
I like Van Hagar. I don't love Van Hagar.
My favorite songs are Beautiful Girls and When Love Comes Walking In...

I was born in 76 and I was first introduced to Van Halen when 1984 was released. Since then, I have followed their music and traveled back to where they began. I don't favor Roth or Hagar.

I was pleasantly surprised with this biography. None of the members were painted as heroes or heels and a wonderful coaster ride.

I'm glad I read the book. Da
Tom Morgan
Good not great. More of a compilation of what's been said before when I wanted it to be "Behind the Behind the Music" with more fresh interviews and input from crew and contemporaries who have no stake in keeping the myth afloat. It is well put together and reads as a single narrative despite being largely the product of decades of press. Diehard VH fans will love it while those who just love rock and roll stories will still want more dirt.
B. zee
Oct 13, 2007 B. zee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compared to The Dirt, Everybody Wants Some is completely neutered, whcih is probably due to the fact that the author was never actually able to speak to any of the band members while writing the book. In other words the author culled the book together from old interviews and articles and that's how it reads. As a result, I don't think the book will end up winning over any new fans.
Mark
Nov 24, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving VH as I do, I expected more from this book. But in typical 'quasi-journalistic' style, Christe does not deliver the goods. Almost everything he points out as fact in this book is backed up by non-tendered 'quotes'. It's all basically hearsay cobbled together by out of context quotes from various music magazines over the years. Just lazy journalism to me.
Doibles Magauzem
Nov 20, 2007 Doibles Magauzem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fully expecting this book to be slanted in some way - either towards the Van Halen brothers camp or the Roth camp, but Christe pulls no punches here. No player in this ongoing drama comes out completely unscathed. The VH story always needed someone to tell it like it is, and this "Everybody Wants Some" seems to succeed in doing just that.
Pat Wakeman
Reads like it was written by a knowledgable reporter/fan/guitar enthusiast...but there's no inside scoop. All band member quotes are culled from third party publications (Rolling Stone, Creem, etc.). Nothing much new here for an avid VH enthusiast. I found myself rushing through the last third of the book to get it over with.
Bruce Kirby
Mar 12, 2015 Bruce Kirby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written rock bio on one of the world's most famous bands. Ian Christie does a great job of making the story of Van Halen interesting as these things go. I was surprised at all of the infighting and politics but as a tribute to the band they play their show with professionalism.
Kitt-e-kat
Nov 18, 2009 Kitt-e-kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VERY INFORMATIONAL IF YOU ARE INTO VAN HALEN ON HOW THEY GOT STARTED AND PROGRESSED AS A BAND UNTIL THE HAGAR BREAKUP. I ALSO READ VALERIE BERTENELI'S BIO AFTER THIS BOOK TO COMPARE, SHE TALKS ALOT ABOUT HER LIFE WITH EDDIE AS SOME OF THE STUFF THIS BOOK DESCRIBES.
Glenda
Feb 13, 2013 Glenda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be fair I think you have to be a hard core Van Halen fan to love this book and I'm not. I do love some if their songs but I found a lot of the musical details boring. I will say that I loved when David lee Roth was in the band because to me that's Van Halen!
Gunther
Jan 01, 2014 Gunther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent story of two brothers who came to America with $50 and a piano, proving anything can be achieved
Matt
Jan 14, 2009 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an OK book. But I felt like it was mainly a book put together based on articles someone had researched. I felt like given the time, I could have written this book. I like Ian Christe though...he's good.
Jeff Wilson
Jan 03, 2014 Jeff Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book detailing the ups and downs of Van Halen from David Lee Roth to Sammy.
Jack
Apr 01, 2011 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read, in depth, a very comprehensive look at Van Halen througout the years. A little harsh in its take on Diamond Dave though. Still.. a very worthwile read for Van Halen fans.
Tome Addiction
If your a Van Halen fan you will probably enjoy this Rockography but not written by a ghost writer for the band members more of a historical account than Rockography.
Daniel
Oct 09, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have listened neither to Van Halen nor Huey Lewis and the News but as a jazz musician I fervently believe imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
C.J.
A great read on Van Halen, especially in this updated edition, and even more timely with the news that the first Dave Roth-helmed VH album since 1984 will be a reality.
Matt
Jan 30, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review for the American Prospect.

• No Regrets: A Rock 'n' Roll Memoir
  • Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful
  • Enter Night: A Biography of Metallica
  • The Red Hot Chili Peppers: An Oral/Visual History
  • Radiohead and Philosophy: Fitter Happier More Deductive
  • My Friend Michael: Growing Up With The King Of Pop
  • Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • Pink Floyd and Philosophy: Careful with that Axiom, Eugene!
  • Not Dead and Not for Sale
  • Crazy from the Heat
  • Wilco: Learning How to Die
  • Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney
  • Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption-from South Central to Hollywood
Ian Christe is the author of Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal and Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga. He is the publisher of Bazillion Points Books, home to Swedish Death Metal, Murder in the Front Row, Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries, Touch and Go, Experiencing Nirvana, Heavy Metal Movies and other authoritative books about powerful movements and moments ...more
More about Ian Christe...