Start by marking “Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga” as Want to Read:
Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga

Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The first definitive biography of the ultimate American rock bandHow did a pair of little Dutch boys trained in classical music grow up to become the nucleus of the most popular heavy metal band of all time? What's the secret behind Eddie Van Halen's incredible fast and furious guitar solos? What makes David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar so wacky? And, are all those stories abo ...more
Published May 13th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Wants Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Wants Some

Dan De Leon
Jul 25, 2013 Dan De Leon rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Van Hagar fans
Recommended to Dan by: Kevin Frazer
Having just read Tony Fletcher's "A Light that Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths," I found Ian Christe's portrayal of Van Halen to read like a teenage novel in comparison. Halfway through the book, I found that my only motivation for continuing to the end was my curiosity about what went wrong in the band. Of course, I admit my bias conflicts with Christe's. I am a Van Halen purist, loving their David Lee Roth era stuff and abhorring Sammy Hagar's stint with the band; Christe holds ...more
Omar Leal
If you're looking for a deep analysis of the van Halen phenomenon this wouldn't be the book to get it from. Lots of detail in the book but it reads more like a cobbled together effort of various news sources and articles. The author was, unfortunately, unable to speak to any of the actual members of Van Halen so most of their quotes come from various interviews through the years. A definite clue into the depth of the reporting is quoting a Guitar world interview for insight into marriage issues. ...more
Graden
A complete bummer of a book about a band the epitomizes fun and good times. Not sure how a fun-loving band like Van Halen could earn such a downer of a book. Not much to the book. The author provides some new insight and deals with a couple of rumors and myths that have followed the band for years. I have never paid much attention to the band although I have listened to the David Lee Roth albums many, many times, but still felt, after reading the book, that there wasn't much new revealed. Very d ...more
David Kudlinski
One of the greatest, yet unsustainable rock and roll band was Van Halen. Eddie Valen’s Dutch parents let him start drinking and smoking at the age of 12. Though arguably the best rock and roll guitarist of all time, he would go in and out of rehab throughout his career and not develop the assertiveness to manage his lead singers, David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar, whose showmanship helped propel the band to stardom. Roth has an out of control ego, and Hagar has an unquenchable drive for his own per ...more
Mark
I understand why we hate rock bands from 1970s and 80s. It isn't the style, hair, clothing. Nor is it the music or the schlock.

It's the attitude.

As much pussy the likes of David Lee Roth pulled in and no matter how much dudes wanted to be Eddie Van Halen, nobody under the age of 32 is really going to care because they were assholes. Kiss. Van Halen. Journey. The crop of 1980s bands. Hell, even punk, disco, Yacht Rock, et al.

They were all cocky and generally thought that they were all better t
John
Author Ian Christie tells the story of Van Halen through numerous magazine articles. " The Van Halen Saga " fails to deliver any interviews from past or current band members. The accounts are all second hand, which in return makes the book read like one big jumbled up magazine article. However the book does deliver enough info on the band to gather that VH was not only one of the best rock bands but also the most dramatic. Definitely worth the read if you are a VH or music fan.
Chris
Too bad this book was published in 2007, before the VH/David Lee Roth reunion tour. On the plus side, the book documents everything the boys in the band have done since their early days in Pasadena. But without the actual music, the book sort of takes the fun out of everything. Members are portrayed as selfish overgrown brats who publicly hate each other. There is also no insight whatsoever into why a wealthy, popular and famous musical genius like Eddie has wound up a divorced alcoholic who can ...more
Lisa
I like Van Halen. I don't love Van Halen.
I like Van Hagar. I don't love Van Hagar.
My favorite songs are Beautiful Girls and When Love Comes Walking In...

I was born in 76 and I was first introduced to Van Halen when 1984 was released. Since then, I have followed their music and traveled back to where they began. I don't favor Roth or Hagar.

I was pleasantly surprised with this biography. None of the members were painted as heroes or heels and a wonderful coaster ride.

I'm glad I read the book. Da
Tom Morgan
Good not great. More of a compilation of what's been said before when I wanted it to be "Behind the Behind the Music" with more fresh interviews and input from crew and contemporaries who have no stake in keeping the myth afloat. It is well put together and reads as a single narrative despite being largely the product of decades of press. Diehard VH fans will love it while those who just love rock and roll stories will still want more dirt.
B. zee
Compared to The Dirt, Everybody Wants Some is completely neutered, whcih is probably due to the fact that the author was never actually able to speak to any of the band members while writing the book. In other words the author culled the book together from old interviews and articles and that's how it reads. As a result, I don't think the book will end up winning over any new fans.
Mark
Loving VH as I do, I expected more from this book. But in typical 'quasi-journalistic' style, Christe does not deliver the goods. Almost everything he points out as fact in this book is backed up by non-tendered 'quotes'. It's all basically hearsay cobbled together by out of context quotes from various music magazines over the years. Just lazy journalism to me.
Doibles Magauzem
I was fully expecting this book to be slanted in some way - either towards the Van Halen brothers camp or the Roth camp, but Christe pulls no punches here. No player in this ongoing drama comes out completely unscathed. The VH story always needed someone to tell it like it is, and this "Everybody Wants Some" seems to succeed in doing just that.
Pat Wakeman
Reads like it was written by a knowledgable reporter/fan/guitar enthusiast...but there's no inside scoop. All band member quotes are culled from third party publications (Rolling Stone, Creem, etc.). Nothing much new here for an avid VH enthusiast. I found myself rushing through the last third of the book to get it over with.
Bruce Kirby
A well written rock bio on one of the world's most famous bands. Ian Christie does a great job of making the story of Van Halen interesting as these things go. I was surprised at all of the infighting and politics but as a tribute to the band they play their show with professionalism.
Kitt-e-kat
VERY INFORMATIONAL IF YOU ARE INTO VAN HALEN ON HOW THEY GOT STARTED AND PROGRESSED AS A BAND UNTIL THE HAGAR BREAKUP. I ALSO READ VALERIE BERTENELI'S BIO AFTER THIS BOOK TO COMPARE, SHE TALKS ALOT ABOUT HER LIFE WITH EDDIE AS SOME OF THE STUFF THIS BOOK DESCRIBES.
Glenda
To be fair I think you have to be a hard core Van Halen fan to love this book and I'm not. I do love some if their songs but I found a lot of the musical details boring. I will say that I loved when David lee Roth was in the band because to me that's Van Halen!
Gunther
excellent story of two brothers who came to America with $50 and a piano, proving anything can be achieved
M
This is an OK book. But I felt like it was mainly a book put together based on articles someone had researched. I felt like given the time, I could have written this book. I like Ian Christe though...he's good.
Jeff Wilson
Excellent book detailing the ups and downs of Van Halen from David Lee Roth to Sammy.
Jack
Nice read, in depth, a very comprehensive look at Van Halen througout the years. A little harsh in its take on Diamond Dave though. Still.. a very worthwile read for Van Halen fans.
Daniel
I have listened neither to Van Halen nor Huey Lewis and the News but as a jazz musician I fervently believe imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
C.J.
A great read on Van Halen, especially in this updated edition, and even more timely with the news that the first Dave Roth-helmed VH album since 1984 will be a reality.
Matt
My review for the American Prospect.

Louie Verile JR.
fun... I was interested in the back story of the band's political infighting and didnt get a lot of it. Still enjoyable though!
Rob
Good book. Some insight to the band and their troubles. I saw the reunion with Roth... 2008 I guess?
Bill
Juicy, but bitter. Ultimately, a sad expose on one of rocks most influential groups.
Kathleen Meyer
Rock stars, playing, drinking, drugging, and breaking up.
Bee
Definitely interesting, although a little slow in parts.
Jeff
Total fluff. Would be awful to the "non VH fan".
Adam
  • Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him
  • Crazy from the Heat
  • Not Dead and Not for Sale
  • The Road to Woodstock
  • Pink Floyd and Philosophy: Careful with that Axiom, Eugene!
  • Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music
  • Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney
  • Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption-from South Central to Hollywood
  • The Rolling Stone Interviews
  • KISS: Behind the Mask - Official Authorized Biography
  • Walk This Way: The Autobiography of Aerosmith
Ian Christe is the author of Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal and Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga. He is the publisher of Bazillion Points Books, home to Swedish Death Metal, Murder in the Front Row, Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries, Touch and Go, Experiencing Nirvana, Heavy Metal Movies and other authoritative books about powerful movements and moments ...more
More about Ian Christe...
Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga Höllen-Lärm - Die komplette, schonungslose, einzigartige Geschichte des Heavy Metal (German Edition) VAN HALEN Everybody Wants Some: 246