Start by marking “The Elements of Taste” as Want to Read:
The Elements of Taste

The Elements of Taste

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Gray Kunz has teamed up with food writer Peter Kaminsky to put together a cookbook that looks precisely at what taste is. They have identified 14 basic tastes in the chef's palate and offer recipes showing how to use these fundamental building blocks.
Published December 14th 2008 by Little, Brown and Company (first published October 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Elements of Taste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elements of Taste

Beth
They said that other cookbooks had not explored the elements of taste before, I don't know what cookbooks they were reading but the ones I've read are most certainly aware of the elements of taste and how to properly layer flavors. As I flipped through the recipes, I realized this was just not MY taste.
Eva Luna
I checked this out from a awesome local library (of which i just became a supporter of, yay!) Lovely recipes, with a unique way of portraying the recipes. Instead of a long list of items you need and steps thereafter, this cookbook lists micro-recipes inside the main one, so you are able to get your mise en place in order before the serious cooking begins. Saturday I'll be trying out the crab and lemon thyme souffles with chervil sauce. Sunday we'll be having pan-seared scallops in a riesling br...more
Serge Pierro
Excellent book that revolves around a great concept of defining the tastes in food ala a wine review. My understanding of flavors and the progression of flavors was greatly enhanced by this book. I would have given it 5 stars, but the recipes tended to lean towards exotic ingredients that most people would not have access to. They should have led off each chapter with a "basic" recipe, to allow readers to partake in the experience, before wandering off to recipes that were more exotic in nature.
Jenn Mar
I bought this book ten years ago, recommended to me by the bookseller at Green Apple, San Francisco, as a classic, must-have. I agree with him completely. This is the book that will teach you how to deconstruct the experience of eating, so that you learn about the artful techniques of cooking. Rocko DiSpirito kind of gives a nod to Gray Kunz in his own cookbook published years later, by breaking down his recipes into the elements of taste.
Vbm923
everything you could want in a cook book. great pictures, great food, great explanations. for professionals or hard core home cooks. a classic.
Jerrod Stephan
Apr 05, 2007 Jerrod Stephan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is or knows a chef or a cook
Shelves: culinarybooks
Great book by two very knowledgeable chefs, breaks down "Tastes" very unconventionably, and it works better than any other cookbook I've read.
Amy
The actual elements of taste made sense, but I wonder why all the recipes sounded absolutely disgusting??
jared
Sound, general taxis of taste. key points in the experience of suggested recipes.
moshimoshineko
moshimoshineko marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Alexandra Demianova
Alexandra Demianova marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Anne Broussard
Anne Broussard marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Martin Earl
Martin Earl marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Katia Mcnamara
Katia Mcnamara marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Oct 15, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Mandy Bublitz
Mandy Bublitz marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
JC
JC marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Steven Stadnicki
Steven Stadnicki marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Daniel Pool
Daniel Pool marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013