Start by marking “The Steppe, And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Steppe, And Other Stories

The Steppe, And Other Stories

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  442 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The fifth volume of Chekhov short stories completes the publication in the World Classics series of his entire work as a mature fiction-writer. Here are 22 stories, including "The Steppe," Chekhov's first short story to be published in a serious Russian literary journal. All the texts are taken from the highly-acclaimed translation by Ronald Hingley.
Published November 19th 1998 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Steppe, And Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steppe, And Other Stories

--Gusev
--The Duel

Publishing History and Notes
Jim
This is a review only of Anton Chekhov's long short story (or short novel) entitled The Steppe, which apparently is not published by itself. I had read it years ago, but felt like giving it another look. It is probably one of my favorite tales of childhood, and certainly my favorite Chekhov story: The story is seen from the point of view of a child in the provinces being taken from his home to attend a school in a larger provincial city. There is a simple beauty and innocence to this tale that t ...more
Arto Marashelian
the exact title of my book is (the steppe and early stories)but i couldn't find that version on goodreads.
there is about 40 short stories in this book, they are the first writings of chekhov in the weekly and monthly newspapers. at 1880 in the era of assassinating of alexander the cesar, there was restrictions on the media but chekhov has to write under those restrictions because it was his only way to provide money for him and his family so that circumstances made him write pointless stories an
Luka Račić
Submerged in the profound heat of the sun, yet well balanced and melancholy, novella "The Steppe" is the most poetic work Chekhov would ever write, and is also his closest leap towards impressionism.

Unlike in his other works, one can really observe Chekhov's deep fascination and the connection with nature's arid beauty.
Two forces that lead the novella are his underlying sense of irony, never abandoning the work and the naivete of the main character, little boy Denis.

"[t]he sun-baked hills, brown
Blaise
This review is only for The Steppe. I have not read the other stories yet. I enjoyed the author's command of language. His descriptions of the land, the weather, the time, and the place were superb. I felt like I was there on the plains (the steppe) with the characters. It reminded me of reading Willa Cather's My Antonia in that way. The story is very simple and that's where the novella fell short for me. The story really never goes anywhere which for me resulted in a complete lack of any kind o ...more
Noor
'The Steppe' is an example of a story that has no major incidents. It mentions the story of a small boy being taken to school in another city by his uncle and his uncle's friend.

I could not locate a 'peak' which the event ascend to. However, the way Checkhov describes the scenery of nature and the natural visuals that they encounter is just amazing.

And the way in which he describes the stillness and vastness of the steppe is just so relaxing and so soothing that it makes your hear beat gos s....
Russio
The edition I have read if this is the Everyman Millennium Project version with The Steppe as its main story and then eight other shorter works, a few of which I had previously read, in it. It contains The Kiss, which is rather good ands have, along with the title story, is considered to be an advance on the others, which are early writings in the career of the prolific and prodigious talent. The Steppe itself is a road story, travelling a long way in the minds of its constantly growing cast of ...more
Sebastiano
Myles
From The Steppe:

"Vasya also looked in the bucket. His eyes became unctuous, and his face became tender, as before, when he saw the fox. He took something out of the bucket, put it in his mouth, and began to chew. A crunching was heard.

'Brothers,' Styopka was astonished, 'Vasya's eating a live gudgeon! Pa!'

'It's not a gudgeon, it's a goby,' Vasya a replied calmly, continuing to chew.

He took the fish's tail from his mouth, looked at it tenderly, and put it back in his mouth. As he chewed and crun
Katja
Что тут комментировать, гениальный Чехов, гениальные повести и рассказы. Читать надо не рецензии, а самого Чехова. "Степь" -- ярчайшая повесть о Малороссии конца 19го века, прочитаешь и как будто сам побывал. Жаль, что не включена в школьную программу.
JacobCHR
Nice prose and interessting characters. Russian culture is so different from what i am used too, so this was a very interessting peak into the history of old mother Russia.
TarasProkopyuk
Очень чувственная повесть Антона Павловича, которая расшевелит чувства даже самого толстокожего человека...
Amanda Farough
Chekhov's mastery of the human condition is phenomenal.
Simão Pedro
A Literatura é caríssima e está em vias de se tornar um luxo para a maioria dos habitantes do nosso país. Se também é verdade que os portugueses não gostam de ler – porque os filmes se vêem mais rápido, não podemos esquecer que as editoras e o Estado têm também a sua quota parte de culpa: um livro na Alemanha custa, em média, 10, ao passo que por cá ronda os 18. Tudo isto para dizer que este livrinho me custou apenas 1,90 - e não me pareceu valer muito mais que isso.

A Estepe é um conto de 160 pá
Anthony Gerrard
This was recommended to me but I didn't like it. OK, I get that it is supposed to be dark, brooding and depressing but it's not for me.
I only finished it because I don't like giving up, ever...
Perhaps if you are a bit of a depressive person who drinks whiskey late into the night and listens to The Smiths this would be right up your street.
Palmyrah
Reading great authors in translation is always frustrating; the authentic auctorial voice is lost, together with all potential delight one might have taken in the play of language itself. Stylists, of course, suffer more in translation than writers for whom the story or subtext is more important than the way the tale is told. Chekov was a stylist.

Still, something comes through, especially in his descriptions of nature. Some of the stories here are very good, particularly 'Easter Eve', 'The Kiss'
Camille
It looks like goodreads doesn't have the exact edition that I read. I did read "The Steppe and Other Stories"... the Everyman's Library cloth edition. However, it didn't have the same stories that are listed in the description here. Mine had The Swedish Match, Easter Eve, Mire, On the Road, Verotchaka, Volodya, The Kiss, Sleepy, and The Steppe. It was translated by Constance Garnett.

Some of these stories I've read before, and some were new to me. This was the first time I have read The Steppe, a
Han Asra
Rating for just The Steppe
Lavinia
Insignificant, I know, but my copy - in Romanian translation - has 500+ pages, so it probably contains different or at least more stories.
The Steppe is obviously the best known, the longest and the most acclaimed. I wasn't blown by it; I'm not much of a fan when it comes to describing landscapes, but I enjoyed its lyricism nevertheless.
I preferred A Nervous Breakdown for its implacability and fine portrayal of Vassilyev, plus many other short & funny ones.
Boris Gregoric
Read it twice but can't remember much of the story or the translators' work.
Chekhov's stories for me at least are not as brilliant as Turgenev's "Sketches", but still quite brilliant compared to most.

My pet peeves are here: too much detail and too much descriptive writing. That's why unlike realistic prose, non-linear writing, when good (which is rare) in few words can cover miles. Or, rather, versts of meaning.
Cátia Susana  Silva
Descobri este livro por acaso e achei que o devia ler. Retrata com bastante realismo a vida na ex-URSS, nomeadamente dos mercadores que tinham de percorrer a grande extensão de estepe, típica deste ponto do globo. A narrativa foca-se essencialmente na percepção que Iegoruchka (uma criança) tem do mundo e das pessoas com que vai convivendo, ao longo da viagem, entre a casa materna e o Liceu onde irá estudar.
Giovanni Luna
Tan variado como su clima y su pueblo; pasando por esos cálidos destellos de verano hasta la oscuridad total invernal; las situaciones de los personajes son de lo más variado, no así la locura y la miseria que se filtra por los entornos y nos deja ver la crueldad humana y sus situaciones enmarañadas, evidenciando las carencias de la cultura actual.
Nuria
Es innegable que Chéjov es un genio. El genio de la brevedad, la descripción fugaz al pintar ambientes, el genio de las muecas que nos dejan, al acabar el relato con una extraña sonrisa melancólica en la boca (efecto secundario del doble significado en sus narraciones).
Muy recomendable.
Marko Ruostetoja
Almost plotless metaphor of Russia's past, then present condition, and open future. Picturesque. Needs to be re-read to be fully understood.
Nuno Martins
Mais um óptimo "conto alargado" de Anton Tchekhov que nos conta a viagem de um jovem rapaz pela imensidão da estepe russa. Mostra-nos também a sociedade rural russa do seu tempo com os seus usos e costumes.
Marinho Lopes
Não tão bom quanto esperava (talvez o tradutor também tenha tido alguma culpa), ainda assim bastante bom. É incrível como se escreve um livro cativante sem que a história dele o seja!
Soledad
Espectacular, como todo lo de Chéjov. El desrrollo de toda la historia termina en un desenlace perfecto. Uno de mis favoritos de este autor, junto con La Dama del Perrito.
Olinda Gil
O Tchékhov que me perdooe mas o texto deixou muito a desejar. Não sei se foi da tradução se do que foi. Talvez esta não tenha sido a melhor escolha de edição...
Raphaël
plusieurs récits, dont certains m'ont laissé un peu sur ma faim, mais s'en dégage quand même une belle ambiance.
Ramón Ramírez
Le pongo cinco estrellas por "Una historia aburrida", de lo mejor que he leído en mucho tiempo.
  • The Road: Stories, Journalism, and Essays
  • The Cossacks and Other Stories
  • The Squabble
  • Ultramarine
  • Poor People and A Little Hero
  • The Artamonov Business
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov (Penguin Classics)
  • The Noise of Time: Selected Prose
  • Happy Moscow
  • First Love and Other Stories (World's Classics)
  • The Collected Stories
  • Stories and Prose Poems
  • Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
  • The Duel
  • Farewell to Matyora
  • Diaboliad and Other Stories
  • Red Cavalry and Other Stories
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov recalled, "it all seems quite glo
More about Anton Chekhov...
Selected Stories The Cherry Orchard The Seagull The Complete Short Novels Uncle Vanya