Start by marking “Buddha, Volume 6: Ananda” as Want to Read:
Buddha, Volume 6: Ananda

Buddha, Volume 6: Ananda (Buddha #6)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,654 ratings  ·  65 reviews
In the sixth volume of manga visionary Osamu Tezuka's Buddha, the devil Mara possesses the bandit Ananda, half-brother of Devadatta, in an effort to eliminate the Buddha. A ruthless killer who is impervious to physical harm, Ananda will retain the devil's favor only if he spurns his love interest.

When Ananda and his bandit buddy attack the Fire Shrine of the Brahmin brothe
Published November 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published July 11th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Buddha, Volume 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha, Volume 6

Helmut
Das Feuer in uns
Menschen hoffen, erwarten, bedenken, verlangen, wünschen, wollen, suchen, finden, benötigen, brauchen, erträumen, erbitten, nehmen, geben, vergleichen und wenn sie alles haben, geht es wieder von vorne los - das wahre Glück finden sie nicht. Warum nicht? Weil sie nicht erkennen, dass all das nur illusorische Verknüpfungen sind, die die Seele an den Staub des Materiellen binden. Erst, wenn man vergisst, sich und seine Umgebung, kann man die wahre Glückseligkeit erlangen.

Der Strei
Dusty
Buddha is aging -- slowly but surely. This volume closes with a preview of the upcoming volume, and in it he looks downright old. I suppose he'll probably die before the end of the series, but I have to say I'm not looking forward to it. I'm getting attached.
Sean Morrow
Another one that includes a bunch of great sermons, etc. Second favorite in the series so far. Discusses desire. Crazy scene at fire temple! That makes it sound like I'm talking about a Legend of Zelda game?
Fredrik
Aah, sepertinya buku ke-6 ini adalah yang paling kurang menarik buatku.
Butuh waktu cukup lama untuk menyelesaikannya, selain juga agak-agak malas untuk memulai menulis review-nya... -_-'

Tapiii!
Secara kualitas masih tetap spektakuler, dari sisi art, cerita, dan sisi komikalnya. Makanya tetap kuberi bintang penuh.
Aku mungkin kurang merasa "klik" aja sama kisah di buku ini.

Alkisah tentang Ananda yang sewaktu masih bayi diselamatkan dari kematian karena suatu perjanjian antara orang tuanya dengan ib
Roos
Sep 07, 2007 Roos rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends
Shelves: comiculun
Seri 6 ini...bercerita mengenai Ananda dan Ahimsa..2 orang yang dibimbing Budha untuk dilahirkan kembali..Ananda berhasil sedangkan Ahimsa menolak..dan memilih penderitaannya sendiri..
Di seri ini juga diceritakan juga mengenai bagaimana Budha mendapatkan murid-murid baru yang notabene lebih senior ( he..lebih tua ) dari dia.

Lumayan juga..perjalanan naik busway dari Blok M ke Kota..Bolak-balik....
Ivon
Sinopsis singkat: Buddha berkelana, menyebarkan ajarannya sambil menolong sesama manusia (well, memang itu inti ajarannya, jadi ia tidak sekedar 'talk', tapi 'do' juga ^^).

Kesan: Ada tokoh baru, Ananda. Suka sama kisah cintanya yang romantis XD.

Art: Babi-babi kecil mencurigakan tampak di mana-mana... o.o
Laura Zurowski
For the past year I've been slowly making my way through the eight volume Buddha series by Osamu Tezuka. I've written short reviews on each of the previous volumes, and just can't say enough good things about it: it's a series that adults can find meaning in, kids can easily understand, and parents with children could actually enjoy and discuss together.

Volume Six: Ananda is dark compared to the prior stories but the message it contains is also one of hope, redemption, and forgiveness. Ananda me
Shanna
This volume begins ten years before when Kosalan soldiers were killing the people of Kapilavastu. We see Ananda’s parents trying to escape the soldiers by fleeing to a little island which is inhabited by some kind of spirit that saves the family only for Ananda, which the father had pleaded any force to have if he were saved. After denying his words, he’s attacked by a plague of leaches and the mother and child escape the island. After his mother finds the
Dan Gorman
The beginning of Vol. 6 begins with an extended section introducing new characters - the serial killer Ahimsa; Ananda, the bandit with supernatural regenerative powers; the Kossapa brothers, monks who fake their powers with magic tricks; and Mara (Illusion), the evil demon who seeks to destroy Buddha. After 150 pages, I started to wonder when this (admittedly interesting) narrative would link back to the main plot of Buddha and his small band of followers. By this point, after 2000 pages of spel ...more
Randall
Sometime in the early 90s I picked up the Japanese series in bunkobon (small-format paperback; Goodreads has only one of those registered, so I'm listing the English versions instead). I recently found the set stashed away in some boxes, so I decided to read through it again.

Tezuka playfully inserts anachronisms from lots of periods, but especially modern times. And he uses comically ridiculous depictions throughout. It works for me. But if you're looking for straight-up historical fiction in m
cindy
After Tata and Megaila, the Giant (sorry, forget his name), the Crystal Prince, King Bimbisena and Devadatta, now Buddha encounter yet another unfortunate soul, Ananda -Devadatta's half brother. Although bearing high caste from birth, but his fate made him outlaw, bandit with no mercy. But with Buddha's teach, he slowly comprehend his meaning of existence.

I just realise how Osamu Sensei gathered all these people around Buddha's life and told stories about them. It shows no matter who you are, wh
David Ramirer
an dieser stelle möchte ich kurz erwähnen, dass die in manchen der zeichnungen wie selbstverständlich eingestreuten naturdarstellungen (felsen, wasser, rauch, gräser, etc.), die als "hintergründe" dienen, mich sehr vordergründig plätten und beeindrucken. ich habe nur selten so eine fulminante struktursicherheit bei einem zeichner gesehen - tezuka ist für mich diesbezüglich auf einer ebene mit dürer, moebius, van gogh und molosovsky.
David Schaafsma
Half or more of this book focuses on Ananda and his bandit friend and his mute girlfriend. Ananda is possessed by Mara (Illusion), a demon, who wants him to kill Buddha. Buddha is getting stronger, gaining disciples by in part performing miracles or just showing people how to live without desire as a solution to their problems. The first part, before Buddha shows up, goes on a bit too long, but when Buddha makes the scene things get interesting... Some reviewers find him a stereotypically boring ...more
Harini Padmanabhan
Scott
Having made it through six volumes, I know I'll be continuing on with Buddha's saga here, but I will say that Buddha as a character was a lot more appealing before he got enlightened at the end of volume 4. Ever since then he's sort of become a stereotypical enlightened being, a bit too otherworldly for y taste. Nonetheless, things definitely picked up in this volume over volume five. Ananda is the main character for the vast majority of the book, which seems fitting since they named it after hi ...more
Sachin Dev
And Tezuka ups the stakes in a grand flourish here. With the introduction of new and fascinating characters like Ananda, the orphan adopted and moulded by Mara the Devil as the ultimate weapon against Buddha, Ahimsa or Angulimaal the bandit, the Kassapa brothers who are unbelievers and would test Buddha by fire, all of which takes the plot to a dizzying new level. A stunning mesh of entangled fates that would reveal hidden conspiracies and secrets that hold humanity's fate dear. Buddha has matur ...more
Mer Lara
Desertos são ambientes secos e hostis. Na maioria deles, os dias são super quentes enquanto as noites chegam a ser bem frias
Those who dislike the more supernatural elements of the Buddha series should perhaps consider skipping this volume entirely, as it is largely the story of Ananda, a man chosen by a devil to find and kill Buddha, and so is given invincibility at a very young age. Magic abounds in this volume, making it feel more like a traditional graphic novel and less like a biography, religious in nature or not. On the bright side, this volume is less violent than recent volumes, and causes less despair at the ...more
Fzh Hns
Great and I'm read more about Buddha. Easy to understand the flow of the story. That's what manga is!
I love how Ananda repent himself and change into the most reliable companion of Buddha.
Ben
I first read Tezuka's Buddha two and a half years ago. It's eminently worth rereading. Built around a framework of accepted Buddha biography, much of the material is original. This complements, deepens and expands the Buddha story thematically and dramatically but never undermines or invalidates it. Buddha is epic in scale, clever, funny, touching, brutal and philosophical. I particularly love the Fire Sermon part in this volume.
Colin
Jan 29, 2012 Colin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who know the story thus far.
Shelves: four-star
Buddha begins to show signs of age as his power and the depth of his teachings only continues to increase, and as his followers (including many former enemies) multiply. This volume by and large focuses on Ananda, half-brother to Devadatta, who is granted the satanic protection of Buddha's enemy, the devil Mara, and who is tasked by her to destroy Buddha. Another compelling and beautifully drawn entry in Tezuka's Buddha series...
Mark
Book 6 continues Tezuka's retelling of the life of Buddha. While it is one of the thinnest in the series, it is no less full of the complex nature to which I've grown accustomed. Tezuka's handling of nature is his greatest strength and while there is plenty of breaking of the 4th wall and even a great cameo in here, there is a great respect to the source material. I am enjoying this series immensely.
Delicious Strawberry
You know you're getting famous when a demon wants to stop you - as is the case in Volume 6, when the demon Mara possesses Ananda, the half-brother of Devadatta. Naturally, this leads to quite an epic confrontation with Buddha, with a rather surprising ending. Well, maybe not too surprising, given how Buddha has dealt with other conflicts. Nonetheless, a wonderful volume.
Hriday
Excellent. The famed encounter with Angulimala is seen in this volume. Highly dramatized and made funny, as is Tezuka's style so far.

The fable of the Gourd and the Burning Men is so awesome. In that 5 pages, Tezuka has captured the essence of Buddha's teaching. That be the goal of every living being on earth.

an
dari yang menyangkal sampai percaya, dari yang berkeyakinan beda sampai jadi pengikut. buddha telah mendapat pencerahan sampai bisa mengumpulkan orang menjadi pengikut na melalui kotbah na. dan semua na dari rasa takut dan ketidakpuasan. kecemasan hati dan tidak tentram. semua na tenang bersama buddha.
Tessa
I liked the focus on Ananda throughout the volume but kept wondering if he was the Crystal Prince's half-brother. Either his mom was drawn just like the C.P.'s, or I was just supposed to remember plot points (not so good at that.)

Edit: I meant Devadatta, not the Crystal Prince. Sigh.
Andy
It's a shame that when people talk about Osamu Tezuka, they only think of Astro Boy. Every volume of this biography of Buddha is a comics masterpiece. The final two volumes of this series are coming out in paperback this summer and I can't wait.
Kathryn

Obviously as this is the sixth book in a series I am recommending the whole set when saying that this particular section is awesome. We finally get into some of Buddha's hardcore teaching. The little comic notes are funny. It's a pleasure to read.
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Two: The Day After
  • A Drifting Life
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 2: The Gateless Barrier (Lone Wolf and Cub, #2)
From Wikipedia:
Dr. Osamu Tezuka (手塚 治虫) was a Japanese manga artist, animator, producer and medical doctor, although he never practiced medicine. Born in Osaka Prefecture, he is best known as the creator of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is often credited as the "Father of Anime", and is often considered the Japanese equivalent to Walt Disney, who served as a major inspiration during his f
More about Osamu Tezuka...

Buddha (8 books)
  • Buddha, Vol. 1: Kapilavastu (Buddha #1)
  • Buddha, Vol. 2: The Four Encounters  (Buddha #2)
  • Buddha, Vol. 3: Devadatta
  • Buddha, Vol. 4: The Forest of Uruvela
  • Buddha, Vol. 5: Deer Park
  • Buddha, Vol. 7: Prince Ajatasattu
  • Buddha, Vol. 8: Jetavana
Buddha, Vol. 1: Kapilavastu (Buddha #1) Buddha, Vol. 2: The Four Encounters  (Buddha #2) Buddha, Vol. 3: Devadatta Buddha, Vol. 4: The Forest of Uruvela Buddha, Vol. 5: Deer Park

“Selagi peradaban berkembang, begitu pula nafsu. Api akan membesar terus dan menyebabkan berbagai malapetaka. Pada akhirnya seluruh dunia akan binasa.
Jika manusia ingin selamat, api harus dipadamkan. Itu berarti meredam nafsu dan hidup wajar.”
2 likes