The Dating Deal

The Dating Deal

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  36 reviews
“Come with me to the dance. Caitlin and I just broke up. I need a date, you need a date. Let’s just . . . date. This isn’t a noble gesture or anything. I don’t do stuff like that. It’s a deal. We’re making a deal.”

Seventeen-year old Megan Turner thought her hard-drive was cleared before she sold her computer in a local online auction. What she didn’t realize is that her jo...more
Published August 3rd 2005 by Melanie Marks

Kaitlyn Francis
Being saved by the hottest guy in school is one thing, making a deal with said hot guy is a whole different story. Megan thought because she was a Mormon no one really noticed her, she didn't go to any parties, didn't drink and she never dates anyone who isn't Mormon. Its until Trent the hottest guy in school asks her to help him out. With the deal, she able to go to the dance which is only like days away and since he was so nice she decides to consider his proposal. What she doesn't get is he s...more
Kerri
This book was just ok. It was a quick (short) fun read without much substance. The characters didn't read true and the story was way too sweet. I just can't see a cool guy like Trent baking cookies and dressing up in a straw hat and singing show tunes and dancing especially when he is the lead singer in a cool band. Also the fact that the lead character Megan is a Mormon is pretty much shoved down the reader's throat over and over again unnecessarily. Still I do think that younger teen girls wou...more
Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE YA REVIEWS AT READING, EATING AND DREAMING I WAS BLAIR WALDORF

If you are looking for a book that will make you smile, laugh out loud, and root for an adorably cute couple then The Dating Deal by Melanie Marks is the book for you.

This short story has a very original storyline. While reading this book I couldn’t help thinking, “Hey, that could happen!” (Most likely not, but it could!) Megan is a great character. She’s super sweet and extremely shy. She has a heart of gold....more
Melanie Marks
Oct 21, 2011 Melanie Marks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Just rating it 'cause I never did before. :)

This book was published in 2005. When it went out of print I was sad, but now (ta-da!) it's available on Amazon. Yay!

Blurb from the back of the book:

Come with me to the dance. Caitlin and I just broke up. I need a date, you need a date. Let�s just ... date. This isn�'t a noble gesture or anything. I don�'t do stuff like that. It'�s a deal. We'�re making a deal.�

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-»
REVIEW TO COME!!! IT'S 2:42 am right now...but that's what I get for reading amazing books at night!!! So, unfortunately the review will come tomorrow!! =)

UPDATE!!! =)

Melanie Marks....*sigh* I just can’t get over her books!!! It’s great book after great book after great book with her! The Dating Deal was no exception. This book was truly amazing! And truth be told...I really am NOT into the whole religious character but with this book it was....different. Yes you definitely have the religious a...more
Roseanne Wilkins
Normally, my tastes run to clean adult romances, but Melanie has convinced me in DATING DEAL that I can definitely enjoy a high school romance. I had originally purchased the book on my Kindle for my daughters. After recommending the book to someone else for a clean teenage romance, I thought I'd better take some time to read it. I'm glad I did. It's written in a teenager's voice, and it was a delight to read. I'm planning on picking up the rest of Melanie's books.
Sandy

This just wasn't for me. The premise is brimming with potential (why does the blurb spoil why Trent likes Megan?) but the execution doesn't deliver. The writing is choppy with no flow, making it difficult to immerse oneself in the story. I don't mind religion in the stories I read, but this was a bit heavy-handed.
Dawn Small
This is a sweet, romantic story with a cute, sweet couple and a super hot guy. It's clean, but fun. I really enjoyed Megan, and I adored Trent. I love Melanie Mark's writing style. She writes for teens. Adults will probably enjoy her writing too, but she writes for us and I love that!
reading by the beach
Wow!!
I just finished reading this book a few days ago and it was sooooooooooooooo sweet!!!! It was a bit more religious then most of her books but it still was quite sweet.
Melanie Marks is quite te breath taker from the first word.
A great read! You won't regret it!!
Jhoanna
fun read. It's sweet.
I love Trent and he seems cool and perfect as a boyfriend. But, the journal thing kind of scared me.
The whole story was so good and sweet. I liked it a lot.

Read it. You'll love it.
Patricia
This was a quick read. I do not know whether this was intended to be adult or young adult fiction. I think it was definitely young adult fiction. In fact, I felt like it is probably on the younger end of young adult--I can see junior high students liking this. I would say that came primarily from Megan's "voice." I know she was at least 16 because the story said so. I assumed she must be a junior (I missed that detail) and I don't know how old Trent was. Trent seemed old enough to be a junior or...more
Melanie Marks
Oct 21, 2011 Melanie Marks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Just rating it 'cause I never did before. :)

Blurb from the back of the book:

Zoe and the Edge
To me it was a magical moment full of unsaid feelings of deep affection. But maybe for him it was just an awkward pause in the conversation.

I'm not into preachy books. At all. And this story, sure, is filled with Morman concepts and beliefs but for some reason it worked. I guess because I see it more as an abstract plot strategy. It raises an interesting point of conflict and tension. It's like the author took all these random misfit puzzle pieces and stuck them together to create a surprisingl...more
Sara ♥
December 23-24, 2011

SUPER CUTE! I can TOTALLY relate to the main character, as I pretty much WAS her in high school! Plus, I now have a signed copy! Thanks Melanie!! ;)

October 13-14, 2010

Okay, so I read this ADORABLE little LDS young-adult fiction book back in like 2006 or something, and I finally bought a copy of it! It's a short little book (only 133 pages), so I read it tonight, and it's even more cute than I remembered! :)

I gotta say though, that I don't read much LDS fiction (it's not terr...more
Mari
Kayla Whitehead
Amazing!

I absolutely love love love love this book! it has you so antsy to have them together!!!!!!! no matter who you are you will LOVE this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
A really, really fast and cute read. Oh, I've come across such plots before - Attachments, Saving June, etc - but the way this books unfolds, ie the author makes readers are aware that the boy reads the girls private writings in the blurb beforehand instead of allowing it to become a twist/surprise/climax in the story, kinda works really well. For me, I gushed and laughed at the leading lady, Megan and her innocence. Adorable really.
Now i feel like typing out my own journal. (hehehe) But then wh...more
Mackenzie
I really liked the two main charcters, Trent and Megan. I'm not very religious so it was difficult for me to relate to the whole not willing to date outside of her religion thing. However, I admired her convictions and I was really glad that his interest in her church wasn't just because he liked her. That would have bugged me on principal. That said, this book is really similar to other Melanie Marks books. Common themes within her books include bad boys turned good, good church girls who don't...more
Carie
Okay, this one is a guilty pleasure for me. I really loved it! It brought to mind some past experiences for me that closely paralleled some of the things that happened to Megan. I loved the characters, particularly Trent and Megan, and enjoyed their cute interactions and developing romance. I’d probably give the story a 4.5, if I could, just because I thought the synopsis shouldn’t have given away the computer twist and I didn’t care for the very end of the story. I thought part of the end was a...more
XxCrucio
this was definitely a cute and quick read!! I loved the characters and the plot!

definitely recommend!
PhobicPrerogative
It was a quick read, but I wish the synopsis of the story hadn't been pushed so far back to the end of the story. The book's description felt like a spoiler alert when you actually get into the story.
I don't know whether the first person narration made it difficult for the author to reveal Trent's intentions and knowledge of Megan, but even so, it could have been a he said-she said narration, or completely told in third person. Or perhaps she shouldn't have mentioned Trent+the computer in the sy...more
Tasha
I literally couldn't put this book down! Definitely worth the read
Iva
The Dating Deal was a cute read. Sort of reminded me of movie romances set in high school. And a girl could miss those sappy things. And this one was even better. At the half of the book I planed to put this on my favorite shelf. It was that good! - Megan is a great character and I didn't mind all the religious parts. And Trent is - wow, purrraahhh :) good looking, musician, cool and with a cute side.
But it's not a favorite because the ending was a little rushed and we didn't get even one kiss :...more
Angie
An unexpected sweet romance between two completly different people. good book, some mormon religon in it but the romance over shadowed it which is good im not one for prechy religous books but still a wonderful read i enjoyed it....
Miriam
I liked the voice of the narrator; it seemed genuine. I thought the end was genuinely sweet. This story is definitely going to be more accessible to an LDS reader, but I didn't feel like the religious part was overdone.
Maitreyee
It's a good read over all but a little predictable. A little more description would have been good. Maybe the link between whatchacallit scenes should have been a little stronger. I don't regret reading it. Plot's pretty okay.
Noura
I would have enjoyed it more If I didn't know how "Trent " knew all this stuff about "Megan" from the bio. The bio must change it's spoiling the novel. Just saying.
Ruhul Aine
I finished reading this book for about 5 hours. It was funny and interesting story about Trent and Megan. A feel-good read. It made me reminisce my high school years..
Reem
no less than perfect , i really loved loved the solid real events and romance , i most definately can relate to Melanie's amazing plots and books
Abigail
love this hard to put down and i know the cover is rubish but dont judge a book by the cover right? but great 2 1/2 hour read 4hours at the most
  • Me & Timothy Cooper
  • The Kissing Deadline
  • Saving Face
  • Chasing June (June, #2)
  • The Makeover of James Orville Wickenbee
  • Echoes
  • Persuaded (The Jane Austen Diaries, #3)
  • Blue Eyes and Other Teenage Hazards
  • Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog
  • Hung Up
  • Relatively Honest
  • Shot Through the Heart
  • Winning Mr. Wrong
  • Montana Sunset
  • Torched
  • The Broken Road (Alpine, #3)
  • Famous Last Words
Books by Melanie Marks:

NEWEST: Her Kiss (Griffin)--It's Griffin's version of His Kiss.

FALL FOR ME series:
Fall For Me (#1)
Fall Forever (#2)
Finn's Fall (#3)
Louder Than Words--(a standalone novel part of the series)

HIS KISS Series:
His Kiss (#1)
High School Boys (#2)
HER Kiss (Griffin)--Griffin's version of His Kiss
Louder Than Words--(a standalone novel about Griffin's best friend, Mason, and his secret...more
More about Melanie Marks...
His Kiss Fall For Me (Fall For Me, #1) Kissing When Kyle Came Back Craving