Start by marking “Boston Jane: Wilderness Days” as Want to Read:
Boston Jane: Wilderness Days

Boston Jane: Wilderness Days (Boston Jane #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,057 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Far from her native Philadelphia, Miss Jane Peck continues to prove that she is more than an etiquette-schooled graduate of Miss Hepplewhite's Young Ladies Academy as she braves the untamed wilderness of Washington Territory in the mid 1850s.
Published May 25th 2010 by Yearling (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Boston Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boston Jane

Lisa
I liked this better than the first. It could also be called "Jane Grows Up" or "Jane Gets Over Herself" b/c that's what happens. The time frame is relatively short, but she grows a lot. Of course, her father died and she spends the whole beginning of the book wallowing in self pity. Then she gets eaten by the jealousy monster with a new woman in the settlement. Her 'woe is me, and poor little me and nobody loves me' attitude is finally broken in the wilderness and she truly becomes the Jane I ho...more
Sometimes sequels can feel weak, but I liked this addition to Boston Jane as much as the first book. The characters continue to grow (although they are not overly complex---keep the target audience in mind), they deal with real and difficult issues like relationships between local native tribes and settlers, and you also get a sense of the history of the area as a backdrop for the story. My only complaint is that, having read the first book, there was a bit too much recapping of story lines. I s...more
Sienna
I would give it a 4.5 if that were possible. Such a fun adventure story and the I loved the romance! It's truly interesting to see how Jane copes with the prevalent difficulties of living in the wilderness, including a difficult journey to save a man who has a murderer on his trail! Exciting! (view spoiler)...more
Jamie
So... I take issue with people in books not seeing things that are obvious to me. But maybe I'm being unreasonable. So let's look at this in bullet-point fashion.

-I understood from early in book 1 that Jane's father was dying. But maybe Jane was too wrapped up in herself to see the glaringly obvious clues that I saw.
-Also, there wasn't a super convenient time in book 1 to introduce that information to Jane, something that... kind of bothers me.
-But it WAS a plot point in book 2 (kind of a big on...more
Heather
Soooooo, I read it. I liked it. Maybe 3.5 stars. But there were things in it that left me a little flat. Her relationship with Jehu didn't feel "authentic" to me -- it was too hot and cold. Hard to explain. I know my daughter and teenage niece just ADORED this book, and I can see why. But it just didn't work as well for me. Maybe my tastes are growing up. Sad.
Still, a very cute and fun story: good adventure, fun plot, and interesting character development. Not a bad read. And yes, I am currently...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
Teton County Library Call Number: J Holm J
No rating

This book takes place in the late 1800's in Philadelphia.
Jane does not act like a lady. She spits with the boys, eats Mrs. Parker's cherry pies, and ends up with cherries all over herself. When William arrives to live with Jane and her father, he encourages her to attend a school that will teach her better manners-to mold her into a quiet lady who is proper. When William sets sail from Philadelphia to explort eh new frontier, all the way to the...more
Libby Ames
Sara Weber
I'm reading this series after my 11 year old daughter read them and recommended them to me. I didn't love the second book as much as the first, but still really liked it (I gave it 4 stars). And I'm now on to read book #3.
Mary
Another fun, quick read in the Boston Jane series. It is so refreshing to find well-written, entertaining YA books with strong female characters and a squeaky clean story.
Renae
Since I read this entire series in two days, I'm just going to write my overall review on the series on the third book's review. Love Jennifer's writing!
Rachel M.
The first book in this series is by far the best! Although there are some unbelieveable elements in the first book, much more implausible things occur in the second book, such as the whole deal with the "ghost-murderer." Also, I did not enjoy the second book as much because Jane acts like an immature brat. She storms off when she doesn't get her way or is misunderstood, and she automatically assumes that people are out to get her. She's a very belligerant person. I would definitely recommend thi...more
Melissa
I would probably give the whole series more like a 2.5 stars, I liked the idea of the story , but there wasn't very good dialogue between the main characters and she didn't finish ideas or thoughts in the story so it made you just wonder what happened next , I don't like that. I just don't think it was written very well, the author had to remind us of little things that happened in the first book literally every few pages like we were retarded and couldn't remember what we had just read 5 pages...more
Mckenzie
it was ok, it of course not as the first book, but ok. all i got to say is you hate the enemy as much as jane does.
Julie
Jul 25, 2009 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
Recommended to Julie by: I read book 1
This series is entertaining, and I suppose I learned a bit from it too. There are a few people and events grounded in historical fact, such as the Stevens negotiations where the governor tried to get the area's Indian population to move onto a reservation (and failed miserably).

Jane herself is a real pip. She acts like such an idiot at times... but I keep having to remind myself that she is only 16. Some of it is so cringeworthy - I'm sure we have all done things equally stupid in our time. Even...more
Linda
I did not like the character as much in the second book, but still enjoyed the adventure of the story as it continued from book one. I recommend having all three books(Boston Jane: Wilderness Days and Boston Jane: The Claim) at the same time so you can read them all as one book. For me the three need to be read as one so you get the feel you read a good story from beginning to an ending. You will especially want to have book 3 after reading book 2 because of the ending of book 2 will leave you h...more
Krissy Stoeger
excellent - I would read again and again
Bonnie Gayle
Aasha
Feb 09, 2008 Aasha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one
I really liked this book, ive read it like three times now, and im reading it again. right now. its part of a trilogy, of a great adventrure of a little girl who grows up unkept and unproper, but one day goes to a school to become proper. So this girl finds herslef in the wilderness in oregon, where she is the only lady besides the indians, all three books are about the trials of living in the wilderness with no husband. its a love story, adventure, and a great easy book to read.
Ellen
When I read the first book, I had no idea it was a trilogy. I didn't like the ending but thought it would do. Then one day I found this book and the third one.
To my suprise I really enjoyed this one. There isn't as much back story ( because the author assumes the reader has read the first book) and the whole plot is amazing.
I was especially glad that my least favorite person in this book series was put in his place by Jane of all people.
Enjoy and on to the next book
Madi Rose
I really like this series. A bit younger, but I really enjoyed it which is shocking since it's a historical fiction, plus a romance.
More adventures followed Jane in this one.

Jane is still trying to be a lady as she lives in the Oregon wilderness. She is growing up and learning to become her own person, but still has some vulnerable moments.

I like that Jehu and Handsome Jim are in this one. They are both great characters, and of course Jehu is a good love interest.

Now I'm off to the library to get #3!
Mary Ann
I enjoyed this second book in the trilogy even more than the first. I would definitely recommend this series for middle school girls and up. Much fun and adventure. I read it all outside in the "wilderness" while hubby was fishing. It was a great environment in which to read it. I didn't think I'd get "hooked" on this series, but off I go to get book three :-)
Josie
This was my least favorite of the three, but I still couldn't put it down. I disliked how much review the author gave at the beginning but of course understand this is important to new readers to the series. I enjoyed watching the town flourish and become established, especially since it is a time and place in history I know little about.
Kate
I LOVED the first book so much and then this book, I felt that Jane hadn't really made a full change. She complained a lot and basically acted like I probably would, which was frustrating because I wanted to be inspired by someone who could rise above it. Even so, Holm is a fabulous author and I enjoyed the story immensely.
Janene
This is the second time I have read 2 of a trilogy by accident but both times felt like I still enjoyed the stories and I don't feel like I missed out on what the other of the 3 told. I read the 2nd and 3rd book to this series. I enjoyed both of them. Jane is a silly girl that turns into a strong and brave woman.
Angie
Well ... these books remind me of Hallmark movies. Totally cheesy. Some decent lines but also (and perhaps in the majority) some really poorly executed ones as well. And yet you can't stop wondering what is going to happen. So you keep watching/reading.

The author has come a long way since these books!
May 20, 2012 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fifth and up
Shelves: 2012
After loving the first book in the series, I quickly checked out the second and third. I didn't like this one as well as the first mainly because it is more of the same. A sinister, supernatural plot line introduced in this book didn't work as well for me, but I still stayed up too late reading it!
Kstewart5362
Another satisfying read. Jane is an interesting, flawed character, which makes her all the more appealing. She's complicated and fiesty, and torn about what direction she wants her life to take. That, coupled with the survival aspect and the fact she's become and accomplished pie-maker, what could be better?
Michelle
Jan 15, 2010 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: U13
Shelves: u13, owned
Great story, great sequel, though it did fall short of my expectations with the strong beginning.
However, it was still good, and I felt that it added to the beginning book nicely.

I would say more, but it has been too long since I last read it...guess I might have to revisit the old bookshelf!
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • Maude March on the Run!
  • Time Enough for Drums
  • Annie, Between the States
  • Cannons at Dawn: The Second Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1779 (Dear America)
  • Behind the Masks: The Diary of Angeline Reddy, Bodie, California, 1880 (Dear America)
  • Hattie Ever After (Hattie, #2)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • Water Street
  • The Distant Beacon (Song of Acadia, #4)
  • Survival in the Storm: The Dust Bowl Diary of Grace Edwards (Dear America)
  • The Devil's Paintbox
  • Assassin (Lady Grace Mysteries, #1)
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • My Louisiana Sky
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
  • West to a Land of Plenty: The Diary of Teresa Angelino Viscardi
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra...more
More about Jennifer L. Holm...
Turtle in Paradise Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1) Penny from Heaven Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1) Super Amoeba (Squish, #1)