Start by marking “Boston Jane: Wilderness Days” as Want to Read:
Boston Jane: Wilderness Days

Boston Jane: Wilderness Days (Boston Jane #2)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,432 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Far from her native Philadelphia, Miss Jane Peck continues to prove that she is more than an etiquette-schooled graduate of Miss Hepplewhite's Young Ladies Academy as she braves the untamed wilderness of Washington Territory in the mid 1850s.
Published May 25th 2010 by Yearling (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Boston Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boston Jane

Lisa
May 04, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the first. It could also be called "Jane Grows Up" or "Jane Gets Over Herself" b/c that's what happens. The time frame is relatively short, but she grows a lot. Of course, her father died and she spends the whole beginning of the book wallowing in self pity. Then she gets eaten by the jealousy monster with a new woman in the settlement. Her 'woe is me, and poor little me and nobody loves me' attitude is finally broken in the wilderness and she truly becomes the Jane I ho ...more
Jenny
Aug 30, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this series at the request of my 13 year old. This second book is a fun and innocent story with a stubborn, yet likable heroine. 3.5 stars.
Jamie
So... I take issue with people in books not seeing things that are obvious to me. But maybe I'm being unreasonable. So let's look at this in bullet-point fashion.

-I understood from early in book 1 that Jane's father was dying. But maybe Jane was too wrapped up in herself to see the glaringly obvious clues that I saw.
-Also, there wasn't a super convenient time in book 1 to introduce that information to Jane, something that... kind of bothers me.
-But it WAS a plot point in book 2 (kind of a big on
Sienna
Jun 18, 2014 Sienna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give it a 4.5 if that were possible. Such a fun adventure story and the I loved the romance! It's truly interesting to see how Jane copes with the prevalent difficulties of living in the wilderness, including a difficult journey to save a man who has a murderer on his trail! Exciting! (view spoiler) ...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
Teton County Library Call Number: J Holm J
No rating

This book takes place in the late 1800's in Philadelphia.
Jane does not act like a lady. She spits with the boys, eats Mrs. Parker's cherry pies, and ends up with cherries all over herself. When William arrives to live with Jane and her father, he encourages her to attend a school that will teach her better manners-to mold her into a quiet lady who is proper. When William sets sail from Philadelphia to explort eh new frontier, all the way to the
Libby Ames
Julie
Jul 25, 2009 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
Recommended to Julie by: I read book 1
This series is entertaining, and I suppose I learned a bit from it too. There are a few people and events grounded in historical fact, such as the Stevens negotiations where the governor tried to get the area's Indian population to move onto a reservation (and failed miserably).

Jane herself is a real pip. She acts like such an idiot at times... but I keep having to remind myself that she is only 16. Some of it is so cringeworthy - I'm sure we have all done things equally stupid in our time. Even
Melissa
Oct 03, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would probably give the whole series more like a 2.5 stars, I liked the idea of the story , but there wasn't very good dialogue between the main characters and she didn't finish ideas or thoughts in the story so it made you just wonder what happened next , I don't like that. I just don't think it was written very well, the author had to remind us of little things that happened in the first book literally every few pages like we were retarded and couldn't remember what we had just read 5 pages ...more
Grace
I absolutely love this series! I finished Boston Jane #1 at around 12:00 A.M (I was so intrigued) and then went out to buy Boston Jane #2 because I was so excited! I was not disappointed. I finished this book in 2 days. This book is awesome!!!
Okay, now, I'm editing this review, two years later. I still totally love this book, even though I've outgrown the age group. Vibrant, fun historical fiction. You love Jane because she has SO many faults--she's so real! I love Keer-ukso, and I kind of have
Rachel M.
Jul 27, 2011 Rachel M. rated it liked it
The first book in this series is by far the best! Although there are some unbelieveable elements in the first book, much more implausible things occur in the second book, such as the whole deal with the "ghost-murderer." Also, I did not enjoy the second book as much because Jane acts like an immature brat. She storms off when she doesn't get her way or is misunderstood, and she automatically assumes that people are out to get her. She's a very belligerant person. I would definitely recommend thi ...more
Marklessgirl
Nov 24, 2015 Marklessgirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was sad. But not that sad there where happy times and sad and jealous times and it was a lot like real life I think. Jane was really learning about herself and everyone.
I really want the next and last book (sadly)
This book is crazy! Some of the things I saw coming but some I did not and that was really fun! You get more of all the characters from the first book (well the ones that do not die in book one) and there are a few new ones! That I found really interesting!

Not really a spoile
Maggie
Nov 20, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first in the trilogy was an amazing novel, and the second one didn't disappoint me. I really like a lot of the characters, but unfortunately, the one with the most annoying flaw is the main character, Miss Jane Peck. She tends to overreact and make things worse (in all three books, even when she thinks she's learned her lesson at the end of Wilderness Days!), and I think the author could've gone a little easier on Jane's tendency to lash out at people.

Overall, the pace of writing and the for
Heather
Soooooo, I read it. I liked it. Maybe 3.5 stars. But there were things in it that left me a little flat. Her relationship with Jehu didn't feel "authentic" to me -- it was too hot and cold. Hard to explain. I know my daughter and teenage niece just ADORED this book, and I can see why. But it just didn't work as well for me. Maybe my tastes are growing up. Sad.
Still, a very cute and fun story: good adventure, fun plot, and interesting character development. Not a bad read. And yes, I am currently
Linda
Nov 25, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like the character as much in the second book, but still enjoyed the adventure of the story as it continued from book one. I recommend having all three books(Boston Jane: Wilderness Days and Boston Jane: The Claim) at the same time so you can read them all as one book. For me the three need to be read as one so you get the feel you read a good story from beginning to an ending. You will especially want to have book 3 after reading book 2 because of the ending of book 2 will leave you h ...more
Renae
This was always my favorite of the trilogy. Jane deals with her decision to stay in Washington Territory and the news of her father's loss, and also with feelings of under appreciation by the frontiersmen of the settlement. There's a misunderstanding with Jehu, the handsome sailor, and also a mysterious stranger who threatens Jane's good friend and nemesis, Mr. Russell. Pretty short timespan, but I liked seeing Jane grow over the course of the novel. She learns more about what makes a person and ...more
Bonnie
Isidora Subotic
Apr 14, 2016 Isidora Subotic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Jane Peck is sixteen and living in Shoalwater Bay. Her eyes are set on Jehu, and vise versa. Most of this book is about the dangers of Mr. Black. Mr. Black used to trap beavers for fun with Mr. Russell and a few other men. However, when Mr. Black was mauled by a bear, everyone thought he was dead and left him under some leaves without supplies. This was MANY years ago and Mr. Black is alive. Worse, he is out for revenge! All the men are dead except for Mr. Russell so Jane, Jehu, and Keer-ukso ha ...more
Ellen
When I read the first book, I had no idea it was a trilogy. I didn't like the ending but thought it would do. Then one day I found this book and the third one.
To my suprise I really enjoyed this one. There isn't as much back story ( because the author assumes the reader has read the first book) and the whole plot is amazing.
I was especially glad that my least favorite person in this book series was put in his place by Jane of all people.
Enjoy and on to the next book
Aasha
Jan 26, 2008 Aasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one
I really liked this book, ive read it like three times now, and im reading it again. right now. its part of a trilogy, of a great adventrure of a little girl who grows up unkept and unproper, but one day goes to a school to become proper. So this girl finds herslef in the wilderness in oregon, where she is the only lady besides the indians, all three books are about the trials of living in the wilderness with no husband. its a love story, adventure, and a great easy book to read.
Kstewart5362
Jul 19, 2010 Kstewart5362 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another satisfying read. Jane is an interesting, flawed character, which makes her all the more appealing. She's complicated and fiesty, and torn about what direction she wants her life to take. That, coupled with the survival aspect and the fact she's become and accomplished pie-maker, what could be better?
Angie
Nov 01, 2011 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well ... these books remind me of Hallmark movies. Totally cheesy. Some decent lines but also (and perhaps in the majority) some really poorly executed ones as well. And yet you can't stop wondering what is going to happen. So you keep watching/reading.

The author has come a long way since these books!
Kristine Hansen
Wow, Boston Jane, you are a suspicious critter, aren't you? The true joy in these books is watching how Jane is growing up. At times she's so selfish and so obsessed with what's right in front of her nose that I want to shake her. But she comes through, and has so much courage that you can't help but cheer as you go careening through her story. Only one Jane book left? Say it ain't so!
Kate
Aug 13, 2010 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I LOVED the first book so much and then this book, I felt that Jane hadn't really made a full change. She complained a lot and basically acted like I probably would, which was frustrating because I wanted to be inspired by someone who could rise above it. Even so, Holm is a fabulous author and I enjoyed the story immensely.
Jul 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
More adventures followed Jane in this one.

Jane is still trying to be a lady as she lives in the Oregon wilderness. She is growing up and learning to become her own person, but still has some vulnerable moments.

I like that Jehu and Handsome Jim are in this one. They are both great characters, and of course Jehu is a good love interest.

Now I'm off to the library to get #3!
May 20, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fifth and up
Shelves: 2012
After loving the first book in the series, I quickly checked out the second and third. I didn't like this one as well as the first mainly because it is more of the same. A sinister, supernatural plot line introduced in this book didn't work as well for me, but I still stayed up too late reading it!
Michelle
Oct 21, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: U13
Shelves: u13, owned
Great story, great sequel, though it did fall short of my expectations with the strong beginning.
However, it was still good, and I felt that it added to the beginning book nicely.

I would say more, but it has been too long since I last read it...guess I might have to revisit the old bookshelf!
Mary Ann
Aug 06, 2011 Mary Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this second book in the trilogy even more than the first. I would definitely recommend this series for middle school girls and up. Much fun and adventure. I read it all outside in the "wilderness" while hubby was fishing. It was a great environment in which to read it. I didn't think I'd get "hooked" on this series, but off I go to get book three :-)
Josie
May 19, 2009 Josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This was my least favorite of the three, but I still couldn't put it down. I disliked how much review the author gave at the beginning but of course understand this is important to new readers to the series. I enjoyed watching the town flourish and become established, especially since it is a time and place in history I know little about.
Janene
Jun 28, 2012 Janene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I have read 2 of a trilogy by accident but both times felt like I still enjoyed the stories and I don't feel like I missed out on what the other of the 3 told. I read the 2nd and 3rd book to this series. I enjoyed both of them. Jane is a silly girl that turns into a strong and brave woman.
  • Maude March on the Run! (Maude March Misadventures #2)
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • Annie, Between the States
  • A Journey of Faith (Prairie River, #1)
  • Time Enough for Drums
  • The Education of Patience Goodspeed (Patience Goodspeed, #2)
  • Maggie's Door (Nory Ryan #2)
  • Behind the Masks: The Diary of Angeline Reddy, Bodie, California, 1880 (Dear America)
  • Down the Yukon
  • Like the Willow Tree: The Diary of Lydia Amelia Pierce, Portland, Maine, 1918
  • The Big Burn
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra
More about Jennifer L. Holm...

Boston Jane (3 books)
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • The Claim (Boston Jane, #3)