Start by marking “The Unexpected Adventure: Taking Everyday Risks to Talk with People about Jesus” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Adventure: Taking Everyday Risks to Talk with People about Jesus

The Unexpected Adventure: Taking Everyday Risks to Talk with People about Jesus

Are you missing one of the most exhilarating and rewarding dimensions of the Christian life? Bestselling authors Lee Strobel and Mark Mittelberg use compelling and humorous stories from their own lives in a devotional-style book that paints an irresistible picture of what personal evangelism can be---the fulfilling adventure of a lifetime!
Published May 5th 2009 by Zondervan (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Adventure

Oct 18, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was an unexpected adventure. I kind of bought it on a whim, and hoped it would be okay. But it was much more than 'okay'. It was interesting, inspiring, uplifting, entertaining, encouraging, and practical. Every chapter tells a story of witnessing for Christ in some way, followed by an explanation of the principle used and encouragement for trying it out with the people we interact with. I appreciated the fact that although Mark and Lee tell lots of 'success' stories with evang ...more
Patrick S.
Jul 20, 2015 Patrick S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I really want to start out this review by saying "Don't read this book!" because it is so well done that it accomplishes what it was set out to do - inspire Christians to share their faith with others. This is a collection of about 40 different stories each with a different real scenario that Strobel and Mittelberg had. Some are entertaining, some are emotional, some are thought provoking, and some are just downright good. If you need a kick in the pants to fulfill the command Jesus gave of the ...more
Jill Holler
Oct 13, 2015 Jill Holler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book about the power of sharing one's faith. The authors' give their own personal stories about the effects of sharing Jesus with others, and they inspire us to do the same. The Christian life is truly an adventure when we let our purposes lie in the hands of God. Get ready to be inspired to share your faith and join this adventure!
Feb 01, 2016 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories of the results of sharing your faith. It's good because it adds some simple steps for the reader.
Angela Clark-koistinen
I loved all the stories in this book , it makes apologetics less intimidating to discuss
Apr 08, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm only halfway through with this book, but it one of the best, and practical, spiritual books I've ever read. Several true encounters of sharing faith from both authors. They can be used as daily devotions. Recommend.
Brent Soderstrum
Jan 31, 2011 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book as a daily devotional. The authors set out their stories on how they spoke to people about their faith and the joy they recieved in doing so. Speaking about your faith to people whose reactions are unkown is a difficult thing to do. Looking at it from the eternal prespective really shows you that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Still not easy.
Feb 29, 2012 Quinton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit, it made me feel a bit guilty for not sharing my faith as much as I should.
The book was quite good. Full of stories of people hearing about Christ.
It also discusses a debate they set up between a high profile Atheist and a Christian ( I'm hoping to watch the debate at some point.
Anyway, I would recommend the book.
Jackie Wolfred
I bought this book as part of a class I was taking at church. It has interesting stories and was an easy read. Co-authored by a former atheist-turned Christian. It seemed very familiar from the get-go, which is no surprise really. I have read many books by Lee Strobel, and years ago partook in a class "How to Become a Contagious Christian", also written by Strobel.
Daryl Watts
Unlike other evangelism books, Strobel and Mittelberg present 42 stories of evangelism encounters they have had. The book has none of the "how to" or the "you must" of most other books. I found the stories to be entertaining and encouraging. They actually made me WANT to go out and share my faith more. The book is intended to be read one story a day for 42 days.
Jul 02, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Not so much a "how to" book for personal evangelism as a collection of motivating stories with scripture to back up each principle. Really readable, and even though it's not a "how to" there are enough helpful hints embedded in the stories that I feel better equipped to share Jesus...and purposefully look for opportunities to do so!
Mar 20, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book 3.5 stars, but I decided to go ahead and round up. I really appreciated the format and style of the book. It may be 42 separate stories but there is an organization to it and the stories aren't just thrown together in any order. I recommend this book to any Christian hesitant to share their faith.
Jan 15, 2010 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
42 short chapters, able to be read in 15 minutes or so. Each chapter opens with a story from the experiences of one of the co-authors. These stores were the highlight. Not a one was flat.

Books on personal evangelism do not tend to sell well. They take a fresh approach here and it works.
Clint Heitz
This book is a phenomenal read for Christians at all points of their faith. Strobel and Mittelberg have such a fantastic way of sharing and encouraging that you find your self immediately engrossed in the message. I will definitely be recommending this text to others.
Tuuli Platner
Dec 16, 2010 Tuuli Platner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
It was very simply and well written - easy to read in a couple sittings. The stories Strobel and Mittelberg use to punctuate each chapter are excellent examples, not one is wasted in atrying to put across the point of each chapter.
Dec 28, 2010 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is humbling and inspiring for all of us who call ourselves Christian! It is time to obey the Great Commission and share our faith....any place....any time.....EVERY day!!
Tina Huett
Nov 09, 2012 Tina Huett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

42 daily readings on evangelistic adventures that will fire you up to be all you can be to serve the gospel to a seeking world.
Ed Taylor
Apr 10, 2013 Ed Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book to challenge us on living out our daily Christian lives.
Nov 22, 2010 Chrissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-growth
Great book full of everyday not scary ways to talk to people about Jesus.
Book Club book
Sep 02, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading about all the adventures that Lee Strobel and Mark Mittelberg had talking to a variety of people. It's awesome to see God's word spreading and affecting people in such powerful ways. The book definitely makes you want to go out and start talking about Jesus! It also lends itself well to suggesting other books to read from both of these authors. I have been personally inspired by this book and I hope the motivation that it has given me will last.
Hosanna marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Karri Harris
Karri Harris rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Rlouiseg rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Diane added it
Sep 28, 2016
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Maria is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
  • Risky Gospel: Abandon Fear and Build Something Awesome
  • Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry and Mary: How to Reach Friends and Family Who Avoid God and the Church
  • Evangelical Ethics: Issues Facing the Church Today
  • Married to Distraction: Restoring Intimacy and Strengthening Your Marriage in an Age of Interruption
  • Good News for Anxious Christians: Ten Practical Things You Don't Have to Do
  • Be the Mom
  • Grounded in the Gospel: Building Believers the Old-Fashioned Way
  • Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise
  • True Story: A Christianity Worth Believing in
  • The Best Kept Secret of Christian Mission: Promoting the Gospel with More Than Our Lips
  • A Woman's Secret to a Balanced Life: Finding God's Refreshing Priorities for You
  • Praying the Scriptures for Your Children: Discover How to Pray God's Will for Their Lives
  • Produced by Faith: Enjoy Real Success without Losing Your True Self
  • Atheism Remix: A Christian Confronts the New Atheists
Lee Patrick Strobel (born January 25, 1952) is an American Christian author, journalist, apologist and pastor. He has written several books, including four which received ECPA Christian Book Awards (1994, 1999, 2001, 2005) and a series which addresses challenges to a Biblically inerrant view of Christianity. Strobel also hosted a television program called Faith Under Fire on PAX TV, and runs a vid ...more
More about Lee Strobel...