Start by marking “Unrelated Individuals Forming a Group Waiting to Cross” as Want to Read:
Unrelated Individuals Forming a Group Waiting to Cross

Unrelated Individuals Forming a Group Waiting to Cross (National Poetry Series #117)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Mark Yakich is an original... In the unabashedly unwieldy title and in each poem, there are no borders drawn between the commonplace and the metaphysical. There are journeys, crossings, and departures--all evocative of the loneliness, alienation, and desire for identity with another (person or place), which, formalized, makes this work recognizable as art of a very high or ...more
Published May 25th 2004 by Penguin Books

Be the first to ask a question about Unrelated Individuals Forming a Group Waiting to Cross

Jessica
This book exists when I'm not reading it, even when I'm not thinking about it. It has more energy than I do and the right ratio of cleverness to emotion. Some of my favorite poems are: "Dreams Hardly Ever Seem to Change Things for the Better," "Blind Girl's Litany," "Stone Fruit," "Terms of Attraction (Greek Legend for Americans)," "Missteps in the Ballroom," "Nocturne," and "Against Elegy."

Consider these lines: ". . . What isn't / more beautiful / with a bit of blood on it?" and "a dime severe
l
Jun 10, 2008 l rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to l by: Daniel, Grolier Poetry Shop
Shelves: poetry
Yakich's debut collection, winner of the 2003 National Poetry Series competition, occasionally blushes with excessive preciousness. But by and large, Yakich offers a few gems, and its stylistic breadth is almost shamelessly virtuosic... as well as a good entry for people just beginning to fall in love with poetry.

I'd told Daniel, the Grolier Poetry Bookshop's keeper, some of the writers I'd been reading, and I'd asked for recommendations. I'd sampled a few of Yakich's poems, but this one's simpl
ems
Some self-consciously poemy-poems, but worth it for the others.
Sarah Smith
There's some undeniable moxy here, which is alarming, because I dislike the word "moxy" and yet have no accurate replacement to describe this book. Maybe it's a surfeit of moxy that holds me back from totally liking this, but I wish it were a little more rude. It's full of concept poems--you know, where the conceit of the poem constitutes 75% or more of the poem's intrigue. But the problem with concept poems is that it's pretty difficult to write something that lives up to the possibility genera ...more
Brent Legault
Oct 12, 2007 Brent Legault rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thinkers, thingers
I know this guy so it hardly seems just for me to wax fantastic about his work. That said, these poems are the kind of poems that get stuck in the ear, like the pond water you can't shake out after a summer swim. They are poems to be read and reread. And if it isn't too otherwordly for me to admit, not only is the poet my friend but some of his poems are too.
Erin
A solid and accessible collection though a little too varied in form for my tastes. Many of the pieces read like a narrative making me long for more and yet some are perfectly sparse:

Before Losing Yourself Completely to Love

Drop bread crumbs around your feet.
You will find yourself far away and hungry.

Short poetry doesn't get much better than that!
Peter
some solid variety here in terms of content and form. I appreciate being able to glance ahead and see something besides fifty more pages of couplets or whatever. I skipped here and there as I always do but the high points were plenty high for this reader. An approachable and enjoyable book of poems.
Gia
Wow, what a great collection of poems.
I wasn't expecting to like this as much as a did, but these poems are smart, the use of language is brilliant. There are poems for every taste, some are extremely humorous, some are sad.
This one became of of my current favourites.
W.B.
Jan 01, 2008 W.B. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
It was perhaps a tad too playful in its formalistic experiments, but I found some of the work memorable and moving. The one love poem in couplets (I'm not near the book now) was one of my favorite poems from that year...I would be interested in seeing more books by this poet.
Adaś
This collection is great. There is humor and accessibility and beautifully provocative scenes as well as a quite masterful use of form. It's good any time of the day, for a quick or slow read, and it's motivating poetry in more ways than one.
Cambria Lovelady
I went to grad school with Mark, and one of the poems is dedicated to me. It's my all-time favorite poem. Mark is prolific and beautiful writer; I'm not the biggest fan of poetry but I love love love this collection.
Molly M M
He wrote a poem about panties and now I have the only printed copy of it. Cool. He also is an IWU alum.
Patricia Murphy
This book makes me want to be a better poet.
Aran
Fun, lots of spring in its step.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Jaci Millette
Jaci Millette is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Gyure Lee
Gyure Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Andrea Vollmar
Andrea Vollmar marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Amy Pence
Amy Pence marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

National Poetry Series (1 - 10 of 156 books)
  • Silks
  • The Dollmaker's Ghost
  • Gumbo
  • The Mud Actor
  • The Incognito Lounge
The Importance of Peeling Potatoes in Ukraine The Making of Collateral Beauty A Meaning for Wife Green Zone New Orleans What, Friends, is a City?