Sweetwater American

Sweetwater American

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Set in Washington, D.C. and El Salvador, SWEETWATER AMERICAN is the story of an orphan and would-be filmmaker who is sent to live in a cursed town in El Salvador with her godmother, a woman whom she has never met and who may hold the secret to breaking the town's curse.

While living in El Salvador, after a film crew comes to her town to film a movie, twenty-two-year-old San...more
Published (first published February 3rd 2010)

Jeanne
This is a very interesting book, I would even call it a good story. Although I found it was hard to understand who the narrator is at certain parts of the book, mostly when she is taking you into the past. I do have to say the idea of the book was a good one, its just at times I found I was a bit lost but after re-reading I was able to find my way.
Marissa
I didn't enjoy the pace of the book nor did I find myself sympathetic to the characters even though horrible things seemed to have happened to all of them. The story jumped around in time and reality (at one point trying to tie in a curse and ghosts) and I found it jarring, annoying, and unbelievable. All in all, I finished this book still hoping some of the central characters would be killed off and am actually questioning whether it was worth the time it took to read it.
Llona Cunningham
This story is 'told by the author' rather than experienced by the reader. It's an eye-opener to the lifestyle of immigrants who follow ancient cultures and beliefs even while in this country -- at least as told from the perspective of a child's experience. I'm sure the pain and suffering descriptions are accurate at least for some people, but it's hard to read, hard to track what time period is being described, and sometimes hard to figure out who is on stage.
Kim
Dec 19, 2012 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
This was a difficult read. I had trouble following the storyline, and the multiple time shifts. It almost reminded me of the writings of Bryce Courtenay, but at a more junior level. Events seemed to happen out of the blue, as there was no build up, and I still don't understand what the deal was with the pregnancy. I think the premise is good, but some reworking is required to make it great.
Margaret
Been interested in this for a while, and finally got around to reading it. It wasn't what I was expecting, it was more. The flashbacks threw me at first, which is unusual, but they were still very well done. I definitely plan to keep this one.
Trudy
Not an enjoyable read for me! I had to reread quite often and the story did not have a comfortable flow, in my opinion.
Kathee
I really had a hard time followimg the story line. There was too much jumping aroumd.
Stacy Anthony
Didn't like the way it ended. Felt like it was rushed...and not finished.
Angel Kerner
I am loving this book and just cant wait to finish.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Chelsea Hudson
Chelsea Hudson marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Leslie Baptista
Leslie Baptista marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kimberly Kinner
Kimberly Kinner marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Shannon Hamilton
Shannon Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Cjmcd5662
Cjmcd5662 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Beth Taylor
Beth Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Sherri Fisher
Sherri Fisher marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Rumpel Frantic (Never Leave Me, #1) Taker of Light Damaged (Never Leave Me, #2) A Daughter's Guide to Traveling With Your Mom