Start by marking “Sweetwater American” as Want to Read:
Sweetwater American

Sweetwater American

A haunting and emotional story about the lives of immigrants in Washington, D.C. and the challenges and secrets they must overcome to keep their families together on their journey to a better life in America.

Set in Washington, D.C. and El Salvador, SWEETWATER AMERICAN is the story of two women who find one another in an unlikely way and who soon discover that they need ea
Published (first published February 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sweetwater American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweetwater American

Jeanne
Jan 18, 2012 Jeanne rated it liked it
This is a very interesting book, I would even call it a good story. Although I found it was hard to understand who the narrator is at certain parts of the book, mostly when she is taking you into the past. I do have to say the idea of the book was a good one, its just at times I found I was a bit lost but after re-reading I was able to find my way.
Michelle
May 02, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebies
Started this one a couple of years ago and put it down. Picked it up again in an effort to read through my backlog of freebies.

My main criticism of the book is the kindle formatting: the font sizing doesn't work correctly, there are no chapter divisions, making it difficult to scroll back and forth, and though x-ray was enabled, nothing in the book had been indexed to it.

As others have noted, it is difficult to get into and, despite each chapter beginning with the year in which it takes place,
Mary Jane
Feb 14, 2015 Mary Jane rated it liked it
I would have given the book 4 or even 5 stars, except that it really needed some editing to clean up both the text errors and the story line. I enjoyed the complex, interwoven stories, the variety of characters, and the touches of magical realism. At times the jumps in time and the jumps from one character's story to another were a bit confusing to the reader. I think some careful editing would tighten this up and turn a very good book into an excellent piece of literature.
Marissa
Apr 04, 2012 Marissa rated it did not like it
I didn't enjoy the pace of the book nor did I find myself sympathetic to the characters even though horrible things seemed to have happened to all of them. The story jumped around in time and reality (at one point trying to tie in a curse and ghosts) and I found it jarring, annoying, and unbelievable. All in all, I finished this book still hoping some of the central characters would be killed off and am actually questioning whether it was worth the time it took to read it.
LLona Cunningham
Nov 24, 2013 LLona Cunningham rated it liked it
This story is 'told by the author' rather than experienced by the reader. It's an eye-opener to the lifestyle of immigrants who follow ancient cultures and beliefs even while in this country -- at least as told from the perspective of a child's experience. I'm sure the pain and suffering descriptions are accurate at least for some people, but it's hard to read, hard to track what time period is being described, and sometimes hard to figure out who is on stage.
Kim
Dec 19, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: drama
This was a difficult read. I had trouble following the storyline, and the multiple time shifts. It almost reminded me of the writings of Bryce Courtenay, but at a more junior level. Events seemed to happen out of the blue, as there was no build up, and I still don't understand what the deal was with the pregnancy. I think the premise is good, but some reworking is required to make it great.
Margaret
Jun 18, 2013 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Been interested in this for a while, and finally got around to reading it. It wasn't what I was expecting, it was more. The flashbacks threw me at first, which is unusual, but they were still very well done. I definitely plan to keep this one.
Trudy
Oct 01, 2011 Trudy rated it did not like it
Not an enjoyable read for me! I had to reread quite often and the story did not have a comfortable flow, in my opinion.
Kathee
Feb 04, 2013 Kathee rated it it was ok
I really had a hard time followimg the story line. There was too much jumping aroumd.
Stacy Anthony
Mar 24, 2012 Stacy Anthony rated it it was ok
Didn't like the way it ended. Felt like it was rushed...and not finished.
Angel Kerner
Sep 12, 2011 Angel Kerner rated it really liked it
I am loving this book and just cant wait to finish.
Florencia Garcia
Florencia Garcia marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Stacey Timmons
Stacey Timmons marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Sophie Koufes
Sophie Koufes marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Hadassah Harper
Hadassah Harper is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2016
Nicole Berk
Nicole Berk marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Lucky Girls
Lucky Girls marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Ruth Lafler
Ruth Lafler rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Marie Sha
Marie Sha rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Kellie
Kellie added it
Jun 06, 2016
Mircalliaz
Mircalliaz marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Dee Gray
Dee Gray marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Amanda Wamsley
Amanda Wamsley rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
LUANA SCANLAN
LUANA SCANLAN rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Road Markers
  • Sarah's Diary
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Hot Flash
  • Corn Silk Days
  • Catharsis
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • The Second Ward
  • The Perfect Plan
  • Finding Clarity: A Mom, A Dwarf and a Posh Private School in the People's Republic of Berkeley
  • Praise Jerusalem!
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • The Manicurist
  • The God's Wife
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers #1)
  • Dark Legacy
Eileen Cruz Coleman was born in Washington, D.C. to an immigrant El Salvadoran mother and a Puerto Rican father. She is a graduate of the University of Maryland with a degree in History. Her short stories have appeared in numerous literary journals both online and in print. She lives in Maryland with her husband and two children.
More about Eileen Cruz Coleman...