Start by marking “Sweetwater American” as Want to Read:
Sweetwater American

Sweetwater American

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Set in Washington, D.C. and El Salvador, SWEETWATER AMERICAN is the story of an orphan and would-be filmmaker who is sent to live in a cursed town in El Salvador with her godmother, a woman whom she has never met and who may hold the secret to breaking the town's curse.

While living in El Salvador, after a film crew comes to her town to film a movie, twenty-two-year-old San
Published (first published February 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sweetwater American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweetwater American

Jeanne
This is a very interesting book, I would even call it a good story. Although I found it was hard to understand who the narrator is at certain parts of the book, mostly when she is taking you into the past. I do have to say the idea of the book was a good one, its just at times I found I was a bit lost but after re-reading I was able to find my way.
Marissa
I didn't enjoy the pace of the book nor did I find myself sympathetic to the characters even though horrible things seemed to have happened to all of them. The story jumped around in time and reality (at one point trying to tie in a curse and ghosts) and I found it jarring, annoying, and unbelievable. All in all, I finished this book still hoping some of the central characters would be killed off and am actually questioning whether it was worth the time it took to read it.
Llona Cunningham
This story is 'told by the author' rather than experienced by the reader. It's an eye-opener to the lifestyle of immigrants who follow ancient cultures and beliefs even while in this country -- at least as told from the perspective of a child's experience. I'm sure the pain and suffering descriptions are accurate at least for some people, but it's hard to read, hard to track what time period is being described, and sometimes hard to figure out who is on stage.
Kim
Dec 19, 2012 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
This was a difficult read. I had trouble following the storyline, and the multiple time shifts. It almost reminded me of the writings of Bryce Courtenay, but at a more junior level. Events seemed to happen out of the blue, as there was no build up, and I still don't understand what the deal was with the pregnancy. I think the premise is good, but some reworking is required to make it great.
Margaret
Been interested in this for a while, and finally got around to reading it. It wasn't what I was expecting, it was more. The flashbacks threw me at first, which is unusual, but they were still very well done. I definitely plan to keep this one.
Trudy
Not an enjoyable read for me! I had to reread quite often and the story did not have a comfortable flow, in my opinion.
Kathee
I really had a hard time followimg the story line. There was too much jumping aroumd.
Stacy Anthony
Didn't like the way it ended. Felt like it was rushed...and not finished.
Angel Kerner
I am loving this book and just cant wait to finish.
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Rachael Ecker
Rachael Ecker marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Pamela Yost
Pamela Yost is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Betina Breckenridge
Betina Breckenridge marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Tracee Gleichner
Tracee Gleichner marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Joye
Joye marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Angela Lee
Angela Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Gef
Gef marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Heather Bishop
Heather Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • The Second Ward
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • Finding the Way Back
  • The Perfect Plan
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Veiled Freedom
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Graves' End: A Magical Thriller
Rumpel Frantic (Never Leave Me, #1) Taker of Light Damaged (Never Leave Me, #2) A Daughter's Guide to Traveling With Your Mom