Start by marking “The Star Wars Trilogy: A New Hope/The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi (Classic Star Wars)” as Want to Read:

The Star Wars Trilogy: A New Hope/The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations #4-6)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  4,842 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Presents the complete "Star wars" trilogy, based on the motion pictures. "Star wars: a new hope" recounts the adventures of Luke Skywalker as he intercepts a cryptic message from a beautiful princess and heads for a desperate encounter in the enemy battle station known as the Death Star. "The empire strikes back" goes on to expose Darth Vader's scheme to capture Luke and t ...more
Published May 12th 1987 by Del Rey Books (first published 1976)

Brad
WARNING: This is not a review of the books. I plan to write those separately someday. This is, rather, a review of the original Star Wars Trilogy catalyzed by the final episode of Lost. Please don't bother reading this if you're looking for a book review. Thanks.

About twenty years ago, I found myself in a debate about the merits of the Star Wars Trilogy with a guy named Bill (at least I think that was his name. Let’s call him Bill) and my friend Dave. Bill was trying to convince us that the Tril
mark monday
Dec 16, 2012 mark monday marked it as unread-forever  ·  review of another edition
Episode IV: A New Hope

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Carol
Dec 24, 2015 Carol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saw-the-movie, sci-fi
Star Wars -The Force Awakens was incredible, but I have questions......and we have to wait until 2017???
Chad Warner
The movies of the original Star Wars trilogy (Episodes 4-6) are some of my favorite movies, so I decided to try the novelization. These books are very close to the movies, but some of the dialogue is different, and there are a few additional scenes in the book.

Star Wars
All 3 novels in this book are based on George Lucas' movie scripts, but this is the only one actually authored by him. There are a couple scenes of Luke with Biggs Darklighter and other friends on Tatooine that weren't in the movi
Jeremy
Mar 06, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing style gets progressively worse as you move through these books. Eventually, I swore that Yoda was narrating. Just clumsy and weirdly worded.
Claire
A New Hope: A fun, breezy read reminiscent of the pulp science-fiction of yesteryear, with the famous cast of characters we all know and love. It doesn't add to the film, but it's an enjoyable romp nonetheless.

The Empire Strikes Back: This is almost literally the film's script with a few added adjectives. While the edgy, dark story is still intact, this novelization brings nothing new to the table. And also, Yoda is blue for some reason.

The Return of the Jedi: Easily one of the best Star Wars fi
Xeyra
Apr 03, 2008 Xeyra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
As a longtime fan of Star Wars, it was a pleasure to read the novelizations of this beloved trilogy. One could almost hear the Millenium Falcon's engines as they soared into space, or that unique sound of the jedi lightsabers, or even recall various scenes from the movies as we read them in the books, the familiar lines coming to our lips. It gives an interesting sense of nostalgia.

It was particularly nice to read some missing scenes we never got to see in the movies, like a few more moments in
Jana
Jan 01, 2015 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These may not be the most well written books of all time, but they are really fun and enjoyable.
Anamarija
Jan 04, 2017 Anamarija rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I only saw Star Wars in 2015 (when The Force Awakens came out) and then the rest in 2016. Bad nerd, me. But, my parents already think Doctor Who is strange.

Either way, this was a birthday present from myself. It was a good choice. Spent a good two weeks very entertained and a bit like I was walking round with all three films.

The story is well, the same, obvi. But there is a little extra scene where Luke meets with his friend before the person whose name I’ve forgotten goes off to
Dominik
What a great read! The Star Wars trilogy novelization is written by three different authors (one for each movie) and all of them captured the space spirit perfectly. If you like Star Wars or movie novelizations in general, you should certainly check this out!
Stephen
Dec 26, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is for the Barnes & Noble leather-bound edition.

I initially received this as a Christmas gift from some good friends of mine and I immediately began to crack down and read it. I'm a big Star Wars fan and I've never had a chance to read any novelization set in the original Galactic Civil War.

I was prepared to simply relive the Big Three, but became curious when I discovered that the novelization of A New Hope is actually the ORIGINAL Novelization from 1977 that was based on an earlier
Neil
Oct 11, 2011 Neil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm the wrong person to write an objective review of anything to do with Star Wars, in my opinion, nothing beats it. Anything to do with the original films will always get five stars from me.

Ok, so the novels aren't great literature and Star Wars is meant to be watched, not read. But every fan will want this little hardcover edition of all three original trilogy novels. The novels follow the films pretty accurately, but at times the dialogue is slightly different. There's also a few added scenes
Martine
Sep 20, 2013 Martine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this for my three year old son. He is obsessed with Star Wars and I've never actually gotten through any of the movies. I wanted to be able to answer some of the questions he asks me while we are pretending/ playing Star Wars. I was pretty sure I could get through the books since I haven't been able to get through the movies. You can tell the books were written after the movies because they aren't as descriptive as I thought they'd be. I'm glad I read them. Now I am excited to watch th ...more
Brenda Ayala
Apr 19, 2015 Brenda Ayala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what you think it is--novelizations of the movie. The introduction from George Lucas confuses me a bit, and I'm not sure if these came first or the movies came first, but it doesn't really matter. There's a little extra detail (obviously, since it's a book) which I really appreciated, but ultimately if you've seen the movies you're not going to find out a lot of new information here.
Sue
May 12, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
You can't call yourself a fan without having read these. Period.
Marina Ribacki
O universo criado é maravilhoso PORÉM a escrita (e tradução? não sei dizer) foi sofrível em várias partes. Livro lindo de qualquer forma.
Grant
Aug 05, 2008 Grant rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Star Wars fans.
I'm a big fan of the Star Wars films but these novelisations of the classic trilogy did nothing for me I'm afraid. I hadn't really expected to be bowled over by the quality of the writing but I had hoped for a reasonably enjoyable read and some additional insight into the Star Wars canon. I got neither.

George Lucas's Star Wars was the best of the bunch (which surprised me, given the brain-dead and cheesy dialogue he gave his characters to spout in the prequel trilogy). Donald F. Glut's The Empir
Day  Morgenstern
Mar 17, 2016 Day Morgenstern rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. I can't even describe how much I enjoyed it. When I first started reading it I had abandoned previous books because they weren't written well. I was severely in need of a well written book. The Trilogy did not disappoint. It took me a while to get through because well, it's three separate stories that you have to work into the climax of individually, and I had school as well to finish for the year. Despite taking a while to read, I enjoyed it each time I read, ...more
Foggygirl
Good read, although there isn't much more background information storyline wise than there was in the movies, follows the basic screenplay. Yoda is described as being blue though in "The Empire Strikes Back" and then green in "Return of the Jedi" so that was glaringly inconsistent.
Drew Ck
Jun 03, 2015 Drew Ck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novelizations of the trilogy that made Han Solo, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Princess Leai, Obi Wan Kenobi, and multiple other household names. Complete with every deleted scene, most of the scenes added more depth to the story.
Miguel Angel
Just AMAZING!!!! I had this still in the packaging for a whole year before I decided to read it and I was blown away!!! New fan of this series!!!
STEEL99
Jan 18, 2016 STEEL99 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As great as the movies!
Ron
Apr 05, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, what do you expect.

Actually filled the characters out a bit.
Andy
Jan 24, 2017 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
There are times when the books are better than the movies and there are times when the movies are still better than the books, it's a case of the latter in this case.

I'm a big fan of the movies and the expanded universe (new and old, books, comics etc) but I'd never gotten round to reading the novelizations of the original movies.

The books didn't deviate away from what was the final script, as there aren't many changes or expanded scenes in the books compared to what is on screen, compared to sa
Nicolás Rojas Jiménez
I bought this book having seen the trilogy 15-20 times already, so as a fan I had very high hopes for it. Of course, I already knew the story and everything, so I didn't know how it would be to actually read it.
It is such an amazing book, to be honest. On one hand, Lucas, Glut & Kahn succeed in recreating the trilogy as we fans love it, allowing us to relive the whole experience as if it were the first time we discover the adventures of Luke Skywalker and his friends. But on the other hand,
M
Jan 29, 2017 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've already posted reviews of each of the three individual books, so I'll just briefly say that it was pretty fun to finally read the novelizations of my favorite movie series. The quality is a bit mixed at times, but it's cool to see some of the earliest Star Wars books and find some neat changes and expansions from the films, as well as some bad or just weird ones like Yoda being blue. I'm looking forward to continuing on from here to read some of the Expanded Universe material, both what I'v ...more
Maxim Libert
Nov 06, 2016 Maxim Libert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Korte Inhoud

Luke Skywalker is een normale boerenzoon op de planeet Tatooine. Hij werkt bij zijn oom op een vochtboerderij. Op een dag komen de Jawa's hun koopwaar slijten en ze verkopen Luke en zijn oom 2 robots, C3PO en R2D2. R2D2 heeft een hologramopname voor zijn oude meester, een man genaamd Obi-Wan Kenobi. De dag erna is R2 verdwenen en gaat Luke hem zoeken. Als hij de astromech heeft teruggevonden wordt hij aangevallen door Tusken Jagers. Na een luide kreet die leek op een dat van een Kray
Dennis Miller
Feb 10, 2017 Dennis Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fction
Loved reading this!
I have been watching the movies since 1977 reading them give much more in depth detail, it was very enjoyable.
Stacey
I enjoyed this series as a child and I still enjoy it today. Fun coming of age story about Luke Skywalker as he chooses between good and evil, the rebel alliance and the empire! This trilogy of stories follow the movie trilogy.
Jeremy Newton-smith
Really awesome way to experience the trilogy. Even though they are directly from the films, there is a lot added that you don't see on screen. Characters thoughts, side conversations, etc. Also, the books seemed surprisingly more violent. Especially Darth Vader and the way they described him and how he killed people. A definite must read for any fan of the movies.
Star Wars Books 1 2 Dec 27, 2016 02:00PM
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones
  • Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Star Wars Encyclopedia
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • Jedi Under Siege (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #6)
  • Ambush at Corellia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #1)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #1)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
George Walton Lucas, Jr. is an Academy Award-winning American film director, producer, and screenwriter. He is the creator of the epic Star Wars saga and the archaeologist-adventurer character Indiana Jones. Today, Lucas is one of the American film industry's most financially successful independent directors/producers, with an estimated net worth of $3.6 billion.
More about George Lucas...

Star Wars: Novelizations (8 books)
  • Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace
  • Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #1)
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • A New Hope  (Star Wars: Novelizations #4)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars - Episode V)
  • Return of the Jedi
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars)

“No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.” 937 likes