Start by marking “Star Wars: What Is A Wookiee? (DK Readers)” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: What Is A Wookiee? (DK Readers)

Star Wars: What Is A Wookiee? (Star Wars DK Readers - Level 1)

Young fans can learn more about alien characters from the Star Wars universe--from Chewbacca, Han Solo's loyal Wookiee companion, to Jedi Master Yoda and the Gungun race. Full color.
Published May 16th 2005 by DK CHILDREN (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Fjóla
We've now read a few of those Star Wars DK Readers, and this one is probably the easiest one, with very basic vocabulary, aside from some Star Wars lingo. It's actually not about Wookiees, contrary to what the title might suggest (the cover of this edition is a lot more representative of the contents of this book), although there is a page about Chewbacca. Instead, it features a few of the creatures encountered in the Star Wars series, such as wookies, Ewoks, droids, Gungans, Hutts, a Toydarian, ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
C-3PO introduces beginning readers to several Star Wars creatures. The photos from the movies are a plus for Star Wars fans.
Mary
Aug 02, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure om grandson reading this to me: From the Beginning To Read series of thirty illustrated stories, ten each of three reading levels.
Maximus
Nov 11, 2011 Maximus rated it did not like it
its so dumb
Betty Silvia
Nov 23, 2015 Betty Silvia rated it it was ok
I read this book to share with my grandson, Ryan. While I am not a fan of the Star Wars movies, I know that he is. The book was written in simple language with graphic pictures. The book seemed more like an encyclopedia of the various characters and vocabulary used in the Star Wars movies. There is no story-line in the book, but we learn that Wookiees are tall furry aliens. It would be good to read this book before watching the movies.
Elizabeth S
Sep 06, 2016 Elizabeth S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-beginner
Silly me, given the cover and the title I thought we'd be reading about Wookies. Turns out we get 1-2 pages about Chewbacca, and the rest is about other various aliens in Star Wars. (By the way, "alien" is defined as "not human", but there is no explanation as to what "human" is. Since this book is aimed at beginning readers....) So if you want a page about Chewbacca and a page about Jar-Jar and a page about a number of other random Star Wars creatures, then you'll enjoy this.
Sarah Adamson
This is a nice simple early reader introducing kids to some of the aliens and other creatures found in the Star Wars universe. C3P0 does a basic introduction to the idea of aliens and space for the sake of those not in the know and then talks about some of the main features of some of the creatures. Fun and gentle with some great simple words and explanation of how to pronounce some of the harder names!!
Jennifer Haight
Sep 13, 2011 Jennifer Haight rated it really liked it
With photographs complimenting the text, this is a great beginning reader for Star Wars fans. Kids not interested in the film will most likely not enjoy this read. The story is very dry, it is simply the droid character C3-P0 telling about the creatures and characters in the Star Wars world. Characters include droids, aliens and ewoks.
Amber Pangburn
Dec 04, 2011 Amber Pangburn rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is about the creatures in Star Wars and why they exist. I would use this to have the students show thier site words. I would also have the students also use tally marks to tally how many of each site words.
Allison
The title make you think that you will only be learning about wookiees but it is about a lot of characters in the Star Wars movies.this book would be good to get a child maybe interested in read because it is about Star Wars.
Carter Harrison
Sep 19, 2014 Carter Harrison rated it it was amazing
We love this book and give it 5 stars! Mom says it deserves just 3. However, since this is our Goodreads account and not hers, we get to give it 5! (She says the book lacks real content, and gets annoyed when it says Watto is blue, but the picture shows him as a dingy green color).
Aaron Wallace
May 15, 2014 Aaron Wallace rated it did not like it
I wish it would actually explain what a wookie is.It just tells you about other creatures.So if you want to read 1-2 pages about chewbacca and hole bunch of diffrent aleins then you will like this book a lot.
Adrielle
A fun twist on a reading primer, but deceptively, not really about Wookies. Every time the page is turned, a new character is discussed which was a bit overwhelming for my non-Star-Wars-indoctrinated 6 year old.
Dawn
Oct 28, 2007 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarylove
I admit, I checked this out from the library simply for the title. :)

Good book for kids who are learning to read. :)
Evan
Nov 15, 2009 Evan rated it it was amazing
I liked Jar Jar Binks the best because he's so funny. It is fiction. I like the part where they showed Jar Jar.
Bill
Aug 06, 2008 Bill rated it really liked it
A little too prequel trilogy-centric for my liking, but the kiddo loves it, so we'll go with what he thinks in this case. And there's a picture of Natalie Portman in it, so that's always nice.
Mary
Aug 02, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of my grandson reading this to me from the Beginning to Read series of thirty illustrated stories, ten each of three reading levels.
Vicki
Feb 04, 2009 Vicki rated it really liked it
I got this for my 2 year old son. He loves it so much that he sleeps with it. He loves the pictures in the book and learning about the Star Wars characters.
Jacob Razer
Jun 26, 2014 Jacob Razer rated it liked it
i liked this book.it told about some creatures in star wars.but the title is what is a wookiee.it tells you about other creatures instead.i think it should really tell what a wookiee is.
Melissa Namba
Mar 28, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it really liked it
Shelves: coplin
The title is misleading. Nothing in depth about wookiees, but introduces you to various characters and alien types. Overall, the quality I expect from DK.
Matt Mazenauer
Matt Mazenauer rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2007
Harsha
Harsha rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Hermella
Hermella rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
May 24, 2013
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Shaun Smith
Shaun Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
Lucas Youinou
Lucas Youinou rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Brett Minor
Brett Minor rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Star Wars: Journey Through Space
  • Star Wars: Luke Skywalker's Amazing Story (DK Readers Level 1)
  • Flying High (DC Super Friends)
  • Star Wars: The Story of Darth Vader (DK Readers Level 3)
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Batman: The Story of the Dark Knight
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • Splat the Cat with a Bang and a Clang
  • Acorns Everywhere!
  • Arthur's Reading Race
  • Star Wars ABC
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia
  • Dinosaur Train
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • Get Well, Pikachu! (Pokemon Reader #6)
  • Zack's Alligator
  • Spot Bakes a Cake

Star Wars DK Readers - Level 1 (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Star Wars: Blast Off!
  • Star Wars: Ready, Set, Podrace! (DK Readers Level 1)
  • Star Wars: Tatooine Adventures
  • Star Wars: Who Saved the Galaxy? (DK Readers Level 1)
  • Star Wars: Luke Skywalker's Amazing Story (DK Readers Level 1)
  • Star Wars: Even Droids Need Friends! (DK Readers Level 1)
  • Star Wars: Are Ewoks Scared of Stormtroopers?
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt! (DK Readers Level 1)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Don't Wake the Zillo Beast!
  • Ahsoka in Action! (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)