Start by marking “Free from Lies: Discovering Your True Needs” as Want to Read:
Free from Lies: Discovering Your True Needs

Free from Lies: Discovering Your True Needs

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Since the landmark publication of The Drama of the Gifted Child, no one has been more influential than Alice Miller in empowering adults whose lives were maimed emotionally and physically as children. Now Dr. Miller goes even further, presenting groundbreaking theories that enhance communication between therapist and patient and enable the adult to express powerful emotion ...more
Published June 28th 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Free from Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free from Lies

Elevate Difference
In her latest study, Free From Lies, famed psychologist Alice Miller examines the way child abuse shapes the psyche and the effect it can have on humanity. While the human brain has an incredible ability to normalize traumatic events, Miller argues that abuses suffered in childhood can never truly be repressed. It appears as though humanity is suffering from a collective amnesia regarding the wrongs we suffered in infancy. These wrongs, according to Miller, will manifest themselves later in life ...more
Autumn Christian
Not the usual fair for a "favorite books" list, but Alice Miller was recommended to me by my psychiatrist. It's a book about the repressed childhood abuse that later breeds self-hatred and sickness. I don't agree with many of her points, and a lot of it is anecdotal, but Alice Miller and her stance on anti-forgiveness and protecting the child, not the parents, is a refreshing take on childhood trauma.
Craven
Pretty good book on the effects of child abuse and how the adult body holds the memory of it that the mind represses. This isn't considered the pinnacle of the authors work and theory, it's just the one I happened to find. I wish I'd of read "The Drama of the Gifted Child" but this is the one that came my way and I think that I got the gist her theory.
Shannon
If only Alice Miller's discovery of the harmful effects of oppressive parenting were understood, the world would become a more peaceful place. I have found such salvation through her perceptions.
September
This book was a revelatory read. Eye opening and life changing.

I REALLY wish Alice Miller was still alive, because I would've loved to have gotten to know her. She seemed like a fascinating person!!

This book sheds light in corners I've never heard talked about. Corners that needed exposing long since. I wish I could give this book to everyone I know without anyone taking offense, and actually have them glean from it what I have. Discussion is the spark to an idea catching like wildfire.

This bo
Gisela
Got to page 110 (Chapter - Misleading Information) before having to return the book to the library
Jendi
Miller is on her strongest ground when she is delivering her unique, empowering insights into the personal psychology of healing from abuse. No one does it better, and for that reason I recommend this essay collection despite its unevenness. I'm less convinced by her essays that purport to explain all societal evils as child abuse reenactment. It's surely a factor, but in my view she discounts structural inequalities too much (poverty, racism, etc.).
Kajong
Kajong marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
One-Eyed Pak
One-Eyed Pak marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Aisuru
Aisuru marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Hendersonhillary
Hendersonhillary marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Jenny Mcmillan
Jenny Mcmillan marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Vegard Haugen
Vegard Haugen marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Deborah L. Vincent
Deborah L. Vincent marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Liberty Kyle
Liberty Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Jacynda Minor
Jacynda Minor marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Kati
Kati marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Sulaiman Dawood
Sulaiman Dawood marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Healing Your Aloneness: Finding Love and Wholeness Through Your Inner Child
  • Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story
  • The Emotionally Abusive Relationship: How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing
  • Why Is It Always About You? : The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism
  • Invisible Girls: The Truth About Sexual Abuse--A Book for Teen Girls, Young Women, and Everyone Who Cares About Them
  • The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process and Compulsive Behavior
  • The Medicalization of Society: On the Transformation of Human Conditions into Treatable Disorders
  • The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness
  • Waking Up, Alive
  • The Aftermath of Feminism: Gender, Culture and Social Change
  • Freeing Yourself from the Narcissist in Your Life
  • Falling in Love for All the Right Reasons: How to Find Your Soul Mate
  • Fear of a Queer Planet: Queer Politics and Social Theory
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • Emotional Unavailability: Recognizing It, Understanding It, and Avoiding Its Trap
  • Psychotherapy without the Self: A Buddhist Perspective
  • A Secure Base: Parent-Child Attachment and Healthy Human Development
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
Psychologist and world renowned author, who is noted for her books on child abuse, translated in several languages. In her books she departed from psychoanalysis charging it with being similar to the poisonous pedagogies, which she described in For Your Own Good .

Miller was born in Poland and as young woman lived in Warshaw where she survived World War II. In 1953 she gained her doctorate in phi
More about Alice Miller...
The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence The Body Never Lies: The Lingering Effects of Cruel Parenting Thou Shalt Not Be Aware : Society's Betrayal of the Child The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness and Finding Your True Adult Self