Start by marking “Free from Lies: Discovering Your True Needs” as Want to Read:
Free from Lies: Discovering Your True Needs

Free from Lies: Discovering Your True Needs

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Since the landmark publication of The Drama of the Gifted Child, no one has been more influential than Alice Miller in empowering adults whose lives were maimed emotionally and physically as children. Now Dr. Miller goes even further, presenting groundbreaking theories that enhance communication between therapist and patient and enable the adult to express powerful emotion...more
Published June 28th 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Free from Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free from Lies

Elevate Difference
In her latest study, Free From Lies, famed psychologist Alice Miller examines the way child abuse shapes the psyche and the effect it can have on humanity. While the human brain has an incredible ability to normalize traumatic events, Miller argues that abuses suffered in childhood can never truly be repressed. It appears as though humanity is suffering from a collective amnesia regarding the wrongs we suffered in infancy. These wrongs, according to Miller, will manifest themselves later in life...more
Autumn Christian
Not the usual fair for a "favorite books" list, but Alice Miller was recommended to me by my psychiatrist. It's a book about the repressed childhood abuse that later breeds self-hatred and sickness. I don't agree with many of her points, and a lot of it is anecdotal, but Alice Miller and her stance on anti-forgiveness and protecting the child, not the parents, is a refreshing take on childhood trauma.
Craven
Pretty good book on the effects of child abuse and how the adult body holds the memory of it that the mind represses. This isn't considered the pinnacle of the authors work and theory, it's just the one I happened to find. I wish I'd of read "The Drama of the Gifted Child" but this is the one that came my way and I think that I got the gist her theory.
Shannon
If only Alice Miller's discovery of the harmful effects of oppressive parenting were understood, the world would become a more peaceful place. I have found such salvation through her perceptions.
Jendi
Miller is on her strongest ground when she is delivering her unique, empowering insights into the personal psychology of healing from abuse. No one does it better, and for that reason I recommend this essay collection despite its unevenness. I'm less convinced by her essays that purport to explain all societal evils as child abuse reenactment. It's surely a factor, but in my view she discounts structural inequalities too much (poverty, racism, etc.).
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Sasa
Sasa marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Annika
Annika added it
Sep 27, 2014
Sári Halász
Sári Halász marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Aneitascott
Aneitascott marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jonathan Sterkenburg
Jonathan Sterkenburg marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Giancoli
Giancoli marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Fantods, The
Fantods, The marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Breana Cross Hall
Breana Cross Hall marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Ebony
Ebony marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kavitha
Kavitha marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Psychologist and world renowned author, who is noted for her books on child abuse, translated in several languages. In her books she departed from psychoanalysis charging it with being similar to the poisonous pedagogies, which she described in For Your Own Good .

Miller was born in Poland and as young woman lived in Warshaw where she survived World War II. In 1953 she gained her doctorate in phil...more
More about Alice Miller...
The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence The Body Never Lies: The Lingering Effects of Hurtful Parenting Thou Shalt Not Be Aware : Society's Betrayal of the Child The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness and Finding Your True Adult Self