3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  39 reviews
You don't have to say yes "to prove that you love them."

""Describes helpful, pertinent, and loving ways to correct spoiled behavior before it becomes a serious problem.""
"-ParentWorld"

Nearly 95% of parents feel like they are overindulging their children, but feel powerless to stopping themselves.

"How to Unspoil Your Child Fast "offers a straightforward and practical solut...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks (first published October 1st 2007)

David
Mar 19, 2014 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: Stella
Shelves: parenting
This is a short, concise book on an approach to child rearing. Richard Bromfield has written a common-sense guide to making sure that your child does not feel like he/she is the center of the universe. If you have a "spoiled" child, you probably want to solve the problem fast, and Bromfield has patterned the book for fast results. He does not want you, the pattern to take small steps and gradually build up--he wants you to grab your child's attention. Don't announce your intentions; actions spea...more
Stella
Aimed at parents with older children, but useful to read at any age. (glad I read it now when my son is only three)
A no- nonsense guide to child raring. Maybe if we all did it this way we wouldn't have so many exhausted and unhappy parents out there (with equally grumpy and unsatisfied children)

I can't recommend it enough!

Some passages I underlined:

"Pay him to brush his teeth today, and why will he ever brush them in the future for free? He won’t. Buy her a $60 video game for doing a week’s wor...more
Catriona
I'm not a fan – or perhaps I'm just tired – of parenting books, but this one was fantastic. Easily applied, down-to-earth, and common-sense advice. The tone was great. Highly recommended.

Note: I purchased it for $1.93(!) from the Canadian Kindle store.
Wendy
Dec 07, 2010 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wendy by: Courtney :)
Really good book for me to read. My children are monsters and I just found out that it's my fault! hahaha ....I'm pumped up and ready to be strict!
Courtney
Great FAST book every parent should read - even parents who think they don't need to read it. That means you definitely need to read it.
Molly
Quick, easy to read, and funny. The cover doesn't do it justice!
Nicole
Quick read, good advice
Lenore Webb
Oh so I am ever ever ever giving my niece the book 'How to Unspoil Your Child Fast' by Richard Bromfield, Ph. D. because she needs it! Yes, it is not too late to fix this issue. No I am not saying to start beating her child....no way. But setting limits, standing firm to your decisions and not being an overindulgent parent is the way to go. Here she can read with empathetic and still good practical parenting advice on how to improve their lives all around. Oh, and she has a 2 month old baby too....more
Samantha
I have tried many parenting techniques over the years (including the ones that make us cry when our kids aren't looking) and all along I thought it was my child who was the problem in our relationship. Lo and behold, it was me (yeah, duh!). I was sure I had not spoiled her but after reviewing the 12 item check list at the beginning of the book and checking 9 of the "spoiler" qualities, I threw in the towel. Bromfield gives practical, common sense advice and strategies without the psycho-babble o...more
Cyndi
My "notes" or highlights while reading this:

How to Unspoil Your Child Fast: A Speedy, Complete Guide to Contented Children and Happy Parents (Richard Bromfield)
==========
A child learns gratitude by not getting everything she wants. A child learns patience by waiting. A child learns generosity by sharing and giving. A child learns self-control by having to control herself. And above all, she learns contentment by not being trained to always need more and faster.
==========
it will be your actions—...more
Michelle Newell
Excellent!

Instead of very specific "rules" for parenting, the author first recognizes that most parents are neither dumb nor trying to turn out spoiled kids. Then he gives general guidelines to help us evaluate our parenting and the results we are currently seeing with our children. He's actually very gracious and encouraging as he offers ideas and backs them up with real life examples. He also resists the urge to tell us that if we do not do it his way, we will wreck our kids. After reading man...more
Meagan Kale
I think this would work if EVERYONE in the house were on the same page, but when you have other family members working against you.......We are going to need another book for that!! Audio book maybe to play over and over with kind of a subliminal message.....there's a thought!
Cassie
I love the way this book was written. Very down to earth. Nice and easy/fast read. Not something you have to read and reread to make sure you got it. Very common-sense and pretty much what you already know how you should be doing but just aren't. As parents, we get into ruts and sometimes too often take the easy way out when it comes to parenting. We need to be reminded that it is okay to be the parent and be the one who is incharge. In the long run, even if you aren't popular for a time, we all...more
Leonard
Very compact, common sense advice and easy and fast to read, if it's an emergency! Hope it works!
Kristi
This showed up as free on Kindle one day and so I bit. It discusses discipline for kids ages 2-12. Contrary to the title, you could actually get something from this even if your children are not yet spoiled. For parents of toddlers, I'd recommend skimming it. There is some reasonable advice (or at least several things I recognize from my mom's approach to dealing with me during my spoiled child days), but most anecdotes discuss older children.
Steve
Much of what this book says is "common sense" but it's always nice to be reminded what common sense is so that you feel less guilty about applying it. While a few things that the author suggests didn't quite resonate with me, his overall message, combined with specific suggestions seem very useful. The book is a quick read, even for a busy parent, and you can start applying the suggestions as you go before finishing the book.
Wendy Palmer
A quick and commonsensical read, with the author managing to hit the right note of emphasising the importance of 'unspoiling' without being overbearing about it (in fact, he's quite funny). While none of the techniques are particularly groundbreaking, it is good to have a concrete reminder of things to avoid slipping into the habit of, as well as the pitfalls of the common techniques of 1-2-3 and choice-giving.
Kristina
This was a super fast read that could be done in one sitting. It had a lot of good thoughts and ideas though and I appreciated the perspective it was coming from. I would recommend it as a straight-forward parenting book with a lot of good reminders about what most parents (at least in the back of their mind) already know about the dangers of spoiling your children.
Ann
This is a great, quick read for parents who are concerned with spoiling their children. The book contains easy, common sense ideas that can be immediately implemented into daily life. Alternatively, this book could also be an affirmation for parents who second-guess their approach to giving, and want to make sure they are parenting in the 'right' direction.
Hilary
A great, quick read ideal for busy parents who maybe only have the time to dip in and read a chapter here and there. Each chapter focuses on one area, shows a couple of "Here's how it often plays out" scenarios, and offers alternate resolutions and a short, relatively easy piece of "homework" to try.
Tyrone Mitchell
I bought this impulsively after a meltdown by my daughter...and after a few days of difficulty. It's a quick read, but full of good information. I immediately saw some of the traits that I employed (unsuccessfully) and gave me some perspective. I might re-read it periodically to get a refresher.
Marissa
Not that my kids are spoiled.... Ha ha! But this book was a quick and easy plan to turn spoiling into productive parenting. It was helpful for me to hear and it makes it easy to put the lessons into action immediately. I have already started to implement the plan and am seeing results.
Melissainau
Apr 13, 2011 Melissainau rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fraser
I really liked this book. Full of common sense, simple things to try do, and pitched at the right level too. I don't think my children are hideous but it helped me to recognise that there are things I do that aren't giving the right message.
Persephone
This book contains a lot of helpful tips. While some of them seem almost cold or cruel I can understand why they would be effective. Unfortunately, any self help book is only as good as your will to follow the tips consistently. :)
Cristy
A fast, simple book to read. It brings home all the points that we as parents should be following to raise secure, independant, respectful kids. I would recommend this book to anyone who has realized they over-indulge their kids.
Jodi
Nothing new ideas for me; except to look inward- am I a shopper? do I get excited about hoarding? am I a Starbuck addict? If I had to do all over....well....I'd think about all those lavish praise, birthday and xmas gifts. UGH!!
Emily Wilding
Very good and practical. One of the few of this type of book that I have read cover to cover without finding boring or nonrelevant. Somewhat geared toward young children, but can apply to teenagers (and adults) too.
Rebecca V

Great parenting book!! Quick read with great advice. This should be a must-read for all parents, because lets face it, most kids are spoiled. I really liked the chapter shock and awe them!!
Mary
I found this online as a free Kindle book. I was a fast and easy read. It had a lot of good tips and examples. Well worth the time to read. It gave me some good ideas.
Melanie
Nothing earth shattering or new here, but a quick, easy read that reinforces some good parenting habits and attitudes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Teens in Therapy: Making It Their Own: Engaging Adolescents in Successful Therapy for Responsible Lives Embracing Asperger's: A Primer for Parents and Professionals Playing for Real: Exploring the World of Child Therapy and the Inner Worlds of Children How to Turn Boys into Men Without a Man Around the House: A Single Mother's Guide Doing Therapy with Children and Adolescents with Asperger Syndrome

“numbers. According to a 2007 survey conducted by AOL and the family magazine Cookie, 94 percent of parents say their children are spoiled, up from the 80 percent measured by a 1991 Time and CNN poll. This percentage may sound high, but to me the question is, Who are these other” 0 likes
“had failed to learn the value of money and how to work for it. And in a Center for a New American Dream survey, a vast majority of parents (87 percent) reported that the consumerism of modern society makes instilling good values in their children a much harder job. That the amount of” 0 likes