Start by marking “Chemistry: The Central Science” as Want to Read:
Chemistry: The Central Science

Chemistry: The Central Science

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  586 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Chemistry: The Central Science, Seventh Edition is designed to provide you with an introduction to the concepts of chemistry. The goals of this text are several: to introduce you to the fundamental science of chemistry, including chemical reactions, the composition of atoms and elements, the structure and bonding of molecules, the characteristics of different chemical subs ...more
Hardcover, AP 10th Edition, 1128 pages
Published March 10th 2005 by Pearson Prentice Hall (first published 1977)

Myra Khan
I think this book gets as bad a rep as it does from students because they don't actually read it at all. Take it from someone who's read the book through and through- it's very decent. The authors try very hard to write in simple language that anyone would understand and there were even some humorous bits where certain concepts were concerned. I could've done with more sample exercises but the ones they provided were appreciated. There's quite a lot crammed into this text so I think they did the ...more
Melissa Vadakara
Aug 19, 2013 Melissa Vadakara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the chapters were easy to understand from reading it once over. My only criticism of the book is that it should have more practice problems after the chapter with answers in the back of the book, and that certain concepts could have been explained better, like when and what kind of setup problems required in chapter 17, (but then again ch 17 is toward the back of the book, or chem 2 for me). it was really helpful as I was mainly self teaching the material.
Elisabeth
Jan 03, 2016 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, school-stuff
QUÍMICA: LA CIENCIA CENTRAL
(Highschool Text Book)
Theodore L. Brown

[**** ] 3 & 1/2 Stars.

I'm kind of a science nerd when it comes to Biology and Chemistry. This book is huge but probably my favorite school book ever.
Rex
Jan 28, 2008 Rex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Decent textbook.
Natalie
Sep 05, 2013 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to learn about chemistry, chemistry lovers, chemistry students
Recommended to Natalie by: chemistry professor
I used this book a lot in my chemistry class. It helped me a bunch and is a great book to use for basic chemistry. I really like this book.

Granted it is just for school and NOT used for entertainment. Unless you have a fascination for chemistry, which I do, then you'll enjoy the concepts of the basics of chemistry this book provides.

I never read nonfiction but for school and textbooks, I have no choice but to make an exception for school.

Either way, this was a great book and it really helped m
Nair
Jul 14, 2016 Nair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For your basic chemsitry needs
KRISTEL JANE
Feb 07, 2016 KRISTEL JANE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my college book and I love it.
Monique Edrozo
Apr 23, 2014 Monique Edrozo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chemistry
Lovely. I can't ask for more!
Maricela
Jun 25, 2014 Maricela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is a great book.
David Glad
Jun 30, 2013 David Glad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, academia
Decent introductory textbook for what it is, although I suppose the major flaw seems to be at that point where you were struggling to grasp something and finally do, I found it frustrating that they then emphasize that this is just an introductory text.. which is funny all the same as they made notes at one point or another that some aspects of chemistry (despite the mention in said introductory text) are still being fleshed out.
Russell
Dec 06, 2010 Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book in the series. All the other books didn't even have romance or suspense or drama or ANYTHING! My favorite part was when the professor related the quantum theory to letters and numbers and other black symbols signifying many more weeks of suffering through AP Chemistry. It blew my mind how close the exams were! A must-read! Five stars!
It actually was the most helpful thing in the world.
Vanessa
May 30, 2011 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good explanations, photos, and diagrams. However, for the 11th edition, there are a ridiculous number of typos and other proofreading errors in the text as well as between the exercises and respective answers, which can be very confusing and frustrating. Students deserve more thorough proofing, especially at the prices these editions are going for.
Chelsea Southworth
lmao no this is the only book I've read in its entirety since starting college, I mean it helped me pass tests but it also helped me fall asleep which is not an entirely bad thing but not what you really want in any book. #soblessed to be done reading it.
Dan Newton
Read the whole book (with the exception of the organic chem chapter) during two semesters of college chemistry for engineers. Overall, very well organized, clear and great step by step examples. I want e a huge fan of the online mastering chemistry component, but good book.
Samantha
Jan 13, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, education
I still refer to this book concerning several chemical concepts in several aspects of scientific study. The authors did well to describe chemical concepts, processes, etc offering in text exercises with step by step explanations which was the most valuable to me.
Beth Johnson
Jun 25, 2012 Beth Johnson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Not a bad text book. It did have it's dry parts, but it mixed in enough graphics, examples and sidebars to keep you from getting too bored. I wish the ebook version was actually a downloadable file instead of just available on the website.
Sharon
Jan 15, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. Everything was so clearly set out, the problems were challenging but doable - with a little help and a lot of struggling - and it really, really clarified a lot of things, especially in thermo.
Hannah
I enjoyed this book more than the class itself, especially my teacher. I passedwith an A-, which surprised even me. I guess, I learned more from reading this book than listening to my Prof. Go figure.
Carolee
My Shelf includes all the reference textbooks (this covers all the basics ... and not much rudimentary stuff changes) I saved from College/University courses.
Alyssa
Yay, for Chemistry I. Maybe.

*Edit* After 8 months with this book (and the completion of Chemistry II), my sentiments have not changed. :/
W
Dec 30, 2011 W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
This book is pretty good. I used it for both general chem classes. It worked for the class but I didn't really enjoy reading it.
Andrew
Aug 08, 2008 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I lived out of this book for a year and a half. It was about as good as a chemistry text book can be.
Logan
Fantastic read for learning chemistry. Aided me throughout the year while taking the class.
Andrey
Apr 16, 2014 Andrey rated it liked it
It got the dang job done well enough. Now I need to ace this AP test.
*sigh*
classification of matter
Morgan
Dec 19, 2013 Morgan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook, science
This chemistry textbook was just like a chemistry textbook to me.
leonorgrace
May 20, 2014 leonorgrace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is our text book in college. This explains everything!
Amanda
May 30, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me more than the professors did. By a LONG shot.
Lutfi
Sep 22, 2012 Lutfi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-read
i need 2 download
Christine
Aug 23, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Chemistry textbook. Nice discussion. Details are okay.
  • Chemistry
  • Electric Circuits
  • Fundamentals of Physics
  • Analytical Mechanics
  • Organic Chemistry
Brown, Theodore L. (Theodore Lawrence), 1928- (per Library of Congress)
More about Theodore L. Brown...