Start by marking “Overcoming Sin and Temptation” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Sin and Temptation

Overcoming Sin and Temptation

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  1,098 ratings  ·  41 reviews

The writings of John Owen are a challenge to any reader, to say the least. His intricacy and complexity are intimidating and his language is downright befuddling at times. However, the depth of thought and the immense value of Owen's works cannot be quantified. His three classic works on sin and temptation are profoundly helpful to any believer who seeks to become more lik

Published (first published 1656)

Alexis Neal
Editors Kelly M. Kapic and Justin Taylor do their darnedest to make one of the most notoriously unreadable Puritans accessible to lay readers. This is my first exposure to Owen, so I can't really compare their 'modernized' version to the original, but I can say that although it was substantively dense and organizationally complex, it was also quite readable.

In fact, Kapic and Taylor are so determined to simplify Owen that they footnote and define more than 250 words throughout the book--words r
David Westerfield
Owen brings so much content to the table concerning the nature and power of sin in the life of the believer, it is like trying to drink from a fire hose. His thought process, logic, and ability to synthesize Biblical information is beyond comparison. The book is actually a compilation of three books: On the Mortification of Sin in Believers, Of Temptation: The Nature and Power of It, and Indwelling Sin.

In the first book, On the Mortification of Sin in Believers, Owen makes the distinction, from
Andy
This book has quite possibly impacted my life more than any other book outside of the Bible.
Zachary Barnhart
"The really great writers are not valuable for their cleverness but for their straightforward and astonishing insight into what the Bible really says about great realities. This is what we need."

John Piper's opening exhortations in the Foreword are an important introduction to not only these paramount works of John Owen, but the theologian himself. John Owen is one of the most prolific writers and teachers in the history of the church. His writing is extensive, rich, and the perfect paradoxical
Edward Sanderlin
Next to my bible, this book has had the greatest impact on my life. I will say this book proved to be a great challenge to read. I often re-read sentences and pages because of the difficulty. However, the work put forth was well worth it. This book is a combination of 3 works by John Owen. His included works are the mortification of sin, indwelling sin in believers, and the nature of temptation. This book makes much of Christ and paints a vivid picture of the terriblness of sin. This book crushe ...more
Jacob O'connor
This is the most helpful book on this topic I've ever read.

Most of us are familiar with the legend of the two wolves that live in our souls. There is a good one. There's a bad one. Which one wins? The one you feed.

John Owen gets beat up for being difficult to read. I didn't find this to be a distraction. It isn't light material, but this is best read as a devotional or as a resource with you feel under attack.

Owen keeps coming back to the central premise: we must mortify our flesh and be made al
Rhyan Phillips
Well it finally happened. I finished this book after working on it off and on for maybe a year and a half. It is a difficult book to speak of in short because, as Owen shows, there is much to be said about sin. I will say this is probably a book you can read many times and continue to learn from. It is fairly puritanical language but it's manageable and the revelations and convictions herein are certainly not bound by linguistic discrepancies.
Lea Lea
This was my first introduction to Owen, and for that matter, Puritan writers. It is difficult to express how influential this book has been. It is the type of book to always have nearby and to read in small portions, so as to ruminate on it all day. it is surprising how life-giving and applicable such an old book could be.
Brian
Technically I only read the section entitled "Of the Mortification of Sin in Believers," but I'm fairly confident that this section is typical of the whole book. As to the annotations and corrections by the editors of this collection, they were very well done. They were kept as minimal as necessary and so didn't distract at all. However, that said, other than increasing my vocabulary with unusable words, I'm not sure I see the value of keeping the antiquated language at all. I may just opt for a ...more
Trey Bahm
Masterful theology by this great Englishman. Both he and contemporary John Milton wrote political literature (a.k.a. propaganda) on behalf of the mid-17th Century Puritan movement. Owen himself was an advisor to Oliver Cromwell.
Michaelpatrick Keena
I have always enjoyed Owens, and look forward to this current edition of his works. Reading Owen is no mere walk through the park, but after walking his path through the Word, one is never left the same
Bryan McWhite
This is the best book I have ever read on sin and the battle against it. This is must-read stuff for every believer. One of the most formative books of my life.
Danny
Pure gold. Get it. Read it!
Jeanie
From what I understand, this essay turned book, was intended for high school students going into college. It is one those studies that you will need to read several times at different times of your walk just because it speaks deeply of the things of God. I choose to read this important essay because popular blogger Tim Challies had invited his readers to read along with him. Each week we were to read a chapter and he would write his thoughts. I have included his web page for you to take a look. ...more
J.b. Machen
In the introduction for this book there is found a quote by Andrew Thomson on Owen's writing; "Owen travels through it [his subject] with the elephant's grace and solid step, if sometimes also with his ungainly motion."(15) Upon Reading through this book this proves to be an apt statement. Reading Owen's writing can sometimes feel like trudging through thick mud, but the time spent is well worth it. While the pace and prose of Owen's style can leave you confounded and re-reading whole paragraphs ...more
Coyle
This book contains a heavily-edited version of John Owen's three treatises "Mortification of Sin," "On Temptation," and "Indwelling Sin." When I say "heavily-edited", I mean NOT that the language has been updated as some modern Puritan reprints do (the bad ones, mostly), but that Owen's outline has been corrected and obscure words have been footnoted. So, where Owen might give a series of points that run like this: 1. Sin; 2. Redemption; D. Application; 5. Corollary; 6. Sin again; etc; the edito ...more
This book is possibly one of the best I have ever read.
It seemed like Owen was killing me at times by using the Word to convict me of my sins and ripping out confidence in myself.

The only way to mortify sin is by the Holy Spirit. Apart from Him all actions are fruitless and done in vain.

The section on how desire and temptation lead to sin was very good to hear. Owen's talked of all the ways we make provision for the flesh, to gratify the lusts there of.

Owen's expresses the importance of Fathe
Ian Hammond
Seeing such a great mind engage the issue of sin and temptation is an unusual and remarkable thing. And Crossway's republication of these works is so helpful. It adds headings, provides outlines of each work and inserts footnotes that explain the meaning of archaic words.
Per
Probably the best and most life-changing book I've read, besides the Bible.
Bob Flores
Amazingly rich but very difficult to read for me. This version has actually even been simplified to a certain degree. The language of Owen's day is very different than ours. I even read a few other Puritans works to get into the rhythm of the way english was written back then, and Owens work was still difficult, but I did it! If not for that, I would have given it 5!
Tim
John Owen is an amazing writer. The skill with language that our Lord blessed him is truly astounding. Would that writers today could articulate the destructive nature of sin and the overwhelming power of grace that Owen can conjure up. Thank you Jesus for the Puritan writers of the 1600's.
Becky Hintz
Excellent book. Chester's "You Can Change" (which is also excellent) seems to have borrowed heavily from Owen's work. While Chester has made the material far more accessible, the determined reader will find a treasure trove of far greater depth in this old classic.
John Yelverton
A beautiful and important book from a man of God who wants to help the reader gird themselves against sin and temptation and taking both too lightly. It's very dry and written in a different era, but the intent of the author is brilliantly clear.
Ryan Wolfe
Book is challenging. I've read all of the "Indwelling Sin" book (last one in this three-book series), and a lot of the others. The material is sometimes dense, but Owen uses the Word of god to make some gripping and penetrating points.
Tina
Dec 18, 2014 Tina added it
Shelves: christian
I read this book along with TimChallies.com (fall of 2014). It reminds us to take an honest and sobering look at our sins. The book can be found for free at: http://www.johnowen.org/media/Overcom....
Josh
May 12, 2008 Josh marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Finished the first of the three books held in this volume, Of the Mortification of Sin. A most difficult read, full of insightful points that require reflection and a slower pace than most books allow for.
Adam Talbott
You have to work hard to understand Owen (trapped in academia, I suspect he didn't spend enough time in livingrooms explaining the Bible to human beings), but there is no better book on this subject.
Liesel
I read it for school, otherwise I probably wouldn't have. But, very interesting in understanding the Puritanical beliefs of the era.
Jason Farley
This is a really good version. The spelling modernization are helpful and the introductions are really good.
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Quest for Godliness
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • The Religious Affections
  • The Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • What Jesus Demands from the World
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • Systematic Theology
  • An Infinite Journey: Growing Toward Christlikeness
John Owen was an English theologian and "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)
More about John Owen...
The Mortification of Sin The Death of Death in the Death of Christ The Glory of Christ Communion with God The Holy Spirit

“Christians can be confident about their growth in sanctification and eternal security because they are confident in the God who promises it.” 3 likes
“Were our affections filled, taken up, and possessed with these things . . . what access could sin, with its painted pleasures, with its sugared poisons, with its envenomed baits, have unto our souls?” 1 likes