As I See It: The Autobiography of J. Paul Getty

As I See It: The Autobiography of J. Paul Getty

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  12 reviews
While writing his autobiography, Jean Paul Getty - then perhaps the world's richest man - hoped it would be the final verdict on himself, on his many friends and associates, and on his times. Regrettably, it proved to be so: Getty died in 1976 as As I See It was going to press.
Published June 26th 2003 by J. Paul Getty Museum (first published June 26th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about As I See It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As I See It

The Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Day of the Locust by Nathanael WestLess Than Zero by Bret Easton EllisWhite Oleander by Janet FitchTo Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben Peller
Los Angeles
174th out of 184 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Momin Khan
Self obsessed ode. Talking about celebrity fiends and the money he has spent on parties art etc. I remain a Rockerfeller man
Treasa
I love that Getty acknowledges both his victories and faults quite head on, and refuses to defame or embarrass ex-wives, girlfriends or the pursuits of fans of his fame and fortune. The book holds his dignity and opens up a passage to how he governed himself. He also (with the help of his editor) acknowledges who has helped him along the way. Very great find! Looking forward to reading the follow-up, The Joys of Collecting.
Greg
An interesting look into an 83-year-old J. Paul Getty's head. I don't know what more I was expecting from it than what was in it, but it just wasn't my favorite autobiography ever. That's no complaint against it, and anyone interested in learning more about Getty would be well-advised to read it. He certainly has a lot of wisdom and bald-faced opinions expressed in this work.
Karen
This is phenomenal reading for anyone interested in current economic-political quandry the world is in right now. He wrote this book in 1975, in a time when the economy was just coming out of a rut. He predicts much of how the government is acting now and discusses it's pitfalls. So far it's been a fascinating read and I'm about 2/3 of the way through.
Tbone
A good book with a unique perspective of a wealthy businessman who lived throughout the 1900's and all over the world. I think there are some secrets in this book that could help fix our economy today. Maybe the Democrats could read this soon. ..... doubt it though
Jim Grasley
Sep 05, 2010 Jim Grasley marked it as to-read
I bought this when we visited the Getty Villa (Museum) in Brentwood, California. Getty was a fascinating personality. Filthy rich to say the least. It is an autobiography that give the reader a glimpse of what his life was like.
Bill Forsyth
At one point presents a powerful but simple argument that economic equality is impossible. *That* will stick with me and has had a profound effect on my views of ethics and politics among other things.
Lucas Remmerswaal
I love this book, written about 12 months before his death, the words of a wise man. When you like this book you also like the Getty Centre in Los Angeles it's a must see if you like art galleries.
Krista
Jul 12, 2009 Krista added it
Picked this up at the Getty Villa yesterday. Just started it but great so far!
Morakinyo Beckley
Great book. Will recommend to big dreamers who have passion to achieve.
Mademoiselle Sandrine
If you like biography ......very interesting person.
Daniel
he knew how to make money
Luke Donoghue
Luke Donoghue marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Trilok
Trilok marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Matthew Jankowski
Matthew Jankowski marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Judi
Judi is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Vikram
Vikram marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Efe Misirli
Efe Misirli marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
lpa2
lpa2 marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Ilze Sweeney
Ilze Sweeney marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
How to Be Rich The Joys of Collecting How To Be Suc Exec My Life and Fortunes As I See it