Start by marking “As I See It: The Autobiography of J. Paul Getty” as Want to Read:
As I See It: The Autobiography of J. Paul Getty

As I See It: The Autobiography of J. Paul Getty

While writing his autobiography, Jean Paul Getty - then perhaps the world's richest man - hoped it would be the final verdict on himself, on his many friends and associates, and on his times. Regrettably, it proved to be so: Getty died in 1976 as As I See It was going to press.
Published June 26th 2003 by J. Paul Getty Museum (first published July 12th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about As I See It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As I See It

The Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerJohn Belushi Is Dead by Kathy CharlesLess Than Zero by Bret Easton EllisThe Day of the Locust by Nathanael WestTo Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben Peller
Los Angeles
198th out of 208 books — 190 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 22, 2015 Jenifer rated it it was ok
I became fascinated with J. Paul Getty when I visited the Getty museum in California on a girls' trip. (Five stars for the museum, by the way). I wanted to know more about how the art was acquired and what made a man like Getty donate it to the public for their education and enjoyment. I wanted to know more about how the museum was built. That part of the book, came late and was very short, but it turns out it was enough.

This was a decent memoir that seemed like it really was written by the auth
Aug 17, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is phenomenal reading for anyone interested in current economic-political quandry the world is in right now. He wrote this book in 1975, in a time when the economy was just coming out of a rut. He predicts much of how the government is acting now and discusses it's pitfalls. So far it's been a fascinating read and I'm about 2/3 of the way through.
Momin Khan
Dec 15, 2011 Momin Khan rated it did not like it
Self obsessed ode. Talking about celebrity fiends and the money he has spent on parties art etc. I remain a Rockerfeller man
Chloe Chong
Apr 18, 2016 Chloe Chong rated it really liked it
I have my personal fascination about Mr J.Paul Getty, which is why my comment on this book will certainly be biased. I am glad that he authored this autobiography just in time, i got to have a glimpse into his life, he thoughts and what really was about all those hypes and rumors.

I don't think we have man like this in this new age. People are different now, gentlemen of the old times are simply fascinating.

Apart from looking at his wealth, it's worth to take a good look at how much he had sacr
Jul 17, 2014 Treasa rated it really liked it
I love that Getty acknowledges both his victories and faults quite head on, and refuses to defame or embarrass ex-wives, girlfriends or the pursuits of fans of his fame and fortune. The book holds his dignity and opens up a passage to how he governed himself. He also (with the help of his editor) acknowledges who has helped him along the way. Very great find! Looking forward to reading the follow-up, The Joys of Collecting.
Paul Wedgwood
Dec 30, 2014 Paul Wedgwood rated it it was amazing
There are few opportunities in life to receive the unfiltered wisdom of a billionaire octogenarian, and even fewer where the focus is an open analysis of the authors sometimes catastrophic decisions. J Paul Getty is certainly not as warm as Felix Dennis, but his book is equally great at delivering new meaning with each re-read.
May 13, 2013 Greg rated it liked it
An interesting look into an 83-year-old J. Paul Getty's head. I don't know what more I was expecting from it than what was in it, but it just wasn't my favorite autobiography ever. That's no complaint against it, and anyone interested in learning more about Getty would be well-advised to read it. He certainly has a lot of wisdom and bald-faced opinions expressed in this work.
Bill Forsyth
Nov 17, 2009 Bill Forsyth rated it liked it
Shelves: business, biography
At one point presents a powerful but simple argument that economic equality is impossible. *That* will stick with me and has had a profound effect on my views of ethics and politics among other things.
Aug 12, 2010 Tbone rated it liked it
A good book with a unique perspective of a wealthy businessman who lived throughout the 1900's and all over the world. I think there are some secrets in this book that could help fix our economy today. Maybe the Democrats could read this soon. ..... doubt it though
Jim Grasley
Sep 05, 2010 Jim Grasley marked it as to-read
I bought this when we visited the Getty Villa (Museum) in Brentwood, California. Getty was a fascinating personality. Filthy rich to say the least. It is an autobiography that give the reader a glimpse of what his life was like.
Lucas Remmerswaal
Sep 05, 2011 Lucas Remmerswaal rated it liked it
I love this book, written about 12 months before his death, the words of a wise man. When you like this book you also like the Getty Centre in Los Angeles it's a must see if you like art galleries.
I thought J. Paul Getty was pretty cool and I liked how he made art available to the public and refused to use credit even as a millionaire and billionaire.
Wolf Martin
Wolf Martin rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2015
Michael Smith
Michael Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Julius rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Dex rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2015
Lipra Kino
Lipra Kino rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2012
Alexander rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2013
Daigoishikawa rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Melissa Schneider
Melissa Schneider rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Chuck Ursini
Chuck Ursini rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2014
Julie rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2008
Mark Melendez
Mark Melendez rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Giovanni Emmanuel
Giovanni Emmanuel rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Corey McCarthy
Corey McCarthy rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Jesse Thomas Do
Jesse Thomas Do rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Tcies rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Claudia rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • The Gnostic Jung and the Seven Sermons to the Dead
  • The Mustard Seed
  • Commentaries on Living 1
  • The Function of the Orgasm (Discovery of the Orgone #1)
  • Juiceman's Power of Juicing