Start by marking “The Everything Parent's Guide to Sensory Integration Disorder: Get the Right Diagnosis, Understand Treatments, and Advocate for Your Child” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
For kids living with Sensory Integration Disorder, the world can be a scary place, full of potentially stressful experiences. Kids with Sensory Integration Disorder can howl in discomfort over the feel of a shirt tag or a sock seam on bare skin. They may find the sound of a whisper to be as loud and frightening as a siren, and may perceive the caring touch of a parent or j ...more
Published December 18th 2008 by Adams Media Corporation (first published August 9th 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Everything Parent's Guide to Sensory Integration Disorder

Tania
3.5 stars. This is a brilliant book for anyone interested in understanding Sensory integration disorder. It tells you how to diagnose, discuss the senses per chapter, and explains how you can give your child support in different situations and at different ages. What I liked most about it, is that the explanations are so clear, so for the first time I understand why a child could be hyposensitive some days, and hypersensitive on other days.
Stephanie Burkhart
Ever wondered why your child covered their ears when you knew they didn't have an ear infection? Or wondered why they would spin around in circles for minutes on end? Or why they couldn't stand tags in their clothes when everything else seemed "normal?" This comprehensive book on sensory integration disorder offers explanations and ways for parents to recognize and manage SID in their children.

What I appreciated was how easy the book was to read. It broke down a tough to understand concept and
Tons of Ah-Ha moments for me regarding our sweet Samantha. She's getting evaluated and diagnosed this summer.
Carmen
Since Caleb has SID--this book helped me SO much understand more about him.
Leslie
Clearly written and concise. A welcome tool when dealing with SPD or other challenging and/or mysterious behaviours.

As a grandma, my generation had good or bad children and methods of 'correcting' behaviours was limited. This book has helped me reframe my understanding.
Coleen Cloete
If you have no background or information regarding the disorder, this is a great book to start with. If you have already read up on the disorer, have a child suffering with the disorder and does not stay in America the book looses some of the impact it is meant to have.

Granted it was written with the american market in mind, I miss having more specific / local reference to it.

Lynn
I just started reading, and have realized what a godsend this book is. My son has recently been diagnosed with SID/ADHD/NVLD and I can see that sensory issues exacerbate other conditions. I can't wait to get to the end so that I can share with my son's Occupational Therapist who I believe will be key in helping my son.
Wendy Friess
Great first book to get started understanding sensory integration disorders. This type of book gives info that's a mile wide but only an inch deep. Once you understand SID a bit I'm guessing you'd want to move on to a more specific book. Great little overview though.
Jamie
This was a good first read for getting a bigger picture about Sensory Integration/Sensory Processing Disorder. The particular concerns I have about my son were not addressed or mentioned, which fuels my need to keep researching.
Marcia Carr
I absolutely Loved this book! It gave me insight into my son in a way that no other book has been able to. A great book for all parents to read, but especially those that have a more "difficult" child. Highly Recommend!
Sherri
Good introduction to Sensory Disorder. Easy to read and not too technical. Also good to keep on hand for reference as your child grows.
Ashraf
Ashraf marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Shilo Spurlock
Shilo Spurlock is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2014
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Chrissie Carter
Chrissie Carter marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Tracey Clark
Tracey Clark is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Nathan Fields
Nathan Fields marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Rachel Maize
Rachel Maize is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Everything Parent's Guide to Sensory Processing Disorder: The Information and Treatment Options You Need to Help Your Child with SPD 50 Ways to Support Your Child's Special Education: From IEPs to Assorted Therapies, an Empowering Guide to Taking Action, Every Day

“When adults interpret sensory integration problems as deliberate behavioral choices, things can spiral out of control quickly. If a child legitimately cannot find a way within his neurological capabilities to do something a parent or teacher is insisting on — and lacks any sort of useful vocabulary for explaining why he can't — there is very little option but to explode in fear and frustration. Understanding that a child is trying his best and needs help to overcome challenges is an important first step in helping kids with sensory integration disorder.” 0 likes