Start by marking “Appetites” as Want to Read:
Appetites

Appetites

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Appetites Geneen Roth

Explore What You Are Truly Hungry For - Within every person, there is a longing that no amount of food, no career accomplishment, no possession can ever fill. For this is a longing of the spirit. On Appetites, Geneen Roth looks beyond her 15 years of pioneering work with women, food, and body image, to ask: What truly nourishes the human spirit? Throu

Published October 28th 1998 by DIANE Publishing Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Appetites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Appetites

warmdesertwinds
I first heard of Geneen after her bestseller "Women, Food, and God" hit the front shelves of bookstores everywhere. The title intrigued me. Did some women approach eating as a form of spirituality? Could food be as highly regarded as religion? The mediocre reviews for the book however drove me away. Instead I looked at the other books the Geneen has written. The selection on the shelves were overwhelming. I randomly decided on Appetites. Seemed the least focused on actual dieting and the most fo ...more
Fadzai
I struggled initially with this book as I was expecting more of a prescriptive 'how to' approach, when what the author does is position it as more a discussion based on her own experiences and insights from other people.

However, I got into it and came to understand the style she adopted - because the book is about life lessons pertaining to women and their relationships with food, their bodies and their emotions, it is impossible and undesirable to have a one-size-fits-all approach. There are i
Von
Similar to her other book that I read (Women, Food, and God), I found her writing style and interpretations to be a bit loose. And I simply can't relate to how many women place so much emphasis on their physical appearance. However, her wisdom about how most of us want to hold on to an idea of what we thought we wanted in life rather than yielding and finding the joy in what our life is already giving us is profound. I wrote down several lines of her book in a journal for my reflection at a late ...more
Rachel
I think I had extremely high expectations for this book. Maybe I should start with Roth's earlier books? This one was not only a little too New-Agey for me, but it didn't seem to have much of a focus. There were some good points made, and I enjoyed reading about her overall triumphs to get published, find love, accept herself, etc., but this was more of a memoir than an actual self-help book. I've avoided the self-help genre for the most part, but I thought this would be a good one to read. Eh, ...more
Teryll
Geneen Roth has the gift of accessing feelings and emotions we have all felt or experienced as it related to our appetite for life, nourishment and happiness. Her words are encouragining at any stage of the game and her ability to join together all of our experiences as women is a treasure. I look forward to reading more of her work.
Meisha
Mostly a review of the author's illness journey to discover the cause of illness and fix the problem, mixed in with personal anecdotes. Parts were very insightful, but had to go through much personal broadcasting to get to the insights.
Indu
It is intended to be a book about some empowering realizations on our self defeating mind-body weight drama. It achieves the purpose well in some places. In too many others it was a scattered memoir where Geneen Roth dips into her life problems to make a very roundabout kind of point.

Most of the chapters start at some point of her life and go into a rambling of personal troubles with food and otherwise- which were too much like reading a journal. I didn't appreciate that at least half the book
Jess
Both the similarities and differences between my experiences/struggles and the author's were interesting. Some great reminders of how we limit ourselves and how we can try to let go of those limits.
Vicki
Not her best work. I am an admirer of much of her work, especially the earlier work around food and emotions. This book, however, is a series of essays, most of which I found redundant and simplistic. There is a tendency to write in sweeping generalizations, assuming all experiences are similar to hers. So I found a few helpful gems but ended up skimming most of the book.
Leena
Not one of Geneen's best books. I understand what she is trying to do here - tell her story and draw lessons the reader can relate to - but when it is all about her, her, and her, it comes across just a bit narcissistic and whiny. Some good bits, like the story of her huge cat Blanche, but otherwise mediocre and forgettable.
Julie M
Great insights on feeling like you don't have enough, or aren't enough, or cannot get enough. Reminder to slow down, savor, eat, communicate and live in the present! Gentle guidance for over eaters/unconsious or stress eating, with strong implication for other facets of women's lives. I found this book reassuring and helpful during a difficult time.
Laila
Oct 22, 2007 Laila rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people will food/ body image issues
I didn't read every word of this book, but I feel that I got something valuable from it. This is mostly a personal story about Roth's continuing struggle with self-worth and body image. If you have issues like that, you might want to give this book a try, if for nothing else than the feeling of companionship.
Rosemary
I always want more from her books. I feel like she says so much without really saying much. I guess I am frustrated with her writing style and maybe I miss out on content in the process. My favorite line... one of the last of the book: "you are the feast." I'd like a book about that!
Lisa Greer
I love Geneen's writing, but again, for people struggling with eating disorders and addiction issues, it does very little good. In fact, her claim that emotions lead to eating is false. It's the other way around for most people I've talked to.
Kaye
This book chronicles Geneen Roth's continuing struggles with body image, but the tone of the book is overall positive. This work is more biographical and less prescriptive than her other works, but still worth the read if you are a fan.
Susan
This is one of those books that one needs to read more than once. And the second time, I hazard a guess I'll get different things from it than the first. I'll add to my review then ... but I loved this book.
Chavonne
Dec 09, 2012 Chavonne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is working on recovery
When one learns to stop eating emotionally, feelings are INTENSE. This book is a great reminder that life will not begin when thinness or any goal is achieved--it must begin now. A phenomenal book.
Nancy
I love Geneen's books. She writes about herself, her work, and her students. But she really should try to write fiction. She's hilarious, poignant, philosophical, and so full of wisdom.
Lisa
read this years ago, it changed me. i was already changing and this book happened to find me at the right time. they always do, don't they?
Monika
Geneen Roth writes from a personal perspective ... easy reading, but chock full of insights.
Lisa
I liked this book better than Women, Food and God. Less hokey. Fave quote: "You are the feast."
Debby
Always loving Geneen!
Barbara
Just read this one. Intense, but thought provoking.
Talia
Talia marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
  • Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession With Food
  • Watching the Tree
  • The Body Reset Diet
  • The Magician's Wife
  • Bible Code II: The Countdown
  • Insight: Case Files from the Psychic World
  • The Five Things We Cannot Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them
  • The Power of Kindness: The Unexpected Benefits of Leading a Compassionate Life
  • The Cure for Everything: Untangling Twisted Messages about Health, Fitness, and Happiness
  • We Had It So Good
  • Girl Coming in for a Landing
  • Unworthy: How to Stop Hating Yourself
  • The Coconut Oil Miracle
  • Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works
Geneen Roth's pioneering books were among the first to link compulsive eating and perpetual dieting with deeply personal and spiritual issues that go far beyond food, weight and body image. She believes that we eat the way we live, and that our relationship to food, money, love is an exact reflection of our deepest held beliefs about ourselves and the amount of joy, abundance, pain, scarcity, we b ...more
More about Geneen Roth...
Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations About Food and Money When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy {When You Feel Anything But} Breaking Free from Emotional Eating