Start by marking “Triumph of the Darksword” as Want to Read:
Triumph of the Darksword

Triumph of the Darksword (The Darksword #3)

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  4,631 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman Joram and his wife, Gwendolyn, return from beyond the Border to reclaim their rightful place in Merilon. Rejoined by Saryon, Mosiah and Simkin, Joram must confront the evil sorcerer, Menju, and his army of Technologists in a final apocalyptic battle to fulfill the ancient prophecy of the Darksword--to either save the world.
Published July 21st 2010 by Spectra (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Triumph of the Darksword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triumph of the Darksword

Sara Forsberg
Jul 06, 2011 Sara Forsberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the final book! The sudden but hinted-at crossover between fantasy and science fiction was intriguing, and the characters came together in a way that I wasn't at all expecting, which is always nice in fantasy, which can sometimes suffer from being a bit too predictable. I thought the ending was a bit rushed, I wouldn't have minded another book between the start of the conflict and the end scene, but as I knew there was a sequel coming, it didn't bother me as much as it may have had. Great ...more
 ☆Ruth☆
Jul 01, 2015 ☆Ruth☆ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This excellent trilogy held my interest from beginning to end. I would recommend reading the books in sequence as it is an ongoing epic, but Margaret Weis is a skilful enough writer to allow the reader to enjoy each of the books separately.
There is also an additional book 'Legacy of the Darksword' which deals with the aftermath of the main story, and which I intend to read next.
I have no hesitation in recommending this series to lovers of swords & sorcery fantasy.
Angie
Mar 22, 2011 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought this was a great ending to this trilogy! It went from two books of fantasy to a book that was sci fi/fantasy. I was thrilled by the ending. I hear 10 years later a book 4 was written though. Not sure if I want to check it out or just be happy with the original ending. I hate when authors do that!

Callandor
Not too bad, ends the series, but leaves a lot of questions hanging..

which is resolved by the standalone book which I am currently reading.
George
Aug 29, 2010 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite trilogy when I was in High School. I've been meaning to re-read it and see if it was as awesome as I remember.
Doris Pearson
May 23, 2008 Doris Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE 3RD BOOK WAS HARDER TO READ.. DUE TO DEATH AND CHAOS.. NOT SURE i'M HAPPY WITH THE ENDING.. POOR SIMKIN.
David Sarkies
Feb 07, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The boiling conclusion to another trilogy
7 February 2012

I have noticed that for a lot of these older books that I have read (older referring to an earlier time in my life as opposed to the books being written a long time ago) I seem to open the comment with 'my friend gave it to me and said that it was good.' Okay, with books like this one I should say that he gave me the first in a trilogy, or series, and told me that the series is really good. What I find annoying though is that when I hand t
David James
Dec 18, 2013 David James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this trilogy in
High school at a time when I had little interest in fantasy ( read either classic literature or horror)
I found the trilogy absoloutly enrapturing but was sadly forced to give it back to the friend that loaned it to me.
Years later when I started reading heavily again I started searching for this trilogy again but it was sadly out of print and unobtainable. Recently I was able to find a complete set at a used book store along with a sequel book I never knew about. I have n
Todd
Aug 02, 2011 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume III of the Darksword Trilogy

Joram has come back from the Border and with him he has broken the magical barrier that protected this magical world. And with him has come another outcast with a grudge. Menja is another person outcast to the Border who has been looking for a way to get back to the source of magic, and Joram made this possible.

This is a story of the prodical son coming home to exact his revenge, and in time finds out his has been betrayed on the "other side" as well. And thus
Rhapsody
Jul 10, 2008 Rhapsody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This was the volume where the most (maybe only) mingling of sci-fi and fantasy took place. At the time, I felt kind of resentful. Now I guess I'm mature enough to figure, "Heh, if I can suspend my disbelief for the magic, I guess I can do the same for the spaceships." Well, technically, it was the combination of the two that killed me, but I am trying to be an adult about it! The book was really OK, and I liked the tone of the end. There was a nice and rather interesting love story, and the prot ...more
LeAlan
Feb 12, 2008 LeAlan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had not been able to find this book anywhere and happened upon it in a used paperback book store. I loved the first two books and was really looking forward to the conclusion of this trilogy. I donno what the authors were thinking but this went from a great fantasy series to a what the heck is going on? Imagine your reading a classic tale about King Arthur and he is at the point where he forms the Knights of the Round table and all of a sudden laser beams from spaceships start raining down on ...more
Roy Tang
I read the first two books of this trilogy back in high school, and I recently decided to get a used copy from Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to dive into the third book without having to re-read the first two, with a general recollection of the events from the first book still intact. I found it a bit heavy-handed with the prose, as the writers spend a couple of paragraphs in each scene for each character to ponder in self-doubt, fear or despair. I forget if that's something ...more
Shannon
Mar 02, 2013 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I read a long time ago. I had read the second first (I hadn't noticed it said it was the second, and on top of that I hadn't hunted down the other two), then the first, and was pleased. I looked forward to seeing how the third would take this world I'd become fond of and make things come to a satisfying conclusion.

Then I read it. The sudden genre-shift felt like it came out of nowhere, making it difficult at best to enjoy the rest of the book with the exception of Simkin's antics.
David
Jim
This was the second complete trilogy we read by this author. It's a downer - almost Thomas Covenant depressing - but I remember liking it quite a bit. Like Tom the Leper, I never wanted to read it again, although I still have it around just in case.

As I recall, this wrapped it up well. I believe they wrote further books in the series, but I never had the urge to read them. This is where to stop, IMO.
Anthony Pacheco
I just could not get into the dramatic plot change. I was looking for a love story focus to go along with a fresh and original world-building and what I got was... spaceships and guys in armor disappearing in fairy-rings, etc.

I was disappointed and was expecting more of what made the fist book so enticing.
Nicola
Apr 24, 2016 Nicola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's possible that I didn't really understand the ending because I was so bored. I didn't like the main 'hero' Joram, he was dull and unpleasant. I remember these books as being extremely depressing.
Zéro Janvier
Dans ce troisième volume du cycle "La légende de l'épée noire", Joram, l'orphelin du précédent épisode, va réaliser la terrible prophétie. C'est, à mes yeux, le meilleur roman de la série, sans doute parce que c'est le plus sombre, le plus désespéré.
Adam Duclos
Feb 10, 2016 Adam Duclos rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in a three part series, a series I did not like. The authors tried to make this series into a roleplaying game, and the writing suffered in the attempt to gear it towards a rules system. Also, the rules of the roleplaying game were terrible.
Elar
Oct 06, 2014 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
It started off as best of the books in the series - combining fantasy with sci.fi. Still had same problems as first book in series and somewhat also second: sotryline was very jumpy and author just wants to glide over some issues which should be explained.
Sven Mysterioso
Okayyyy, well we have just lost cabin pressure.

I will give the Weislance some credit. She wrote this 20 years before the Village, so its not a derivative work!

Who knew the end of the world would look like this!
Ned Johnson
May 15, 2007 Ned Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend told me to read this specifically for the future vs wizards nonsense.

This book delivers.
Jason
Feb 24, 2013 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-long-ago
More Margaret Weis that I could not get enough of as a teenager. The Darksword trilogy was great filler in between the many Dragonlance novels. These are the perfect young adult fantasy reads.
Richard
Easy and enjoyable. You begin, you finish, then you're like, where did the time go?
Karen
May 25, 2011 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first 2 were great but this one fails to live up to their potential. Read the first 2 and then imagine your own ending!
Yahanan Xie
Sep 12, 2014 Yahanan Xie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
I like the ending… but it could have been more overall.
Malee Ann
Oct 10, 2011 Malee Ann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Buy
Jesse Powell
I really didn't like how it ended.
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Dragonlance Campaign Setting Companion: Legends Of The Twins (Dragonlance)
  • Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)
  • The Dragon King (Crimson Shadow, #3)
  • Pool of Radiance (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #1)
  • Ice Dragon (Dragonrealm, #2)
  • The Obsidian Oracle (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad #4)
  • The Wyvern's Spur (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #2)
  • The Fourth Book of Lost Swords: Farslayer's Story (Lost Swords, #4)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Faragon Fairingay (Circle of Light, #2)
  • Vinas Solamnus (Dragonlance: Lost Legends, #1)
  • Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

The Darksword (4 books)
  • Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)
  • Doom of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #2)
  • Legacy of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #4)