Start by marking “The Deception” as Want to Read:
The Deception

The Deception

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Set in Regency England, this is the story of Adrian, Earl of Greystone, who is tricked into marrying Kate by her scheming uncle, an old enemy of his.

Gentle Reader,

Let me say straight off, it was not my idea to trap England's greatest hero and most eligible bachelor, the Earl of Greystone, into marrying me. My uncle, Lord Charlwood, was the moving force behind that little p
Published December 2nd 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deception

Spellbound by Nora RobertsPossession by A.S. ByattFallen by Lauren KateThe Fallen by Celia ThomsonBlindsight by Robin Cook
Overworked Titles
162nd out of 339 books — 21 voters
The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia QuinnTempt Me at Twilight by Lisa KleypasNine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLeanSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasDreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
Compromised! (Historical Romance)
56th out of 176 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

This was a re-read for me - I've read most of Joan Wolf's backlist way back when, and took the chance to get the e-version when she released most of her backlist in digital format.

There are dated tropes galore (the forced marriage, the Big Misunderstanding, the sinister uncle, the feisty heroine), but you know what? This was as much fun as I remembered.

Unusually for a historical romance, this has a first-person POV which I appreciated - I liked the horse-mad Kate very much, and enjoyed seeing A
I really love Joan Wolf Regency romances (her historical fiction is good, too). I compare her Regency romances to champagne. They are light, fizzy, and enjoyable. The plots are well-crafted. The time period is drawn accurately and is well described. The hero and heroine both are three dimensional characters, complete with flaws. And if the heroine is often a little forward-thinking for the time period, well, that works for me.
"The Deception" is no exception. Kate is an appealing (and modern) he
Devz Milady
A nice story, good plot and a charming hero.
What is missing is a spunky heroine of the like Joan portrayed in The Pretenders.

Kate is not too bad, but she is very like the usual dumb 'I-am-so-stupid-I-run-off-to-dark-places-to-meet-strangers-based-on-anonymous-notes' person.
As a person whose literary diet is mostly filled with romance novels, I cant tell you how weary and irritated it makes me to find yet another stupid girl with more looks than brains.

Not that Kate is very bad.She has her moment
Cappacino Assasin
I have read this book tons of times and it never gets boring. Never.

This was one of the first Joan Wolf books I read and has become the standard marker against which I measure her other books. Even in modern stories, it is extremely difficult to find a character who is so funny, sassy and just amazing! I was laughing so hard like a madwoman at midnight, probably frightening my family!

It was not only Kate. This story is one of the best moulded narratives of the author. There is actually a sensibl
Ana T.
I like books written in the first person, it's easier to feel some empathy towards the main character but at the same time the fact that you know them better doesn't mean that are easier to like. I did like the premise of this book very much, it is a murder mystery combined with a forced marriage plot and the characters seemed decent enough to make the story work.

The main character is Kate. A young girl of 18, recently orphaned who goes to live with her uncle. She suspects her father has been mu
If you don't know anything about equitation you can find out about it here. There is also a mystery with an unsatisfactory ending. Between the mystery and the madness and, more importantly the first person narrative, characterization, except for the narrator whom we get to know too well, necessarily takes a secondary role. The hero is heroic, the mad are crazy etc. It is a thoroughly written good read, even if the heroine's life is seriously endangered more times than seems reasonable.
It was interesting to read a title written in the first person. Allowed to really understand the character from that perspective. Loved the story...felt Adrian was still a stranger at the end of the novel but then we were told about it from Lady Greystone's standpoint. Didn't care for the end which was a bit fuzzy with time and pregnancy status but a good read historical novel nonetheless. A bit of confusion with the use of the term 'cab' in that period.
Wolf, Joan - standalone

Tricked by her scheming uncle, a longtime enemy, into marrying Kate, Adrian, Earl of Greystone, sails across the English Channel, leaving his new wife behind to avenge her father's death, only to realize that he is charmed by his accomplished but unwanted bride.

Joan Wold is a very good writer. The protagonist was a bit slow off the mark, but I could forgive her that. The story is well done. It has a bit of a Gothic touch but, in general, it was just very
There was a sparkling depth to Kate and Adrian, and though their marriage did not start on the best terms and though they faced quite a few obstacles on their way to happily ever after, they both faced adversity with this inexplicable quality that really drew me into their story. I liked this one :) Deff a fun read!
As much as it pains me to agree, this is not Wolf at her first person best. So many misunderstandings ... the whole live apart with the servants ... jealousy of the brother. It was not her finest Regency moment.
This is marketed as a Regency mystery, but it's really a romance with a mystery laid overtop.

It was fun, and I liked the characters, but it wasn't OMGAWESOME.
Miranda Conley
Love all of her books. Best sexy Regency Romances. You have to find them used since they're out of print, in libraries or buy online.
Sally Witt
The history was interesting, and the characters were great. I could predict a few major plot twists, so that distracted me.
Sep 11, 2010 Vikki added it
Shelves: keeper, readin2010
Joan Wolf is one of my favorite authors. I have had this book for years and I still enjoy reading it over and over.
read the one by Barry Reed.
Kimberly Jean
a must read novel
Reet marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
ClassicMaiden marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Courtney Fyan
Courtney Fyan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Crystal Holmbeck
Crystal Holmbeck marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • Midnight Masquerade (Louisiana #6)
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • The Silver Rose
  • Fair is the Rose
  • Just One Kiss
  • Dearly Beloved
  • Dangerous to Kiss (Dangerous, #2)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Danse de la Folie
  • Golden Fancy
  • Trouble in a Pinstripe Suit
  • The Famous Heroine (Stapleton-Downes, #5)
  • The Innocent
  • Bride of the Wind
  • Thief of Hearts
  • A Taste of Paradise
  • White fire
Joan Wolf is a USA TODAY bestselling American writer, whose acclaimed Regency romances have earned her national recognition as a master of the genre. Her many historical and contemporary romances, some of which have been chosen as Literary Guild selections, have been highly praised by reviewers and authors alike.

Joan was born in 1951 and she grew up in the Bronx, New York. A former English teacher
More about Joan Wolf...
The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1) A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther Daughter of the Red Deer (Reindeer Hunters, #1) The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3) His Lordship's Mistress