Start by marking “The Gamble” as Want to Read:
The Gamble

The Gamble

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Georgiana Newbury and her sister Anna are left penniless by the sudden death of their father -- a criminal who blackmailed five men for cheating at cards (or on their wives). The only way she can now survive, and save her sister, is to gamble herself on the risky prospect of marriage.

Using her father's blackmail files she compels Lord Winterdale to present her during the
Published May 1st 1998 by Warner Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about The Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gamble

Sandra
Ugh it was a struggle deciding between a 2 or 3 star, but since I finished it I'll give it 3. After thinking about it, this is definitely a 2 star, it's not on level with other books I've given 3 stars.

This book felt like three standard romance themes smushed into one...blackmailing someone for a London season (and then falling in love), marrying to protect a woman's reputation (and then falling in love), and a mystery to figure out who is trying to kill our main character (and falling in love).
Greymalkin
Calli0pe
The guardian/ward trope has been done before and much better than here (by Georgette Heyer, for one). I don't believe that suspense/intrigue is Joan Wolf's forte, either. I really didn't care "who dun it" in the Guardian; the suspense element was fairly non-existent.
What is truly enjoyable is the first person narrative, written from the point of view of intelligent, entertaining and engaging Georgie.
I felt that the character of Philip is not as well developed as heroes in other Wolf's novels I
Gayle
Nov 01, 2011 Gayle added it
Georgianna cares for her sister who has a brain injury. Her father dies leaving them penniless. While going through his papers she discovers he blackmailed several members of the nobility. Desperate to care for her sister she travels to London to blackmail an Earl to launch her along with his niece in the marriage mart. Georgianna discovers a perfect man in a unexpected way.
Tami
Starting to like a few types of romance novels. GASP! This one was enjoyable. Predictable, yes. But that makes for a comfort read for me.
Rose Lerner
This book made a HUGE impression on me in high school. I had a blast re-reading it, and Philip was just as dreamy as I remembered.
Tressa
I liked the story, but I didn't fall in love with the characters.
Faye
A fun, light read.
Lynn Calvin
ereader ebook
Yeni
This was the FIRST Romance novel I ever bought for myself, in Powerbooks Pasay Road. I will never forget this one. I think I've read it thrice or something. On hindsight, it wasn't THAT great, but memorable all the same. I liked the leading lady's character =)
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Be Fisher
Be Fisher marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Spring
Spring added it
May 07, 2015
Cindy Warner
Cindy Warner marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • The Devil's Delilah (Regency Noblemen, #2)
  • Carnevale
  • For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1)
  • Vixen (V, #3)
  • Promise Me Heaven (Royal Agents #1)
  • As an Earl Desires (Lost Lords, #1)
  • Innocence Undone (Kingsland #1)
  • Shady Lady (Men from Special Branch #5)
  • Never Dare a Duke (Sons of Scandal, #2)
  • Lady Sparrow
  • Blue Fire
  • Lord of Scandal
  • The Charmer (Seducers #3)
  • Fountain of Secrets (Akora, #5)
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • One Night Of Scandal (Fairleigh Sisters, #2)
Joan Wolf is a USA TODAY bestselling American writer, whose acclaimed Regency romances have earned her national recognition as a master of the genre. Her many historical and contemporary romances, some of which have been chosen as Literary Guild selections, have been highly praised by reviewers and authors alike.

Joan was born in 1951 and she grew up in the Bronx, New York. A former English teacher
More about Joan Wolf...
The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1) A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther Daughter of the Red Deer (Reindeer Hunters, #1) The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3) His Lordship's Mistress