Start by marking “How Loathsome” as Want to Read:
How Loathsome

How Loathsome

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The new series by the artist of Gloom Cookie and Courtney Crumrin! Do the town with gender outlaw Catherine Gore and her disreputable friends. It's Friday night and Catherine is dragged to an S&M play party to see what passes for sex these days. There, the beautiful, enigmatic fem fatale Chloe takes Catherine by surprise. Chloe is a girl with a secret. Catherine is int ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Nantier Beall Minoustchine Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How Loathsome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Loathsome

Peter
How Loathsome is... a graphic novel variation on Jesus' Son if the main character had been Trans-gendered. Several short stories culminate in a deflated climax where no characters change. The simply become more resolute in destroying them selves (I don't care what you do in the bed room or what gender you call yourself... more power to you. But cocaine and heroine are still cocaine and heroine: not the answer just a problem). I'm not sure if the book is trying to link the two practices together ...more
Adrienne
I read this in an hour while sitting on my friend's couch immediately before our book group meeting, and that was a while ago - not to mention the day after a big long kung fu test, so I was, overall, pretty exhausted as well. Grain of salt?

I wasn't a big fan of the graphic novel, but I didn't hate it either. The story revolves around a disjointed group of gender-queer people in San Francisco, who attend S/M parties, do lots of drugs and drink lots of alcohol, and sleep around. That is to say: i
lesleymac
I wanted to like this so much more than I did. I can't blame this book for the fact that there's not really a market for books with relatively normal transfolks. But one more book saying trans = decadent, shocking, dirty..? It seems to perpetuate a lot of stereotypes...
Ladyiconoclast
This book reminds me what comics are for. This story, in this medium, is perfect and beautiful. If you've ever been queer, gender non-conforming, kinky and/or on drugs in San Francisco, you will see parts of your experience in this story.
Edward Nichols
Definitely in my top 5 graphic novels now. Loved it. Refreshingly honest and articulate which is especially commendable when dealing with the tricky subject of gender identity. Loved the illustrations as well.
Kristen
This graphic novel was a little too "adult" for me and lacked a bit in the plot line. The graphics were fantastic though and I did enjoy it a bit.

Devowasright
one of the most perfectly written graphic novels i've ever read.
Valerie
A new friend passed this off to me at a party and I sat in the corner and read it like the nerd that I am. It was so glorious though! I especially like the monk story.
johnny
A baffling and shallow piece on 'edgy' sexual counterculture. I bought it because I love Naifeh's art, but the writing is putrid, and, yeah, loathsome. The characters are caricatures going through pointless plots that only exist to show their content-- pseudo incest, strap-ons, and a trans woman talking to herself in the mirror (how original!). I nabbed this on a deal years back because I loved the Courtney Crumrin books and wanted to see how Naifeh's art deal with more adult subjects, but I cou ...more
Lilah
Peels back a layer of the various goth/queer/fetish subcultures in San Francisco, a wander through different lives anchored by an internal monologue rather than a set story - the observations ring true, but more out of familiarity rather than anything truly groundbreaking. If you've read Danielle Willis, you've been here before - this time, with artwork, which is grim and lovely and perfectly suited to the narrative. It's far too rare that when seedy underworlds get visuals, the people stay real ...more
Anthony
My library is kinda weird when it comes to GNs. Take this book about transgendered druggies living in modern America. Not exactly a book for the masses. However, it's extremely well written and it rises above it's fashionably deviant pitch. There are echoes in this narrative. Echoes of loneliness in Laramie. Echoes of late nights at Club Retro. And the chick-dude who looks like Neil Gaiman reminds me of both Criag and Georgette. As if they were merged into a perfect creature.

And since I never sa
Olivia
I wanted to enjoy a story about a dyke who is into a trans woman, but her perspective on that attraction is uncomfortably fetishizing. When she's rebuffed, she decides to out woman. Five stars for the subject matters and a turkey for the way they were handled.
Thomas
I know Tristan, so I am obviously biased, but that doesn't change the fact that this is an amazing gorgeous slice of San Francisco life. Reading it feels exactly like cruising SF drag bars and goth clubs on drugs; you can smell the piss and smoke and puke and the BO of the weird sweaty B&T wannabes. Captures the feel of a world with stirring precision.

Completely absolutely effing mind-blowing in concept and execution.
Robert
I really should have read this transgender-themed graphic novel a long time ago. Like Howard Cruse's Stuck Rubber Baby and Alison Bechdel's Fun Home, it's simply a Must Read for students and fans of GLBT comics. The art by Ted Naifeh is fabulous and Tristan Crane's damaged but undaunted characters are beautifully realized, haunted and haunting. An excellent book all around, virtually begging for future rereads.
Lisa
This was an excellent book. The artwork was masterfully done, and I wish that I had more time to spend with each of the characters. There were some over the top moments, and I wasn't as interested in the drug scene, but the work certainly met my expectations. I thought it did a great job exploring social identity, gender issues, and sexuality.
Marcus K
Surprisingly good tale of genderqueer junkies running amok in San Francisco. The author uses a lot of actual photographs as backgrounds for the artwork, giving it all a much more true to life feel. Not high fiction or anything, but still a fun (not to mention sexy) read. And they have it at the Oakland library. What more could you ask for?
Edward
An honest look at a underrepresented group with great art. I especially enjoyed the comics within the comic written by the main character. Definitely for mature audiences only and going in the library's regular collection instead of the teen area.
Sarah Jane Thomas
I liked it. I probably wouldn't be for everyone I know - not a "fun" read. But well done. Focuses on a group not always well represented - usually to little or too sensationalized. But this was, as far as I know, more true to life.
ONTD Feminism
Lj user owl_eyes_4ever says, "The graphic novel How Loathsome focuses primarily on two trans women. I haven't read this since, like... high school, so again I can't recall all the details but it really stuck with me."
Cyn Coons
This really struck a chord with me, and my time in goth clubs where sexuality was pretty fluid, and the most you could hope for was finding someone who was as filled with misanthropy as you were.
Elizabeth
I read How Loathsome before I really had a good vocabulary for the boundaries of gender that it explores. As a result, I didn't really know what to say about it then - or now.
faelinwolf
I love the blurred gender lines in this graphic novel. I love that sex and drugs are a casual, every day occurence. I love that transgender issues have a place here. I love it!
Desiree
Interesting little book. I did find it a little confusing and it ended too soon. It's great to see transgendered issues covered in graphic novel form!
Caty
Ted Naifeh belatedly discovers the existence of drugs and trans* people, runs out and tells us all about it. Gorgeously illustrated, though.
SAM
A beautiful graphic novel about a queer underground in San Francisco, dark and companionable
A.F. Henley
Loved it. The switch from life to fantasy was a cool concept and the characters were brilliant.
Kellie
Set in genderqueer San Francisco, beautifully drawn with an engaging storyline and characters.
Meghan
Jun 03, 2008 Meghan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: indie comics fans
A graphic novel by one of my favorite artists, Ted Naifeh.
Ken
Beautiful artwork. Honestly can't remember the story at this point.
Holly Interlandi
Definitely pushes boundaries, but strangely vapid otherwise.
  • No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics
  • The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8
  • My Dirty Dumb Eyes
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville #3)
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec: Pterror Over Paris / The Eiffel Tower Demon
  • NonNonBa
  • Hot, Throbbing Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #7)
  • Unterzakhn
  • Wet Moon, Volume 1: Feeble Wanderings (Wet Moon)
  • Special Exits
  • Jokes and the Unconscious: A Graphic Novel
  • Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl
  • Fairy Tales
  • Lola
  • Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
  • The Wrong Place
  • Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!
  • Anything That Loves
Ted Naifeh is an American comic book writer and artist who gained notoriety for his illustrations in the goth romance comic Gloomcookie. Naifeh has since become most known as the creator of the Eisner-Award-nominated series Courtney Crumrin, published by Oni Press.
More about Ted Naifeh...
Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (Courtney Crumrin, #1) Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2) Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3) Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1) Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)