Start by marking “Yes Man” as Want to Read:
Yes Man

Yes Man

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  7,281 Ratings  ·  636 Reviews
Recently single, Danny Wallace was falling into loneliness and isolation. When a stranger on a bus advises, "Say yes more," Wallace vows to say yes to every offer, invitation, challenge, and chance.

In Yes Man, Wallace recounts his months-long commitment to complete openness with profound insight and humbling honesty. Saying yes takes Wallace into a new plane of existence:
Published June 6th 2006 by Gallery Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Yes Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes Man

Jess
Jan 20, 2009 Jess rated it it was amazing
I am a bit saddened by all the appalling reviews that the movie Yes Man has been getting. I mean, I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Jim Carrey was going to play the lead role... and that it was going to be set in America instead of Britain... and that they'd essentially written a whole new story... but, well, I wasn't really paying much attention at the time, so I remained optimistic.

But since it's come out, from what I hear it's more or less Liar, Liar reworked, and that's kind of depr
Shannon
Jan 03, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: lulz
I maintain that Danny Wallace is a silly bitch. His antics are awesome to read about, but I get the impression if I was a friend of his I'd be like YOU SPAZ, or.. since I'd be British.. YOU WANKER.

This is as funny as the movie (which is hilaaaiours) but in a more Britishy way. This book won't really, I don't think, change most people's lives, as one of the cover review claims- but it will amuse you. Greatly.

Though a few times I genuinely was disturbed by the lack of intelligence shown by Mr.Wal
Sara
Sep 04, 2007 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: laughing people
THIS BOOK WAS GREAT. I loved it. Danny is funny, quick witted and VERY British.

He runs into someone on a bus who tells him he should "say yes more" after being in a bit of a rut. He decides to take this guy literally which leads him into a lot of scrapes and awkward situations which allow us to laugh quiet a bit.

it would never work unless you had the type of job he does where he can come and go as he pleases...but the message is a great one. Put yourself out there.

good find. i love Powell's.
Rebecca
Dec 15, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Abby Hansen
I will not recommend this book to anyone. You’ll have to discover it on your own. I don’t even know why I read it. (Except that my Goodreads friend, Abby, had it on her list and really liked it.) Something pushed me towards it. Without even thinking, I got on Amazon and bought a used copy. Going against my better judgment, I said “Yes” to this book.

This book is not what it appears to be. It appears to be a British humour (don’t get me wrong, I like British humour) (with a “u”), The Year of Livin
Maggie Campbell
Aug 31, 2008 Maggie Campbell rated it it was amazing
"'But the happiest people are the ones who understand that good things occur when one allows them to.'"

"I was on the verge of something. But sometimes to look forward, you have to look back."

"...Before I'd thought of those as self-contained little moments. I'd never really considered that they might be beginnings, that they might lead somewhere, that they might be for the best."

"The closed mind is a disease. You need to have an open mind; otherwise life will just pass you by."

"He was someone who
Michael Battye
Jul 22, 2014 Michael Battye rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying, this book is nothing like the movie - thank goodness. Secondly, I need to confess that I agreed to read this book because I am a bit of a stick in the mud about the whole 'yes to new experiences' rhetoric. While I am definitely up for new experiences, I am already bargaining with myself over finite resources of time and energy to spend on things that I know I want to do already! The prospect of having those resources wasted by someone else's whims makes me feel a little i ...more
Teresa
Jul 02, 2009 Teresa rated it did not like it
I made it 75% of the way through and then decided my time was too precious to be irritated with this author for one more minute. The concept of the book is really interesting and he has a few excellent examples of times he said yes that really forwarded his life experiences. However, I just got tired of hearing about all the times he said "yes" to credit card offers or spam e-mail. It would have been one thing if he'd said to his readers "I realize this is silly, but it's part of my project." In ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 01, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: beautiful-books
The film version of this book stunk. In no way did the Hollywood version of this story translate the histeria and the heart of this story. I read this while living in London, when Danny Wallace was really just up and coming. He had made it when he got a meme going through his audience of reader from "Join Me"... through tiny want ads in the newspaper!

Read this book, especially if you are an anglophile. Never, ever watch the terrible film.
Dani
Jun 08, 2015 Dani rated it it was amazing
This book takes me back to when I lived in London and the concept of this seemed totally possible! I 'loled' many a time which took me by surprise, I didn't think I would like it this much! I couldn't really get into the other Danny Wallace books unfortunately, however this book is def a 5/5.
Miriam
Dec 20, 2016 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-favourites
When my partner and I were decluttering, I saw this one in his huge pile of books! I read the first sentence and I set it aside.
I wouldn't have picked this up at all and this is such a random read for me but I'm very happy I did. It is hilarious and inspiring!
Danny's "Yesmanifesto" is fun, at times cringe worthy, very real and truly inspiring. It makes you want to say YES to everything and book a ticket to see the Stonehenge 2. Whilst I am in Australia, I might want to see the Giant Ned Kelly fi
Abby
Aug 28, 2010 Abby rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, you read a book that just makes you happy over and over again, and you are always excited to pick it up, and you regularly laugh out loud while reading it. Then you get so into it that you decide to try doing exactly what the author does in the book for a couple days. Then you forget in about 10 minutes and get off track. Oh, and THEN! Then you decide to watch the Jim Carrey movie that was "inspired" by the book you are enjoying so much, and you're mad. You're mad because the movie is ...more
Ben Dutton
Feb 06, 2012 Ben Dutton rated it liked it
Okay. So I was travelling back from Norwich to North Wales, facing a six hour train journey, still tired, not ready to face Roberto Bolano, and from within the shop window I saw a copy of Danny Wallace’s Yes Man. The night before, with an evening to kill in Norwich, I went to the cinema with no idea what was playing, and so I made a decision – buy a ticket for whatever the next film starting was. That film was Yes Man, with Jim Carrey. The film, it had its moments, and Zooey Deschanel was gorgeo ...more
Katie
Sep 14, 2007 Katie rated it it was amazing
I read this book while travelling around Europe - a friend I was travelling with was actually reading it at the beginning of our trip, and after hearing her laughing and giggling (as well as feeling compelled to read out large chunks to me) as she read it made me desperate for her to finish so I could borrow it! It did not disappoint.
Very funny, but with a moral too, this is an amusing, easy read which also leaves you thinking about your own life and how you could learn from the book. This is s
Tessa
Dec 10, 2012 Tessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-und-früher
Mein erster "Wallace". Der Schreibstil ist wunderbar locker und der Humor fantastisch britisch. Er ist einer meiner absoluten Lieblingsautoren. Die Idee mit dem Ja-Experiment ist toll. Hab so beim Lesen lachen müssen, das ich verwunderte Blicke aus meiner Umgebung erntete.
Wer bereits den Film gesehen hat, der Ja-Sager, sollte sich davon nicht abschrecken lassen. Das Buch ist viel besser. (Fand den Film selbst etwas lahm.)
Dieses Buch hat mich auf den Geschmack gebracht mehr von Danny Wallace zu l
Kjerstin
Jan 15, 2011 Kjerstin rated it it was amazing
I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a book. Out loud, mind you. This book is witty, brilliant, and best of all based on real experiences. Inspiring for the long-term, it's in my list of personal bibles. Two cautions: 1) language warning, for those who care, and 2) too much in one sitting and Wallace's humor can get almost grating because it's so intense. Having said that... Read this book. Say yes.
whichwaydidshego?
It's Eat, Pray, Love on testosterone and humor. Adored it! My gut hurts from laughing so hard, yet in there somewhere it was poignant and important.

And the answer is Yes.
Dylan
Apr 01, 2009 Dylan rated it it was amazing
Anna
Sep 20, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
Forgive me, but this review is based on the memory of a book that I got from Shepherd's Bush library over two years ago, but boy, what a memory!

I don't think I've ever felt as exhilerated after finishing a book before! A bit of a strange one to catagorize - from what I recall this is a memoir but with a very fictional prose style, making the whole thing seem very unbelievable, but from all accounts the details are all fact -

Radio producer Danny Wallace is offered some advice by a stranger - 'sa
Jessica
Jan 18, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was both moving and HOWLINGLY funny. After meeting a man on a bus who may or may not have been Jesus, Buddha, Maitreya the World Teacher, or all three, Danny Wallace decides to say yes to everything asked of him for one year. He gets a bad haircut, is hypnotized by the world's only hypnotic dog, goes to Amsterdam and gets stoned with a guy named Jahn, and buys a mint green Nissan Figaro. He also meets dozens of new people, gets a huge promotion, has a lot more fun, and finds true love. ...more
Christine Sinclair
What an interesting concept! "Say yes more." Author Danny Wallace's life was changed by those three small words, so much so that he wrote a book about it, which was made into a movie starring Jim Carrey (haven't seen it yet). The book is hilarious at times, surprising and insightful, but beyond that, it really made me re-evaluate the power of saying yes to new experiences and challenges. Should you read this book? YES!
Noelle
Aug 23, 2007 Noelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun, giggle, nonfiction
I am a fan of Danny Wallace's philosophy on life. I love his humor and his enthusiasm for his "boy projects." This book does not disappoint. He says "yes" to everything for a year and gets into some real messes-some of them dangerous, some of them touching, all of them funny. I laughed out loud throughout the majority of the book. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed "Join Me" or likes situational humor. Cheers Danny!
Joel Lueders
Mar 31, 2008 Joel Lueders rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone feeling slightly seasonally depressed
I laughed out loud and found parts funny enough to explain why I was laughing to my coworkers even though it took a bit of explaining to do. It's good because we can relate to how when you are not feeling depressed exactly, you can shut people and things out of your life. Well he fixes it and I recommend the book if you are saying "No" a lot, for no real good reason.
Claire
May 11, 2010 Claire rated it liked it
Interesting concept. Slow at times, funny at times. Good food for thought. WAY better than the movie. If you saw the movie, don't give up on this book. The movie has NOTHING to do with this book, except for the general principal of saying "yes", but nothing else! Hated the movie, liked the book.
Faith
Dec 04, 2008 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So, so good. I've come to expect funny from Danny Wallace, but in this book, I laughed so hard that I cried on multiple occasions. But beyond that, it was a really inspiring book. It made me think a lot about how I've become someone who says "no" a lot and what I might be missing when I'm not saying "yes." I really recommend it.
Sara
Jan 07, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
I love this book. A story like this could so easily feel contrived, but it never does in the hands of Danny Wallace's warm, friendly voice (enjoy that mixed metaphor, there). There's real heart to this story, along with humour and some surprising wisdom.
Kerry Geddes
Jan 08, 2015 Kerry Geddes rated it really liked it
Great philosophy and inspiring too, but the inspirational moments were hidden in lots of silly bits. Was recommended to me by a friend and I think part of my problem was that I had such high expectations of it.
Lexi
Sep 03, 2009 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book started slowly, but once it picked up, I didn't want to put it down - great story that was both entertaining and actually inspiring. Life probably would be more interesting if we all said yes more.
Ane
Nov 13, 2008 Ane rated it did not like it
maybe I wasn't in the mood for this but the book dragged on and on and I got bored around page 150. So this one is going on the shelf for a while until I can handle the mundane adventures and silly schemes another time.
Vanessa
Jun 21, 2012 Vanessa rated it did not like it
I must admit that I actually preferred the movie adaptation to the book itself and its not often I say that!

I did read the book first before the movie but I didn't find it hilarious like a lot of people said. It was funny in places but a lot of it just seemed a bit ridiculous.

Beth Kennedy
Jan 29, 2014 Beth Kennedy rated it did not like it
Dull. I almost cried with boredom. Even though he said "Yes" to everything, it was still boring. It wasn't edgy enough for me. I said "yes" to giving this book to a charity shop.
Read the Movie: Yes Man 2 42 Apr 14, 2012 10:49AM
  • Are You Dave Gorman?
  • A Piano In The Pyrenees: The Ups and Downs of an Englishman in the French Mountains
  • Where Did It All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
  • Screen Burn
  • I Left My Tent in San Francisco
  • Frozen Assets
  • Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest To Uncover The Books That Time Forgot
  • Harpo Speaks!
  • It's Only a Movie
  • A Safe Place: The True Story of a Father, a Son, a Murder
  • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
  • The Timewaster Letters
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
  • How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work exper
More about Danny Wallace...

“Probably some of the best things that have ever happened to you in life, happened because you said yes to something. Otherwise things just sort of stay the same.” 124 likes
“Take the stupidest thing you've ever done. At least it's done. It's over. It's gone. We can all learn from our mistakes and heal and move on. But it's harder to learn or heal or move on from something that hasn't happened; something we don't know and is therefore indefinable; something which could very easily have been the best thing in our lives, if only we'd taken the plunge, if only we'd held our breath and stood up and done it, if only we'd said yes.” 64 likes