Start by marking “Secular Cycles” as Want to Read:
Secular Cycles

Secular Cycles

Many historical processes exhibit recurrent patterns of change. Century-long periods of population expansion come before long periods of stagnation and decline; the dynamics of prices mirror population oscillations; and states go through strong expansionist phases followed by periods of state failure, endemic sociopolitical instability, and territorial loss. Peter Turchin ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Secular Cycles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secular Cycles

Keith Akers
Aug 09, 2013 Keith Akers rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely great book, clearly of interest to anyone who is concerned about things like the collapse of civilizations, and specifically the possible collapse of our civilization. And it was published in 2009, and I'm only finding out about it, and reading it, now! I found out about it through Gail Tverberg's blog, "Our Finite World," and I hope it finds a wide readership. But a word of warning: this book is not for the faint of heart. You've got to love the subject or you'll never mak ...more
Stephen
Mar 24, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing
This book exemplifies my type of futures - a grand sweep of human history, a causal model, and a dynamic framework from which we can view our present lives. The first chapter outlines the model and is followed by eight turns of the cycle, two per chosen country. The final chapter draws together the evidence and the model.

I found the model to be quite interesting. It seems to be based on two perspectives of history. One is the Malthusian, where history can be described as a series of cycles where
David Usharauli
Nov 27, 2016 David Usharauli rated it liked it
Shelves: history, economy
In this book the authors analyze several correlations that lead to rise and fall of the States based on population growth, labor market demands and excesses of upper classes.

I did not find their approach particularly innovative. One thing I remembered from this book is "plateau" stage they called stagflation. This is a stage in state's secular development when population saturation leads to wage decline that coincides with maximum profits for upper classes.

I would say that USA has entered stagfl
Odhran
Feb 06, 2014 Odhran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Very interesting book. Outlines a theory of history which explains a significant proportion of historical change in agrarian societies. It's a very interesting approach, and one which I think will provide extremely interesting insights into history and, potentially, the future.

Some minor issues with typos, and some of the history strikes me as potentially a little weak, but those are very minor issues when compared with the overall work.
David Lopez
Jan 01, 2015 David Lopez rated it it was amazing
I would recommend reading war and peace and war instead of this one, this goes into much much more details but unless you know the math and are really that skeptical the same concept gets a worthy write up in his other book. Still very good and more of the same which is why I read it, but unless you really want more history from this perspective the same concept is done just fine in war and peace and war.
Fred R
Jan 14, 2012 Fred R rated it it was amazing
There are still some very basic questions (how do you define "the elite"? What determines the number of "elite aspirants"? Is the model applicable to a post-agricultural economy? If so, what are we really talking about? People's ability to marshal enough resources to reproduce themselves biologically and economically?) that remain to be answered, but all in all I'm just a huge fan of this neo-Malthusian "structural-demographic" theory.
Stefan
Jun 12, 2016 Stefan rated it really liked it
Well documented validation of a very interesting theory.
Edward
Edward rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2010
Amirardalan Emami
Amirardalan Emami rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Hieron
Hieron rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Adam Elkus
Adam Elkus rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Jukka Aakula
Jukka Aakula rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Ron Johnson
Ron Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
G Snyder
G Snyder rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2017
Ohr
Ohr rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
g.low_koma
g.low_koma rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2017
David Vidal Viladoms
David Vidal Viladoms rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Marc Widdowson
Marc Widdowson rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Yunus
Yunus rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2017
Hox
Hox rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Alan Bickley
Alan Bickley rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Bookleech
Bookleech rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Elijah Wallace
Elijah Wallace rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Edward Kruger
Edward Kruger rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013