Start by marking “Soul Mates: Honoring the Mysteries of Love and Relationship” as Want to Read:
Soul Mates: Honoring the Mysteries of Love and Relationship

Soul Mates: Honoring the Mysteries of Love and Relationship

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,696 ratings  ·  59 reviews
The companion volume to Care of the Soul, this book shows how the need to love and to connect with others leads inevitably not only into intimacy, but also into many kinds of difficulty and even failure. It emphasizes that through these difficulties, life is enriched and the soul thrives.
Published January 1994 by Harper Collins (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Mates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Mates

Jaime
as i get older
and continue to build my nest of love
i'm so taken by the lil birds
that have landed along side of me
to shake me and wake me
there are those rare gems
that when you look into their eyes
you know you sit warmly in their depths.

soul mates.
Mme. Bookling ~
Another amazing installment in Moore's lifelong quest towards avodacting the mysterious and unfathomable depths of the human soul and how it can possible amalgamate to another equally enigmatic human soul. Moore confronts moralism in sexuality as well as pondering the needs of soul - in that it often wants detachment just as much as attachment, coldness as well as passion. Though I consider myself a lover of soul and proponent of the soul's journey, Moore never ceases to press further into the p ...more
Trisha Keiman
One of my favorite writers. He teaches about ourselves, others and the world around us. This book focuses on the meanigns behind intimacy, separations, endings, beginnings, sexual conflicts and any other obstacles in our pursuit for intimacy. It basically tells us that if we are brave enough, willing enough to go these these motions, we will be enriched and our souls will thrive. He also explores being soulful in a community, society and with other nations. I love the way he adds a wide range of ...more
Steve Arthur
This book helped to inspire a song I wrote for my soulmate:
Here is just a few words:
"Just two imperfect people, perfectly made for each other.
Willing to go the distance to find the perfect comfort for every imperfect heartache.
Just two imperfect people, perfectly made for each other...."
I appreciate Thomas Moore writings and understanding, even more so the way in which he communicates so that one soul can understand their mate.
Mark Bennett
Not sure what to do with the thoughts/feelings that have gripped me since reading Moore’s book. Over and over he writes of the “soul-work” we’re all challenged to engage in.

And really all along the way and right to the end he’s making an argument for facing off with and confronting everything that transpires in our lives without judgement, that love is the ground and life affirmation the end all: the good and bad, the dark and despairing, the difficult and confusing, the grand and glorious, the
Robin
I appropriately read this book on a flight to San Francisco -- some of you will think it hippie dippy but I have to say, I really appreciated its introspective view and the encouragement of the author. Thanks to Clare
Gupta for passing it along! Also liked that while it's a little heady and even circular at times, there are good examples from mythology and references to Jung that sort of ground it. I would recommend this to anyone interested in learning more about themselves in relationships (pla
Berthine
"As with all matters of soul, it is in honoring its impulses that we find our way best into its mysteries."

Biography: Moore was born in 1940 in Detroit, Michigan to an Irish Catholic family. As a youth he joined the Servites, a Roman Catholic lay order where he studied philosophy and music.
He then earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Chicago's DePaul University, a Master of Arts degree in musicology from the University of Michigan, a Master of Arts degree in theology from the University of Wind
Patrick
Marcea
Perhaps I should return to certain passages of this work all through my life to find new insight into myself. I have had a life long struggle with ideas I’ve seen to be polar opposites – religion & science and sensuality & intellect where Moore seems to view the facets of life as different qualities to feed the soul, not to be denied and all of value to the soul. The insight I found within these pages is vast, but one passage in particular on page 179 stuck with me. ‘Even intelligent, so ...more
Adodom
Jul 26, 2009 Adodom rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in soul work
Another good book for soul work.
Greg Tilden
Brilliant writer bringing creativity and poetic understandings back into our everyday conceptions of relationships of all sorts, lovers to acquaintances. Gives soul and meaning to the important things we often forget.
Anita
A beautiful read that has allowed me to really challenge myself. It's helped me intepret some of my behaviours and understand what I need to work upon.
Jean
I enjoyed the introduction so much that I read it twice. It was so soothing , not unlike meditation.

The rest of the book however , did not live up to expectations.
Susan
Began to read this book this year...very intuitive and soul-touching. Stopped reading it..need to pick up again soon. So much of Thomas Moore's writing is so familiar and true, as if it were a part of me all along. Plan to restart/continue this book soon. Not sure what has kept me from doing so yet...perhaps the connection it had with me, regarding that particular time in my life. Although I have not read the entire book, I would strongly recommend reading it...without fear or hesitation of what ...more
Dorothy
Soul Mates.. reminds us to remember to look at ourselves, others and the world from a new perspective--through story, myth, image and dream. This book is urgently imporant and filled with practical wisdom, deep feeling and much love.

It is uncanny that I was looking for a book today and noticed Soul Mates. Only yesterday Barack Obama urged us to look at ourselves, others and the world from a new perspective. Nothing transpires by accident.
Drick
Thomas More (former monk, Jungian psychologist) has some interesting insights on the nature of "soul" in one's life and relationships. I am not always clear what exactly he is talking about, but he makes me think in terms of what my inner promptings may be saying and leading me to do. In this book he applies those same ideas to relationships, and invites the reader to not only listen to one's own soul, but the soul of the relationship.
This book was much more than I expected in terms of content and nuance. Not one word of this book is superfluous, and I particularly found his use and readings of myths to be very valuable. I think any one person can gain powerful and encouraging insights into their own lifepath and relationships by reading this book. I will definitely check out more of Thomas Moore's works.
Paashi99
Thomas Mooore enlarges the circle of soul mates beyond the romantic relationship. Reading this one comes away with the understanding that any relationship can be soulful when its dynamics are not shadowed by conventional notions. In other words soul mates have genuine connections where the heart is open and accepting of the other.
Bobbi
A different approach to looking at problems in relationships without the blame. Sometimes a bit circular in reasoning, want to ask him - OK, what exactly do you mean and what is one supposed to do. But overall, resonated with it a lot, comforting. The soul has it's own reasons, which he distinguishes from the higher self.
Marianne Ogden
This is a great introduction to Jungian psychology and our need for love and relationship. It's not just theoretical. This book offers many practical applications. It also shows how the archetypes in mythology give insight into our dreams, fears, and imagination.
Miroku Nemeth
I think that the best advice one can gain from this book is to explore both the darkness and the light in love and life and see them as necessary cycles that will and must unfold. Live life as poetry unfolding. A very worthwhile read.
Elizabeth
I learned that my focus on the doing and things of life that are for beauty, for friendship, for the garden, are worth the time they take. I find this book soothing, supporting and calming. So I have read it twice and I am not done.
Rosie Banks
This book really turned my whole view of soulmates around. It gave me an understanding of soul as separate from spirit. Very thought-provoking! It challenged me to consider how I've preferred spirit over soul.
Diane Nemec eggert
Thomas Moore is a fantastic writer, and one of my favorites. He is an extremely deep thinker and is able to eloquently put one's feelings into words. Also recommend "The Dark NIghts of the Soul."
Keri
This book taught me that we have many soul mates, who are our true friends (not just our romantic match), and these friends bring out the various aspects of our complex personalities.
Mona
I was comforted by the intelligence and spiritual nature of the author in this presentation that lead me to purchase his other books, Care of the Soul, and The Education of the Heart.
Steve
Exceptional look at the "spiritual" desires underlying romantic relationships. Moore taught me the great advantages of thinking, acting and living from the perspective of my soul.
Thomas (Tom)
Moore's book is ideal as a resource book for counseling, marriage enrichment, or pre- marriage counseling. While informative, it is not designed for leisure reading.
Ganesh
Thomas Moore's writing is soul candy. Maybe that's an inadequate metaphor. . . . Here's another stab at it: it's a magnificent, delightful feast for the soul.
Joanne
Although I read this book over ten years ago, I remember it well. It gave me a lot to think about with regards to my relationships, and was quite inspiring.
  • The Soul's Code: In Search of Character and Calling
  • The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams
  • A Woman's Worth
  • Further Along the Road Less Traveled: The Unending Journey Towards Spiritual Growth
  • Passionate Marriage: Keeping Love and Intimacy Alive in Committed Relationships
  • Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit
  • Journey of the Heart: The Path of Conscious Love
  • The Shaman's Body: A New Shamanism for Transforming Health, Relationships, and the Community
  • The Dance of Intimacy: A Woman's Guide to Courageous Acts of Change in Key Relationships
  • Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self
  • The Path to Love: Spiritual Strategies for Healing
  • Soul Stories
  • Necessary Losses: The Loves Illusions Dependencies and Impossible Expectations That All of us Have
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • Spontaneous Healing
  • One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth
  • Finding God Through Sex: Awakening the One of Spirit Through the Two of Flesh
  • girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties

Thomas Moore is the author of the bestselling book Care of the Soul and fifteen other books on deepening spirituality and cultivating soul in every aspect of life. He has been a monk, a musician, a university professor, and a psychotherapist, and today he lectures widely on
More about Thomas Moore...
Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life Dark Nights of the Soul: A Guide to Finding Your Way Through Life's Ordeals The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life The Soul of Sex: Cultivating Life as an Act of Love A Life at Work: The Joy of Discovering What You Were Born to Do