Start by marking “Losing Ground: A Sloan and Crosby Mystery (Detective Chief Inspector C.D. Sloan)” as Want to Read:

Losing Ground: A Sloan and Crosby Mystery (Inspector Sloan #22)

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  16 reviews

"Fans have waited two years for another of Aird's Calleshire County police procedurals, and if you like golf, this well-crafted whodunit was especially worth the wait….Full of poetical, biblical and Shakespearian references, this fun read delivers a denouement that finishes the game well under par. Nicely played."
–Publishers Weekly on Hole in One

"Trust mystery writer Cathe

Published (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Losing Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Ground

Damaskcat
The theft from a museum of a painting of no apparent worth together with a few small items from a display case leaves Sloan and Crosby baffled as there seems no motivation for the crime at all. Then someone sets fire to a house that used to belong to the subject of the painting and the plot thickens. The reader is taken into a dubious world of planning applications, disputed land ownership and threatened takeover bids before Sloan and Crosby manage to unravel both cases and solve the mystery.

I l
Kirsty Darbyshire

I read a couple of Catherine Aird's books a few years back and seemed to remember liking them so I picked this up off the library shelf. I love having my archives to look back through though - they are so much better than my memory! I had liked the first one I read: "Short and sweet, but really pretty well executed." but the second one seemed a bit too similar.

This one contained the same compact storytelling but with a gap of several years since the last book I enjoyed it for much the same reas

Nancy
I gave this book my attention for ninety pages then set it aside. It is obvious that the author has a following since there are at least 20 other titles listed in the front of the book, but I was disinterested in the plot, characters, and action from the first chapter.

The promotional blurbs list her "brisk wit" and mischievous stories, but the witticisms totally escaped me in Losing Ground.
Cindy
May 19, 2009 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of English mysteries
Shelves: 999, mysteries, wishlist
I was excited to see this latest in a series I really enjoy, featuring Detective Inspector CD Sloan and the almost-clueless Constable Crosby. This time, the action centers around first the theft of a painting and then around the arson involving the building in the painting. The building depicted is the center of a land development tangle involving preservationists, real estate developers, city planners, and a rock star.

I usually rate these at 5 stars, but this one seemed to me to be a little to
Kim
This one took a L O N G time to get going. The police just stumbled around forever with not terribly interesting 'crimes' (or maybe not) and then all at once in the last couple of pages some excitement.
Susan
A not-very valuable portrait of an 18th century nobleman is stolen from the museum at about the same time that the mansion formerly owned by his family is set afire. Soon Detective Inspector C.D. Sloan is dealing with the property owners and developers who want to build housing on the mansion's site, the preservation society that hopes to restore it to its full beauty, the rock star who wants to live in it, and the company that wants to buy the developers. Nothing that he finds explains the link ...more
Carol Best
Not one of my favourites...but an okay read. I found it difficult to keep all the characters straight.
Krob
I like Catherine Aird despite her cryptic dialog style. Losing Ground, which is about the development of an old estate in England into a housing development, is complete with a rock star, a greenpeace activist, and a bumbling assistant detective. Love the Crosby character who always asks the one stupid question that solves the mystery. Great fun.
Liz
Aug 12, 2008 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic crime novels in the style of Agatha Christie
Classic style British mystery featuring DCI C.D. Sloan. Sloan begins by investigating a theft and then arson at a Stately Home, and a possible homicide is soon added to the mix. Nicely written, with a clever plot and witty dialogue. Aird is a talented mystery writer who deserves to be better known.
Mandy
I am actually on CD4 of this story. It isn't the best Catherine Aird I have read, but its quite an interesting story based around the arson of a long empty manor house.
Ric Jerrom is reading the version I am listening to. I find his oice a little dull - he could easily send me to sleep! Oops.
Michelle Davis
Slow-moving, reader has no connection to the many characters introduced. Had a hard time keeping track of everyone and every thing. Pretty soon, it was just too hard work to keep re-reading to try to figure out what I was missing for this book to flow properly.
Leslie Angel
Not sure why I read this. Probably too lazy to search for another book, and more or less confined to bed. Jacket said t'was about art theft and old manor house--ok, right?--but it was boring.
Katrina
I quite enjoyed this book although it seemed a bit dated to me. I would have liked to have been able to give it 3.5 as it perked up towards the end.
Kay
Oh it's on. I love reading her books and now am going to try to figure out from the title what she will throw at the reader.
Megan
This book, although it's a British procedural mystery, just did not grab me, and I didn't finish it.
Becky Dawson
Becky Dawson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Janet Jones
Janet Jones is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Marts  (Thinker)
Marts (Thinker) marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Sep 06, 2014
Kimberly Hall
Kimberly Hall marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne added it
Aug 11, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
92062
Catherine Aird (born 1930) is the pseudonym of author Kinn Hamilton McIntosh. She was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, and is the author of more than twenty crime fiction novels and story collections. Her writings are similar to those of Vivien Armstrong, M C Beaton and Pauline Bell.

Aird is creator of the Sloan and Crosby novels, set in the CID department of the fictional Berebury, West Calleshire
More about Catherine Aird...

Inspector Sloan (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)
  • Slight Mourning (Inspector Sloan #6)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Some Die Eloquent (Inspector Sloan #8)
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • Last Respects (Inspector Sloan #10)
The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1) Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2) A Most Contagious Game The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3) A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)