Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  192 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
There are treasures to be found... There are treasures to be found... They're hidden in city and state parks, outside of nearby buildings, alongside hiking trails and exercise routes, and even in local neighborhoods. This is geocaching, an adventure-based game involving intentionally hidden treasures, i.e. caches, and a standard handheld global positioning system (GPS) uni ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Alpha Books

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching

Laura Cushing
Apr 07, 2014 Laura Cushing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent geocache guide

This book tells you everything you need to know to start your geocache adventures. We have been playing for a while now, but wanted a book that gave us some more detailed info. This did the trick.
Joey Paul
Oct 09, 2014 Joey Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research-books
Having jumped in feet first to Geocaching, I was happy to find this easy to read book that took me from preparing for the hunt, to going through the hunt, to finding the cache and then onto more advanced stuff that I'll probably get to eventually. Well written and in an easy language to understand. It included details on how to use the features on their site, to even recommending apps, devices and other websites and programmes that may be of use to the beginner or the master of geocaching. I fou ...more
Karen
Feb 07, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
What a great resource! Regardless of your level of expertise, you will get something very useful out of this guide.
Lisa
May 12, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This first edition of the book is outdated. Several cache types mentioned in the book are no longer allowed, several features of the geocaching website important to know for deciding which cache to see are missing from this book, technology covered is now outdated and the chapter on the future of geocaching is a fun look at the state of geocaching technology today. The book does do a good job of explaining how GPSr's work and makes good note of the importance of following some basic guidelines w ...more
Catherine
Nov 23, 2014 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by the originators of the geocaching phenomenon, this book is loaded with everything you need to know if you are just starting out. Even after 4 years I still refer back to this book on occasion.
Rob Robideau
Jun 02, 2013 Rob Robideau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a "Complete" Guide

I am an absolute beginner and have no geocaching experience whatsoever. I wanted a book that would tell me what it's all about and provide some resources to find out more. This book did the job and some. It really is a "complete" guide. It has information on each individual aspect of geocaching from maps and map reading to hiking tips to etiquette to GPS hardware advice. I realize that there is a newer edition and some of the hardware specifics were out of date, but
Ami
Mar 31, 2016 Ami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. A few outdated spots but over all very helpful.
Carlene Blackburn
Great book for geocachers. I highly recommend it!
Tommy
Feb 05, 2015 Tommy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to follow guide about geocaching.
Simon
Jul 10, 2013 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent and very complete introduction to geocaching. I knew little about this fascinating hobby and so far, my family and I have already found 23 caches in 5 cities! To get started with geocaching, read a few chapters in this book, a few pages of your GPS' user manual and then go outside and try it out to put everything in context. Repeat the process until you understand the game and know your way around Geocaching.com, can work your GPS, and develop a sixth sense as to where the c ...more
Brandy
Sep 24, 2014 Brandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative!
Josh Liller
Jan 07, 2010 Josh Liller rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: geocaching
Picked this up from the library just because it was the only book they had on the subject. This is the 1st edition and published in 2004. If you want a geocaching book don't even bother with this one but at least get the 2nd edition (published 2009) instead.

It seems a comprehensive guide to all things related to geocaching but really you could just visit geocaching.com to learn pretty much everything you need to know.
Matt
Sep 12, 2010 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: geocaching novices
Covers all the topics useful to the beginner geocacher and applies to players anywhere in the world.

If you're passingly familiar with GPS and map-reading, then you can probably get most of what you need from the geocaching.com website and forums, but if you want everything in one book, portable and without the need to pore through a hundred forum posts or FAQs, then the book may be worthwhile.
Melissa
My family and I are new to this, though we are avid letterboxers. We found this book to not be as helpful as we had hoped it would be. A lot of it seemed like common sense versus learning about something new. However, from a stand point of not knowing anything about either hobby, I could see that it would be helpful to brand new cachers.
Shannon
This is a couple of years old and technology has advanced a lot since this book came out. The website and some web browsing should answer most of your questions if you're interested in geo caching. The book did help me understand a few things (Wherigos for example) but then it still refers you to the internet for alot more information.
Jackie
May 31, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Something Mom wants to know more about, so it is something that I am going to get into with her.
Very informative. While I really haven't finished the book, I will always be looking back at it with questions that I might have. Tried Geocaching yesterday with what we know and it is a lot of FUN!!!! Cannot wait to do it again.
Rick
May 23, 2014 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This would have gotten a higher rating had I read it ten years ago. A lot of the information (largely the technology bits of course) is quite outdated now but there is still some really good stuff to be found inside. I liked that there was a big section on using good old fashioned compas and paper maps.
Cecilia Perez
Jun 14, 2015 Cecilia Perez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource. Even though it was written a mere 3 years ago, lots of the techie info is outdated. Pathtags aren't even mentioned. I'm going to keep this one. Learned a lot that I didn't know I was supposed to know. It will be interesting to see what the 4th edition has to say.
Amy
Aug 06, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find this series of books very helpful as a primer on a variety of topics. I think it gave me the necessary information to go ahead and get started with geocaching. I would recommend it for others looking to start this hobby.
Siobhan
Jan 10, 2016 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to renew my interest in geocaching, now that I have someone to go with me (my granddaughter). It's been over five years since I have hunted down my last cache ...

Lesley Looper
Learned some pretty interesting things about geocaching in this book, but there's nothing like getting out there and looking for caches. Good exercise, too.
Sam
Sep 25, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book, good info about the world of geocaching. It is very helpful for new people as well as experts, I really like some of the tactics for finding GZ :)
Oliver
Aug 30, 2013 Oliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. I have Geocahced about a month or two before reading the book but its certainly showed me a few things.
Joy
Jun 19, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful book for me, as I knew nothing about geocaching except that I wanted to try it with my family.
Heather
May 14, 2011 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book is a great introduction to geocaching. I would have given 4 stars but it was quite repetitive.
Megan
Nov 29, 2015 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not a lot of new information here and most of the book is outdated already....
QuesterMark
I learned what Geocaching was like in the early years.
Things have changed.
Philip Hollenback
Apparently the standard book about geocaching. Perfectly adequate.
Lesley
Jan 04, 2011 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great beginners guide to geocaching. Can't wait to get started!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • 1001 Natural Wonders: You Must See Before You Die
  • Affirmative Action: Racial Preference in Black and White
  • Jacks and Jokers
  • A Year of Adventures: A Guide to What, Where and When to Do It
  • Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations
  • Sheila: The Australian ingenue who bewitched British society
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Parecon: Life After Capitalism
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Backpacking and Hiking
  • Hardcoregaming101.Net Presents: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures
  • The Presocratics
  • Cape May Court House: A Death in the Night
  • Find Me
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
  • Sandakan
  • Bad Medicine: Doctors Doing Harm Since Hippocrates
  • Armed Gunmen, True Facts, and Other Ridiculous Nonsense: A Compiled Compendium of Repetitive Redundancies

The Complete Idiot's Guides (1 - 10 of 207 books)
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Literature
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Assertiveness
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astronomy (Complete Idiot's Guide to)

“It isn’t often when you can tap into an outdoor game that has a government budget of more than half a billion dollars a year!” 0 likes