Start by marking “Famous Last Words” as Want to Read:
Famous Last Words

Famous Last Words

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  192 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Published July 7th 2011 by Orion (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Famous Last Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Famous Last Words

Ditchthebun
Jan 22, 2015 Ditchthebun rated it it was ok
This was a random book I picked up at the Library. I am not even sure what made me choose it to be honest. This was an interesting story, I certainly enjoyed seeing the character Lucy rediscover and embrace life. Some of the things she got up to I wish I had the courage to do, but aren’t we all afraid of doing anything and everything we want to do? Afraid of looking foolish or being ridiculed? I liked those aspects of the story, some even made me giggle. A few times I thought I had guessed the e ...more
Nancy
Apr 02, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-escapist
Cautious Single British mother approaching middle age faces mortality only days away. How will she live/wrap up her business, friends, son, protective father, her son's birth father? Will she continue her cautious ways or through it all to the wind? Pleasant read with some food for thought.
Amanda
Nov 16, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Contrived. Silly nonsensical plotline. Not a book I'll care to remember.
Sarah Broadhurst
Sep 01, 2010 Sarah Broadhurst rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-review
Lucy spends her days beavering away at her sewing machine, making divine, flamboyant clothes that express all the passion and flair that she cannot, and at night she sits alone with her latest creations, fretting over her struggling business. Her life is one of unfulfilled ambitions and missed opportunities. Then one evening Lucy meets the beautiful, fey and enigmatic Micah, who has an uncanny knack for foretelling fortunes, and manages to convince even the cynical Lucy. So when Micah tells her ...more
Lauren
Aug 21, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok
Mareike
May 25, 2012 Mareike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelesen-2012
Jetzt kann ich's dir ja sagen hat mich beim Stöbern direkt angesprochen. Wie wäre es, wenn plötzlich jemand voraussagt, dass man nur noch eine Woche zu leben hat? Diese Frage muss sich auch Lucy stellen, die für den ganzen "Esoterik-Quatsch" allerdings so gar nichts übrig hat. Erst nach und nach - als andere Voraussagen sich bewahrheiten - kommt sie ins Grübeln. Mir würde es auch so gehen und daher wollte ich das Buch sehr gerne lesen.

Der Roman wird von Lucy in einer Rückblende erzählt, so dass
Chloe
Oct 08, 2010 Chloe rated it really liked it
Lucy Streeter thought she had her life pretty sussed out. She runs a clothes shop, where she also gets to show off her own designs that she does in her own spare time, she’s mum to her grown up son Nat who is at University, and she gets on really well with the other occupants of Paradise Street, where their shops are based. However, Lucy decides to pay a visit to a fortune teller one day, and finds out a bit of shocking news… she has just days to live. Lucy is horrified that her time on Earth is ...more
Helen Moyes
A great book for summer half term reading.
Light, funny, but also thought provoking.
The main character Lucy is a dress designer, running her own business. This is not the only reasons I could relate to Lucy, as she is not about to let injustice go unacted on. In this case a landlord bully trying to get the better of her and her neighboring businesses.
The thought provoking bit is when Lucy believes she only has 4 more days to live...
How would you spend your last 4 days?
Julie Lewis
Jan 30, 2016 Julie Lewis rated it it was amazing
Instantly attracted to this book about a middle aged single mother who, a bit like me, has no direction in life. This all changes when she meets Micah , a fortune teller, who completely alters her mindset and has a bit of a secret of his own ( plot twist right before the end , and I certainly didn't see it coming !)

Thoroughly likeable, very honest , tho sometimes a little implausible ( but it did make me laugh out loud ) ! NIce little page turner :)
Chanpreet
Sep 02, 2011 Chanpreet rated it really liked it
I liked the book. Lucy has sacrificed all these years to be mother and father to her son, whom she had at 17. She currently is a seamstress and owns her own shop. Business has been slow lately and the shop is in need of repairs. Lucy ends up going with a friend to a psychic, who tells her later that she's only got until next Friday to live. So Lucy takes stock of her life and starts making changes. BUt when it turns out there's been a mistake, Lucy goes into a panic.

It was great to see Lucy sha
Dawn
Mar 26, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love reading & it's FICTION people . Escapism & chilling out with a bit of a fun read. Loved it !
Karen Mace
Mar 03, 2014 Karen Mace rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Enjoyable story with really likeable characters. Enjoyed the little twist too even if it was a little silly!
Katie
Mar 21, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
I am not sure it was intentional, but to me 'Famous Last Words' reads like 'It's a Wonderful Life' (best movie ever) disguised as almost-predictable-but-saved-by-quirky Chick Lit. Heavy themes floated and skipped along on the chatty, coffee clutch voice of the author. Or should I say authors? Annie Sanders is the combined pen name of the two women who have written with one voice quite nicely. I think I'll try another of their books.
Betsy
Jul 03, 2012 Betsy rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2012
Summer of chick-lit has been kicked off!

This cute story is about a humdrum designer living a normal life when she meets a clairvoyant who predicts her death... in one week.

She spends the week living on the edge and doing the things she was always too afraid to do.

An uplifting story guaranteed to make you live your life to the fullest.
Cheryl
May 30, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Shelves: physical-book
The beginning of this book was REALLY slow. After reading the first 80 or so pages I wasn't sure I wanted to continue. But then the main plot happened and I finished the rest quickly. Pretty predictable story but I enjoyed it (well after the beginning).
Michaela Lake
Nov 26, 2013 Michaela Lake rated it really liked it
Chick-lit but with a thought-provoking plot for anyone with ears to hear. A little bit trite with the way all the financial boats burned get sorted out. But fun, and makes you think about what's really important to you.
Kim
Oct 27, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2010
This was a nice easy read. Lucy is told that she doesn't have a future to look forward to, by a fortune teller. She makes a list of things she thinks she should do and achieve by Friday!
Helen
Jan 08, 2013 Helen rated it liked it
I thought this was a bit cheesey at first and didn't want to like it. But I did. I quite liked the concept behind the story even if some of the plot devices weren't really my thing.
Jan 04, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book, until the end when I took a turn in a direction I didn't like. Still an easy read to get me started!
Christine
Aug 16, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
Yet another nearly 40 single mum in crisis meets man novel.
An easy read, entertaining yet slightly predictable.
Tasha
Dec 06, 2015 Tasha rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Boring, predictable, shallow characters, giving this two stars instead of one because Micah was vaguely interesting
Karma
Feb 13, 2012 Karma rated it liked it
This was a cute book. A little wordy, but overall the message was wonderful. Live like you're dying!
Jen
Oct 07, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Interesting premise, it does make you wonder what you would do in this situation. I liked it.
Diana
Nov 12, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing
slow going for a few chapters..but hang in there...really cute and flows lovely!
Beverley
Jan 30, 2013 Beverley rated it it was amazing
Entertaining book - especially for those who need to get out and live a little!
Melissa
Feb 26, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, interesting addition to Sanders' canon!
Beth
Dec 09, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Cute. A nice escape after the last zombie book.
Marti
Jun 20, 2012 Marti added it
Again with a British book.
Sheena
  • Getting Away with It
  • Die Goldhändlerin
  • Wild Things
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)
  • Auf der anderen Seite ist das Gras viel grüner
  • Purpurmond
  • Der Pakt (Feuer & Glas, #1)
  • Coming Home
  • A Mistletoe Kiss
  • Bis ans Ende der Welt (Kyria & Reb, #1)
Annie Ashworth and Meg Sanders met at ante–natal classes and bonded as they learnt the benefits of raspberry leaf tea and relaxation breathing. Neither remedy worked but a friendship was born.

Annie's background is in advertising copywriting and journalism. She cut her teeth on a great little magazine called Southside, and put in the journo donkey work at Essentials, editing knitting patterns, and
More about Annie Sanders...