Start by marking “Meeresschimmer.” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Meeresschimmer.

Barbara Bretton

Meeresschimmer. (The Idle Point Stories #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,518 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
From the moment they met as children, there was something special between Noah Chase and Gracie Taylor, something that grew and matured right along with them. Despite Gracie's troubled family--and Noah's cold, distant one--they man-aged to make each other laugh, and keep each other's dreams alive...

But Noah's father already had plans for his golden boy's future--plans that
Paperback
Published October 1st 2002 by Heyne (first published November 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Meeresschimmer., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meeresschimmer.

Michelle Connolly
I thought I was really going to like this book. I love stories when the main characters have known each other for a long time and one of them has always been in love with the other... but in all honesty, this one just didn't do it for me.
For starters, it had way too much backstory. Sometimes it feels like Noah and Gracie are actually secondary characters and the plot revolves around their parents and their dislike for each other.
I never really felt the romance between the "main characters". Wha
Jo *Reading Is My Bliss*
This sort of story is right up my alley, second chance love, family secrets and a cute wee girl :)

Gracie has lived at Idle Point her whole life. Her mother died when she was a baby and her father turned to alcohol. This meant that her Grandmother pretty much raised her. Her father never seemed to get over losing her mother and seemed to forget that he even had a daughter.

When Gracie was 5 years old she met Noah at school. He was a sweet boy who took her under his wing and made her feel welcome a
Lindelicious
When Gracie was just a baby her mother passed away tragically. Unable to deal with the loss, her father turned to alcohol for relief leaving his daughter to be raised in poverty by her grandmother. Noah on the other hand comes from the most prominent family in town. The two meet in kindergarten where a tenuous friendship is built. Noah is soon sent to boarding school and their romance blooms when he returns at the age of seventeen and they plan an elopement. To keep Gracie away from his son Simo ...more
Katie O'Sullivan
First let me say I enjoyed this book and found myself fascinated by the world and characters the author created. Her descriptions were detailed and loving as she described the coastal community and its inhabitants, and I was engrossed in the love story, rooting for the happily ever after.

But.

The writing style was old fashioned, or old school, or something early 90's... Different enough to keep pulling me out of the story to take a deep breath and say, well that's just her unique style. Parts sou
Larissa
May 01, 2015 Larissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The full effect can be caught by clicking here.

If you have ever wonder how it would be like to read a story with 8 years ago; jump to a childhood — around 5 years old —, and travel the story up until 8 years later this book is for you. Don’t give up on how nice starts and how slow the first half will be, because what’s coming next is absolute gold.

Meeting the love of your life at 5 years old, might be a bit unsettling to read. But when the boy of Gracie’s eyes goes to boarding school at the tend
JoAnne
Dec 31, 2014 JoAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, set-in-maine
Idle Point, Maine Book # 1
The story begins with Gracie running away after a meeting with Simon Chase. She goes to get gas on her way out of town. What did he say to her to make her not go to her wedding?

Gracie meets Noah on their first day of kindergarten. Her grandmother works as a cook for his family. Gracie was born after her parents were married 20 years. Her father is 47 and he is a drunk. He started drinking after her mother died when Gracie was a baby. Noah's mother gave Gracie a sweater
Sumita Haldar
May 08, 2016 Sumita Haldar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who like romantic books
small town, childhood love, feuding families and secrets.

All the necessary ingredients for a poignant romantic story. I just devoured it. The booked hooked me from start to end. The only complaint i have that it got over.
This is the first Barbara Bretton book i read and it is not going to be the last.

I loved everything about this book, The storyline, writing style, well developed main characters and the secondary characters. It even had a very capturing prologue. The story is written from both h
Pia
Dec 15, 2014 Pia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandy Grissett
Dec 29, 2014 Sandy Grissett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story! I loved it!

This is a story of Gracie and Noah. They were just 5 years old when they met and she considered him her knight. He was from a rich family and she was from a poor family. Noah's dad sent him away to boarding school. When he returned at age 17, Noah and Gracie got back together. Her mother died when she was very young and her dad turned to alcohol. She was raised by her Grannie. Noah's dad and Gracie's dad had deep hatred for each other and was determined to keep them fro
Jo Notary
Forbidden Love Going Home
493k She was his anchor. He was her home.
Gracie Taylor fell in love with Noah Chase on the first day of kindergarten. Gracie was the girl from the wrong side of town. Noah was the town's golden boy. Their families had been at loggerheads since the death of Gracie's mother years ago and as they grew up, they had to risk everything to be together.
But it was worth it, because when they were together, nothing else mattered.
Then, on their wedding day, Gracie discovered a secr
Veronica
Jan 12, 2015 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reunion-stories
Loved this story! Reunion stories are always so moving because you get to see how two people try to come together after they have spent time apart and grown. Gracie and Noah met in kindergarten and instantly become friends. Family drama, teenage hidden passion and secrets (oh, the secrets!) all conspire to bring them closer while pulling them apart. I loved both of these characters and all of the secondary characters.

The story is told from various viewpoints (even by some minor characters). Thi
Ann-marie
This is my fourth Barbara Bretton book so obviously I am a fan. Noah and Graciela have known each other all their life(since kindergarten). This is not only a love story but tragedy as well. Gracie mother died very young. She had to deal with an alcoholic father and was raised by her grandmother in poor setting. Noah is from a rich family and his father noticing both children care for each other even as they got older did not like it. It is revealed that Noah's dad had a relationship in high sch ...more
Melissa Gillmore
This book had me hooked. I can't pinpoint why, but I found myself searching for any and all spare time to read. Overall I wasn't a big fan of the details of the storyline. The big picture was good, but some of the plot twists were cliché and predictable. They definitely rushed the ending. I would have loved to have seen a conversation between Gracie and Ben at the end (right after she found out the truth) or a little more insight to how they rekindled their love. I loved the different views of e ...more
Gianna
Jun 11, 2012 Gianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purely-romance
I read this in a day, and even though it is a corny love story, this is soooo my type of corny love story! A must read for all romantics, particularly those who aren't fond of overly sexed-up reads!
Jo Notary
Going Home
324pgs, She was his anchor. He was her home.
Gracie Taylor fell in love with Noah Chase, Idle Point's golden boy, on the first day of kindergarten. Gracie was the girl from the wrong side of town. But when they were together, nothing else mattered.
Then, on their wedding day, Gracie discovered a secret that sent her running from Idle Point, leaving Noah with a broken heart to match her own.
Now, eight years later, Gracie returns to Maine for her father's wedding. When she discovers Noah
Charissa
Dec 22, 2014 Charissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Contemporary romance that really tugs at the heartstrings. This was written with just the perfect amount of suspense and emotion to keep you hanging and holding on to hope that all will be made right in the end, even when life looks bleak for the characters…and it does. Gracie has the perfect flawed life, yet rises out of ashes with determination to make something of herself. Noah is almost too flawed, yet Gracie’s influence seems to heal his soul. This story takes the rich kid who falls in love ...more
Dorothy Gagnon
Sep 02, 2015 Dorothy Gagnon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will Love Wait!

Gracie had a tough life; a mother dead, and a drunken father. Gramma Del was all she had, and who brought her up the best she could until sadly she died.

Noah's dad, a wealthy man, never got to really know his, son and there was a lot of dissension. Then his world ended when his father died and that same day he lost his love, Gracie, she left town, why?

His mother, Ruth, was still hiding secrets, but what and who were they about? Great story of torn family relationships, hatred and
Elaine
Nov 15, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
A book that was so touching that you'll remember it for quite a while.
A small town in Maine, two young people meant to love each other forevr, a dark secret that will try to ruin their true love--these are all ingredients of a story that will tug at your heartstrings. Beautifully written with a realistic sense of family relationships that gives us a glimpse into lives that are tormented in the name of love.
I highly recommend reading this book as it will leave you with good feelings and a sense
Lizz
Feb 26, 2015 Lizz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eileen Carter
Love, old rivals, dark secrets make this a story you won't be able to put down

Old secrets, small towns, high school rivals these are things that can be found in any small town in the United States. Idle Point, Maine is no different.
Gracie had a rough start in life with the death of her mother from a car accident. Thankfully her grandma is there to help raise her, as her father is known as the town drunk, who tries to get sober every once in awhile, but never long enough to take care of her. Noa
jackie frye
Grace fell in love with Noah their first day of kindergarten. When she was a child all Gracie wanted was a TV family, a mother and father who loved her. However, her mother had died in a car accident when she was a baby and her father was a drunk who paid her absolutely no attention. Noah was the son of the wealthiest family in their small Maine town. He was shipped off to boarding school when he was only six years old. He and Gracie saw each other infrequently until the summer he was 17. That s ...more
GW
Jun 18, 2012 GW rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Got this free on the kindle, and I really wanted to like it more, but I couldn't. I didn't feel connected with the story, and I felt little to no emotion at all. The story's simply telling you what happened, and you read about the romance - but you don't feel it at all. It's a beginning from when they were little kids to their mid twenties. I mean, there wasn't any depth to the book either. It's in the 3rd POV, and we hear a little bit from everyone. I sometimes like the 3rd POV, but it just did ...more
Jennifer Reyes
Oct 07, 2014 Jennifer Reyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At last.

Gracie Taylor fell in love with Noah Chase on the first day of kindergarten. Gracie was the girl from the wrong side of town. But when they were together, nothing else mattered. Until Gracie discovered a secret that sent her running. leaving Noah with a broken heart to match her own.
Now 8 years later katie returns home and must face her past and the boy she has always will always love.

a good book. would make a better lifetime move. it seem to have too much details and yet not enough. it
Nina Piatt
Jul 10, 2015 Nina Piatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected in a GOOD way!!

As I began reading I thought I knew what to expect. Boy was I wrong. This is a true second chance love story. It was wonderful and sweet watching this love story start from the very beginning. You saw Gracie and Noah grow up. You could picture them as the story developed. Then the heart wrenching twists and turns began. I thought I knew what was coming. But I was wrong. It was unexpected and caught me off guard. I loved it.
Adri
Mar 31, 2013 Adri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story was sweet if predictable.

What bothered me was that a seasoned writer (I have never read anything else by this author but see on her profile that she has published multiple books) would permit so many inconsistencies and sloppy editing. In some places the 'hippie' family has 11 kids, in another 12. In some places a character is called Ann and a page or two later it is Mary. There are many places where sentences aren't separated by full stops, where words run into one another.

I find th
markee daniel
It was okay

There was one to many different point of views.. hopping from character to character. Not just that but you had no idea which characterize point of view went to until paragraphs in. It's a cute story it would of been better if it just stayed between the two characters. I found myself skipping over the childhood memories to get to the stuff that really mattered in the story.
Pam Koenig
Jul 08, 2015 Pam Koenig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes

Love comes when it wants, sometimes it's the forever kind. The basic story is two kids from opposite sides of the tracks meet in kindergarten and grow into love. The other story is about two people finding and saving each other. You meet various families and town people and learn you can go home again. I did shed a tear or two at the end. Thank heavens for an epilogue.
Debby
Noah Chase and Gracie Taylor fall in love in Kindergarten in Idle Point, Maine, but are separated when Noah is sent to a boarding school. In late high school they reconnect and truly fall in love and plan to marry, but his dad stops that. Seven years later, Gracie returns to town and after a lot of explaining by everyone, the truth finally comes out.

Good story.
Ann Miller
Jan 19, 2015 Ann Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this many-faceted tale. Reaching back to the character's childhoods added depth to the story. Very satisfying.

The villain could have used a couple positive traits to make him believable. I was afraid Gracie's father had been painted with the same brush, but he found redemption.

A good romance with a lot more depth than I expect in the genre.
Goodreads Librari...: Series - Idle Point 2 16 Jan 18, 2015 05:46AM
  • Hale's Point
  • The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)
  • Unbreak My Heart
  • Memories
  • Warrior's Bride
  • Just the Way You Are
  • Donovan's Angel (Donovan's of the Delta #1)
  • Moonlight and Margaritas
  • True Colours
  • Too Close for Comfort (Loveswept)
  • Almost a Bride (Wyoming Wildflowers, #1)
  • Across the Creek (Jesse & Sarah, #1)
  • Once Was Lost
  • The Great Bedroom War (Return to Redemption, #2)
  • Almost A Family
  • Fatal Embrace (Romantic Suspense)
  • Hero of her Heart
  • Mending Fences
Barbara Bretton is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of more than 40 books. She currently has over ten million copies in print around the world. Her works have been translated into twelve languages in over twenty countries.

Barbara has been featured in articles in The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Romantic Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Herald News, Home News, Somer
More about Barbara Bretton...

The Idle Point Stories (2 books)
  • Someone Like You

“The parent-child connection was as deep and wide as the ocean, as mysterious as heaven, as impossible to explain as love.” 0 likes
“Sometimes the little voices in your head were all that stood between you and oblivion.” 0 likes