Start by marking “The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great

The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  596 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Many years ago, the storytellers say, the great King Arthur brought justice to England with the help of his gallant Knights of the Round Table. Of these worthy knights, there was never one so fearless, so chivalrous, so honorable, so...shiny as the dashing Sir Lancelot, who was quite good at defending the helpless and protecting the weak, just as long as he'd had his after ...more
Published May 18th 2009 by Hmh Books for Young Readers (first published May 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great

Betsy
Jun 13, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wonder just how long Gerald Morris can continue to fly under the radar? By all rights the man should be as well-known and rich as Brian Jacques and the like. His Squire's Tales set in the world of King Arthur are funny, smart, and harbor just the right mix of authenticity and plumb good writing. They are, however, generally written for older kids. The tween to teen market, if you will. As a children's librarian, however, I notice that it's often younger kids that are asking for King Arthur st ...more
Trace
Luke's Review:

This book is about a brave knight from the Round Table, named Sir Lancelot the Great. He was brave because he won all of the knight tournaments and slayed dragons and did all kinds of knightly things.

My favorite part of the story was when Sir Lancelot was looking for King Arthur because he went up a path and there were 16 of King Arthurs best knights. Sir Lancelot didn't know that he was actually participating in one of King Arthur's tournaments. He was surprised when he found out
Vertrees
Dec 16, 2015 Vertrees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading a chapter each night with my 7 year old. We have one chapter to go. The book is hilarious. There are a lot of challenging words, and she frequently interrupted to ask what a word meant which was a great sign she was listening and engaged.
Robert Moushon
Morris, G., & Renier, A. (2008). The adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great. Boston : Houghton Mifflin.

Characters: Sir Lancelot, Knight of the Round Table. King Arthur, Sir Phelot, Recreant Knights (cowardly rival knights), Lady of Shallott, Queen Guinevere.

Setting: Camelot, surrounding areas, deep forest. Victorian Era.

Themes: Chivalry, Comedy, Heroism.

Genre: CSULB ETEC 545 Class 3, ETEC 545 Hero Story, Chapter Book. Heroism

Summary: The origin of Sir Lancelot as he earns a spot at King Arthur
Honya
In his Squires Tales series, Gerald Morris has already crafted a vibrant collection of retellings of Arthurian legend. Now as he begins his Knights Tales series with The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great, Morris once again embarks on a quest to bring new life, humor, and good sense to the tales of Arthur’s court. This books is written in a style that is appropriate for younger audiences, moving quickly, keeping the story line from becoming overly complicated, and avoiding the stickier parts o ...more
Kathleen
May 25, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sonlight
We all enjoyed these light-hearted stories about Sir Lancelot. A quick, easy read we will definitely pick up again.
Arthurian Lucre
I started this book knowing it was a book for children and quite humorous and even knowing that Lancelot was not my favourite arthrian character. Still, as an arthurian fan this book is really deicious. Among the three in the series it's probably the one with less connected chapters in the story (it seems more a collection than an only story) but it is also the funniest one.
This review is spoiler free so I won't say much, I'd only like to add that the story can be enjoyed by adults too and that
cookiemonger
Mar 05, 2016 cookiemonger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Having read some books in Gerald Morris's other Knights series, I was rather familiar with the way Lancelot was seen there. Genuinely skilled, but a self-important smeghead. I wasn't sure if I should expect this to be a bit of a lampooning on par with the wedding massacre in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

But no! It was actually a charming, simple set of stories about Sir Lancelot being he best at everything and rather mild-mannered. The read-aloud style of the story-telling and Morris's natura
Barb Middleton
"Camelot! Camelot! I know it sounds a bit bizarre!" I forgot the rest of the lyrics to this 1967 movie but I can hum the whole shebang for you if ya want just the tune. I'm sure if I Googled it, the rest would come flooding back with Richard Burton blasting the lyrics in his distinct baritone. I thought of that movie when I read this book, although "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is probably closer to the book's premise. Or maybe not. Monty Python's adultish humor is not very kidish (wink, win ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Everyone knows the story of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. And everyone knows that Sir Lancelot was the most famous and bravest night of the group. Mr. Morris has taken the story of Lancelot and made it entertaining and fun for readers of all ages.

THE ADVENTURES OF SIR LANCELOT THE GREAT is the first book in the new THE KNIGHTS' TALES series. In this retelling of Sir Lancelot, Mr. Morris makes Lancelot humorous and quite the whimsic
Leslie Barberie Blount
This book is a good beginning chapter book. The stories are funny, the pictures add a lot to the story and are humerous as well. I also liked that it introduces a character of classical literature in an way that will not only be easy for children to relate to, but also make them want to read more!
Joanne
These are outstanding variations on the Camelot adventures -- same characters, different tales. You must get the audio version, which has a marvelous actor doing all the voices and accents. The tales are funny and gripping and absolutely perfect for a long car trip with kids.

Love, love, love.
Jeana
I pulled this at random from the shelf of children's chapter books at the library. A fun, funny introduction to Sir Lancelot for kids, without the darker bits from the Arthurian legends. Some of the humor/wordplay is kind of subtle.

Books in Print info: Ages 8-12 y/o, grades 3-7, Lexile = 830.
Nick
Jun 18, 2008 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
A cute, funny retelling of some of the Arthurian stories...not quite parodies, but certainly not serious versions, involving Sir Lancelot. This is aimed at a much younger audience than his primary Arthurian series, and the tone is lighter, with numerous cartoony illustrations. My favorites of the stories are the REAL way that Sir Lancelot first met King Arthur, and the true story of the Knight of the Pillow, along with a much more interesting reason for him becoming a hermit for a while.
On the d
Theresa
Aug 22, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, g-3-4
Lancelot learns of land of knights with shiny armor and decides to leave his father and his homeland of France to join them. Caught in a rainstorm at the end of his journey, he becomes a muddy mess. While cleaning his armor, he is rudely interrupted by 16 knights. Cleaning his armor with his right hand, he defeats all 16 using his left. Unknowingly, he had stumbled upon a tournament in the kingdom of Sir Arthur. As the story unfolds, Lancelot saves damsels in distress, defeats every knight in th ...more
Jackie
The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great is a knightly story full of humor, chivalry, and jousting. In spite of himself, Sir Lancelot won every battle, squirmish, and tournament he found himself faced with. King Arthur loved him, as did his wife Queen Guinevere, and all the other knights of the round table. Yet, those pesky recreant knights wanted to defeat him at every turn, to no avail.

Ah...Sir Lancelot grew tired of the praise and glory and asked King Arthur to set him free so he may retire i
Liz Michaels
Jan 01, 2016 Liz Michaels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the book is written for juniors, it is good reading for anyone.
if you want something short, funny and well-written, I highly recommend this laughing out aloud story.
Simon
May 09, 2016 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not like it. The story is copied from every other knight story. Also Sir Lancelot is a horrible character and seems to stuck up to be a knight.
Miss
Sep 18, 2015 Miss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is an arthurian retelling where lancelot is a chill bro who likes naps and keeping his armor shiny. it's cute.

3 stars
Isabelle
My god this remember so much my childhood and when i start buying books for myself. I remnember I laugh so much reading this
Jeanette
Probably one of the more fun and humorous read-a-louds we have done. We actually picked this one out as a book for my son to read on his own (it makes a really great early chapter book and is only 92 pages long) but my daughter asked me to read it to her so we read it as a read-a-loud. So glad we did if not for any other reason than I got to try out some fun British accents (ha!)
The book relates several tales of Sir Lancelot, the bravest knight in King Arthur's court. He likes his armor shiny an
Melanie
The first in a quartet, Gerald Morris brings us The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great. The first in The Knight's Tales, each chapter is a different adventure experienced by Sir Lancelot. Young adventurers will thrill at knights, dragons, damsel's in distress and sword battles.

Also a great bedtime read-aloud for families.
Michael
Nov 20, 2015 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
My son and I enjoyed this light-hearted take on the tales from King Arthur 's court. He's a tough critic, though, giving three stars because "there are better books."
Gabes Lapinski
I chose this book because it could be done as a read aloud or for the end of second grade year.
Jan 16, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed Gerald Morris' books. He has such a way with humor that I cannot help but laugh out loud when I am reading this stories. Most of the time you will find me sitting there with his book in my hands and a smile across my face. This book was humorous, and I thought the plot was pretty good, if toned down a little bit, but only because it is a juvenile book. I would definitely recommend this book to readers who are fans of arthurian legends and comedy.

*Taken from my book reviews
Lydia Smith
Sep 18, 2015 Lydia Smith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-kids
Kids loved it but I thought the personality they gave Lancelot was a little cheesy.
Carolyn
May 28, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely light-hearted children's book. There are three more in the series.
Victor Vilchiz
Feb 21, 2014 Victor Vilchiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young
nice book to read to your child as they get ready to go to bed.
Emily
This was a very entertaining twist to the Sir Lancelot tale. I think children will like it not only because it has knights and fighting in it, but it's also very humerous. Morris takes what normally would seem like a serious event and turns it into something silly. I also like how there aren't any slow dull parts of the book. It's one adventure after another so the reader never gets bored.

I would have this book in my class library, and I'd recommend it to students who have a hard time getting in
Kristin
May 13, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little silly, but my boys loved it.
  • Tales of Robin Hood
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
  • Philomena
  • The Apprentice
  • The Dragon of Doom (Moongobble and Me #1)
  • The King's Equal
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • The Little Riders
  • The Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur: USA (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #1)
  • Wagon Wheels
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Captain Nobody
  • Passager (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #1)
  • Little Pear
  • The Case of the Gasping Garbage
Gerald Morris is known for his light yet addictive series of stories for preteen and teen readers based in the Middle Ages during the time of King Arthur. Collectively called "The Squire's Tales", the series includes The Squire's Tale, The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady, The Savage Damsel and The Dwarf, and Parsifal's Page. The books at the start of the series focus on Gawain, but primarily on T ...more
More about Gerald Morris...

Knights' Tales (4 books)
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
  • The Adventures of Sir Balin the Ill-Fated (Knights' Tales, #4)

“Thank you, Father," Sir Lancelot replied gratefully. "But ... er ... Father?" "Yes, Lancelot?" "You didn't say anything about my armor. Is it not shiny enough?” 4 likes
“Yes, Father. They have the bravest hearts, the noblest souls, and the shiniest armor in all the world." "Shiniest armor?" repeated King Ban.” 2 likes