Happy Birth Day!

Happy Birth Day!

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A perfect gift for baby showers! Great for new big brother and sisters!

A baby is born. From the first moments of her life, she is able to breathe, open her eyes, and gaze at her mother’s face. Soon she will nurse, suck her thumb, and sleep. With text as tender as a newborn’s cheek, Robie H. Harris tells a story to children about the day they were born, describing how loud...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Candlewick (first published 1996)

Susan
I remember reading this to Lola when she was a newborn and getting all choked up (of course that wouldn't be all that unusual with no sleep and the crazy hormones). Also nice that both of their books show breastfeeding moms - unfortunately too rare in picture books.
Kate
Happy Birth Day is an odd little book. It's not meant for babies but older children 3+. It emphasizes the instant love a new baby elicits and I can see it being a great way for parents to reinforce love with a little one. Perhaps a little one who's been particularly naughty? The book is deeply personal and the realistic drawers give it a more "real" feel than many baby books. I can't see using it for storytime but it's not a bad new baby book. Commerical review noted that the book starts with a...more
Jessica Levitt
This is a beautiful book. The illustrations by Michael Emberley are so realistic. After watching his video on TeachingBooks.net I see the book from his perspective. He put a lot of time and energy into researching live births and I appreciated his desire to create "larger than life" illustrations because the interactions with a newborn child are so intense and up close.
Recommended: read aloud for Elementary/Primary 2-8
Daniel
It is awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Heather Willis
Very realistic pictures, explains the process after a baby is born. Probably more appropriate to use at home than in a classroom.
Amanda
The baby illustrated for the birth in the hospital is scary! My son was scared by it and I dont blame him. The baby's face is SCARY!
K
Such a sweet book. Too bad there's such a medicalized birth back-drop.
Natalie
didn't capture my 3-year old's attention for re-readings.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Saraswathi Mukkai
Saraswathi Mukkai marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Emma Hipperson
Emma Hipperson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
May 15, 2014
Jenisia
Jenisia marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Heba
Heba marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Jonasanddelice
Jonasanddelice marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Sailas
Sailas added it
Sep 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Robie H. Harris has written many award-winning books for children of all ages, including the definitive Family Library about sexuality: IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL, IT'S SO AMAZING!, and IT'S NOT THE STORK! She lives in Massachusetts.
More about Robie H. Harris...
It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health (The Family Library) Maybe A Bear Ate It! It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends Mail Harry to the Moon!