Start by marking “Night Kills” as Want to Read:
Night Kills

Night Kills (Frank Quinn #3)

On The Trail Of A Bloody Killer.

Frank Quinn is sure he is hunting for a madman: someone who is shooting young women in the heart, defiling their bodies, leaving only the torsos to be found. Quinn, a former NYPD detective, is called into the case by an ambitious chief of police and mobilizes his team of brilliant law-enforcement misfits. But in the concrete canyons of New Y
Published October 1st 2008 by kensington (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Night Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Kills

Loretta Gibson
This was my first John Lutz book, I the book, but didn't love it. I liked the characters, each one got equal time, I'm not sure that worked for me. I found the plot rather unique. The story became predictable one we find out the reason for the murders. It was a little to graphic for me. I have Darker Than Night on my list of want to read.
خالد أمين
average thriller ..the whole book felt like an ok tv episode .. mostly amateur work .. but good amateur work at points.. weak protagonist killed the plot..
Darcia Helle
This book started with lots of promise. Then the plot inconsistencies began, and I found myself wondering why Lutz didn't keep track of details within his own story. Then the reason is revealed for the torsos being left out in public, which happens before the midway point, and the whole thing fell apart for me.

I can't point out the inconsistencies without giving spoilers, so I'll be vague. Certain evidence was altered along the way, in that medical examiners and detectives suddenly knew things
June Ahern

Night Kills by John Lutz didn't catch my interest the first few chapters. I almost gave up, but then the story turned around for me. The premises of why the killings take place is a good, unique one. That caught my attention. I cared much more for the murdered victims than the killers, and/or the cops chasing them. Their are twists, and turns, and enough to keep the story interesting. The main good guy characters detectives, Quinn, Pearl and a few others are doing their jobs, but I didn't get a
Bettie☯
Gail
Oct 24, 2014 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Lutz experience, and it does take a while to piece together all the different scenarios. I liek the original reason behind the events! I will get the first in the trilogy and read more. One point - am I the only person left bewildered by the fact that at victim 3 (I think) the new pathologist adds new information when she finds a splinter - so at least now we KNOW it is wood, not just guessing, but by victim 4 we suddenly know that the first three were one type of wood and this one is d ...more
laura m
Sep 05, 2014 laura m rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: north american crime fiction readers
Bill Shuey
Apr 02, 2015 Bill Shuey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night Kills is my first encounter with John Lutz - if all his books are as interesting and suspenseful as this one - I am hooked.

This book has a plot and several sub-plots which does not diminish from the general outline of the book in any way. Lutz brings all the characters together as the book nears its' ending and still has some surprises in store for us on the very last page.

A real page turner with twists and turns throughout.
Anna
Jul 11, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! It's very under-rated to me. His chapters are short but keep you intrigued throughout the whole book. I definitely recommend this series.

This book, especially, was creepy. Instead of using an online dating site to match people with each other, the dating site uses personal information to find potential body doubles for well-to-do people that "die" It's a great book.
Kevin C
Jul 24, 2011 Kevin C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read on my new Kindle, and what a good first choice it was! It was exciting, tense, and entertaining. The characters were true to life, the plot moved right along, and the final 'showdown' was so intense I stayed up way past my normal bed time because I couldn't put it down!
James Fitzgerald
I was disappointed with this book I had read darker the night by John lutz and thought it w
as exciting and I couldn't put it down. this book had the same characters and the writer just changed the serial killers mo. I figured out why he was killing women in the first 60 pages. ending was terrible.
nd
Sharon
Apr 30, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Lutz's way of telling the reader what all of the characters are thinking including the victims, antagonists and protagonists. The book is a great thriller, but be prepared for the gruesome death descriptions.
*~sandi~*
Nov 02, 2008 *~sandi~* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes thrillers/serial killers
It was pretty hard to put down! I'm addicted to the Detective Quinn books!
if you like thriller/serial killer related books, then this is the book to
read. Very unique I might say...gross but unique LOL
S.L. Ratigan
Feb 18, 2009 S.L. Ratigan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent mystery. A good plot, but also great characters. I could not decide between wanting to hurry up and finish it versus stretching out the enjoyment. Will definitely be buying more by this author!
May 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this book were too graphic for my taste. I found the story to be rushed in parts, especially the ending, and on a whole this book did not hold my attention. This is the first novel by Lutz I have read and I'm not in any hurry to read the other books in this series that's for sure.
Jeanne
Aug 08, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will make anyone think a lot before signing up with a dating agency as it's used to cherry pick the victims. The book swallows you into perfect romances and partners that are neither, and then there is the one that got away who sets justice in motion.
Jenn
Nov 14, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was somewhat disappointed with this Lutz novel. Most of his work leaves me sitting ok the edge of my seat. But in this one I kept wondering when it would be over, of something more exciting would happen. Not that I wouldn't read everything John Lutz writes as I still think he's brilliant.
Bookworm LLC
I liked this book, not as good as the others I have read, but still kept me reading. It seemed a bit disjointed and at first I had to work pretty hard to get into it. However, I think it is worth the read.
Patti
Mar 16, 2009 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy
Aug 04, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
467 pgs

A fast paced thriller about what appears to be like a serial killer, but that's just a cover-up. The book was good. It kept me interested to find out what would happen. I liked the characters, especially the detectives, they seemed like real people
Roxanne
Feb 13, 2011 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-killers
Another winner by John Lutz. Quinn, Pearl and Fedderman are back to stop another killer in NYC.
I really enjoy these books, they don't disappoint.

If you a fan of the cop/serial killer genre, give John Lutz a try.
Brian
Oct 14, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first John Lutz book. Even though it was the 3rd in the series, I was able to connect with the main character. I am now a Lutz, and Quinn fan. Can’t wait to start the first in the series.
Sandie
May 01, 2009 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of a trilogy, In for the Kill, Darker than Night. Great suspense, serial killer, dective series that will keep you up all night reading just to get to the end. The book will keep you guessing all the way to the end.
Melissa
Aug 06, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I different edge of your seat read. Although you could figure out do a certain extent who the killer was, you didn't connect all the dots and kept reading. Lots of action, and it wasn't the same old mystery/thriller book predictable plot line.
Luann
Jul 06, 2012 Luann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, crime
An interesting twist on identity theft. This book seemed a bit of a departure from previous novels in that you know up front who the killer is and their motive - unlike other John Quinn stories which leave you guessing while getting a look into the killer's past.
Amanda
Jan 13, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite Frank Quinn novel so far. I love John Lutz and Scott Brick is my favorite narrator ever so it was even better. On to #4 Urge to Kill!
Amy
Nov 15, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book. I was kind of unsure about it at first but after I got into it I was hooked. Not your typical serial killer fare
Tonya Warner
Better than I thought it would be after reading other reviews. Could have ended better, but overall was ok.
Allen
Oct 22, 2008 Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is one of the "night" series, with principle character Frank Quinn. this serie has always delivered and lutz did so again.
bookworm73
I like the plot and characters, but Lutz's writing style doesn't grab me. It's not as fast paced as I expect a suspense/mystery novel to be.
  • Mourn The Living
  • Rancid Pansies (Gerald Samper #3)
  • Rough Draft
  • Magical Mystery oder die Rückkehr des Karl Schmidt
  • Heartless
  • The New Girl (Downside, #3)
  • Acts of Honor
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Vicious
  • Das war ich nicht
  • MPD-Psycho, Volume 5
  • This Time Forever
  • Deed to Death
  • Dangerous Deception (The Protectors, #27)
  • Killer Instinct (Jessica Coran #1)
  • A Cold Dark Place (Emily Kenyon, #1)
  • The Night the Rich Men Burned
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Frank Quinn (10 books)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • Serial (Frank Quinn, #6)
  • Pulse (Frank Quinn, #7)
  • Twist (Frank Quinn, #8)
  • Frenzy (Frank Quinn, #9)
  • Slaughter (Frank Quinn, #10)