Start by marking “Greetings from Below” as Want to Read:
Greetings from Below

Greetings from Below

Winner of the Mary McCarthy Prize in short fiction, selected by David Means, and the University of Nevada's Silver Pen Award.
What would have become of Nick Adams if he'd been born along the ragged edges of a new American city, one with more churches per capita than any other, and twice the suicide rate? Meet Nick Danze, the main character of David Philip Mullins's vital de
Published January 18th 2011 by Sarabande Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Greetings from Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greetings from Below

Jim
Jan 08, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-west, small-press
Short stories in the realist mold loosely centered around Las Vegas. The first story, "Arboretum" is harrowing sexually charged coming-of-age story with disturbing imagery/scenes/consequences. The second is a boy meets girls story where the bartender and the prostitute both have hearts of gold--puh-lease--but the story took a turn at the end that made me squirm. So far so good... Reminds me a little bit of Tod Goldberg, but maybe that's a desert thing?

...

Now that I've finished the book it's very
Peter
Jan 17, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it
Honesty Alert: I know this author and read many of these stories in earlier forms.

Yet, the real pleasure of reading this book was getting to see them work as a cohesive whole. I really liked the way these stories circled the wreck of a few major incidents in the life of Nick Danze, coming at them in a pleasurably staggered way. Touchstones include: His father, who died in a sad and untimely manner. His mother's odd compulsive behaviors (one word: sugar). The endless cycle of deviant sex and gui
J. D.
Aug 02, 2013 J. D. rated it liked it
This is a powerful book. Like many powerful things you may not like it. My own reactions while reading looked like the display on an oscilloscope, up and down, rollercoastering around.

_Greetings_ is a collection of stories that are united by a common protagonist, Nick Danze, told in a mostly linear fashion from Nick's youth to his middle age. Nick is richly drawn and not always easy to identify with. At times I was repulsed by him, angered by him, disappointed in his choices and failures in judg
Hollowspine
Oct 07, 2011 Hollowspine rated it liked it
The first story is interesting, has some complexities to it, then the next story takes the same character further into his development and you can somewhat see how the boy from the first story became this neurotic person...but then it gets a bit weird. I did like the first couple stories, but then more and more I came to despise Nick and his bizarre and destructive ways. Each story seemed to convey the same message, which got old after awhile.

The writing was good, it was just the repetitive natu
Casey
Apr 14, 2012 Casey rated it really liked it
Great debut collection of linked stories. Mullins is able to write a collection of stories with a protagonist, Nick, that most will probably find at least mildly reprehensible, yet the insight Mullins gives us into Nick's psyche allows us to empathize with him. That's not easy to pull off, and Mullins should be commended for it.

Looking forward to whatever Mullins does next.
Jen McConnell
Apr 13, 2011 Jen McConnell rated it it was amazing
Just wonderful. David creates an exceptional voice in these stories and leaves you wanting more. Loved how the descriptions of Las Vegas are so vivid and make the city/landscape another character in the book.
Dani
Jul 05, 2011 Dani added it
Okay - I wrote a bad review of this book, but I had it mixed up with GET ME OUT OF HERE (which I didn't like at all). This is okay - another, messed up young man trips through life - Jonathan Tropper goes to Vegas.
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2012
Dec 28, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Best book I read all year. Superb.
Darrenl
Darrenl rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it did not like it
Aug 27, 2012
Orville Williams
Orville Williams rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Dominique Outouen
Dominique Outouen rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2011
Michael Beeman
Michael Beeman rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Hobson
Hobson rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2011
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2011
Paula Anderson
Paula Anderson rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Denise Powell
Denise Powell rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2011
Philip
Philip rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2015
Amy Oxenford
Amy Oxenford rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Jody Sperling
Jody Sperling rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Frank Wees
Frank Wees rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Josh Rolnick
Aug 20, 2011 Josh Rolnick rated it it was amazing
Fantastic debut short story collection.
April
April rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Sarabande Books
Sarabande Books rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2011
Lauren Lanza
Lauren Lanza rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2013