Start by marking “Desperate Hearts” as Want to Read:
Desperate Hearts

Desperate Hearts

After dispatching his sister's murderer, bounty hunter Jace Rankin is hired by skinny youth Kyle Springer to help regain his ranch from vigilantes. Along the way Jace learns that Kyle is really Kyla, the young widow of an old friend. She wants revenge for the murder of her husband. Jace hopes that helping her will atone for a critical error he made years earlier. Neither e ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published June 14th 2010 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published December 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Desperate Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desperate Hearts

Jace Rankin may be short, but he’s nothing to mess with, as the man who was just hauled out of the saloon by the undertaker knows now. He’s a famous bounty hunter in Oregon in the 1890s who, when he shot the man in the saloon, just finished a years long quest to avenge his sister’s murder and is now trying to figure out what to do next. When the snotty-nosed farm boy he just rescued from a gang of bullies offers him money to kill a man who forced him off his ranch, he reluctantly agrees to bring ...more
Varied Books
Sep 15, 2016 Varied Books marked it as on-kindle-to-read  ·  review of another edition
On sale for .99. The H is short ugh I like mine tall. Oh well for .99 I'll give this a try.
Apr 21, 2015 Kristiej rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really had forgotten how much I enjoy Alexis Harrington’s books. I think I last read them back in the 90’s so reading them again is like visiting beloved friends I haven’t seen in years but have very fond memories of. Because it was so long ago that I read them and I’ve read so many since then, the only thing I really remember is the feeling of comfort they give, not so much the story itself.
Desperate Hearts is the story of Jace Rankin. He was the bounty hunter from Homeward Hearts who relent
Aug 01, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jace Rankin is a bounty hunter with a reputation for getting his man. When a boy who is being bullied by a group of miners asks him to kill a man who forced him off his ranch, Jace agrees that he will bring the guy to justice but not kill him. But first he must make a detour to find a friend.

Kyla Springer has been riding the trails for the last month searching for Jace Rankin. Disguised as a boy, Kyla needs Jace to get revenge on the man who killer her husband and took her ranch. When a confront
Mary B.
This book definitely had a crescendo type of flow. It was a very slow build, almost painfully slow. I considered putting this one down after getting about 1/3 of the way into it because it just felt like it was taking forever to get to any kind of point. I stuck with it, though, because I really like this author and I know she usually delivers. And she did. It turned out pretty good. And the rest of the book was very nice.

Alexis Harrinton definitely has a formula to her books for the build-up o
Jacky Faber
This follows "Homeward Hearts" and picks up Jace Rankin's story. I don't know what it is, but something was missing in this novel. It took me a week to read which is very unusual for me. I couldn't get a handle on Kyla. Her personality was vague to me and the plot was too slow and didn't interest me. Race was a good character and he was the only thing that kept me interested in the book.

A much better novel about a dangerous journey in the West is " Texas Destiny" by Lorraine Heath, about Houston
Jan 07, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked this up to read, I didn't realize it was spin off to Alexis Harrington's "Homeward Hearts", which I read a few months ago. This has to be, thus far, my favorite book by Alexis Harrington. I absolutely adored Jace.
Mar 16, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be one of my favorite from Alexis Harrington, though it seemed to be an intensely quick read. There's plenty of drama, but the characters also grow over the course of the story-- I love when that happens!
Apr 04, 2012 Eesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swoon, where are men like this our generation! I love Jace Rankin, what he lacks in size, he more than makes up for in personality! I will definitely read more of her books in the future!
Carley Merckling
Slow build, very slow... But realistic in a way. Which is commendable. I love the character Jace, the bounty hunter that helps Kayla. Overall an enjoyable read, but nothing special. I would still check the author's other books though, her style is pretty interesting.
Feb 04, 2015 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Desperately needs editing. Maybe it's just the kindle version but...

The plot & story were about 3 stars but irksome to read with editing flaws.
Sedoo Ashivor
Most reviewers seem to like Jace Rankin. I, not so much. I think he and Kyla were OK together but many things didn't come together for me. She's supposed to be this brave girl who had been on the trail on her own with a gun (that she's already used!) for some time before she caught up with Jace but she still sounded too afraid for him and too wondering of him shooting the bad guys to defend them both. It was irksome. I don't understand why she was sooooo afraid of him, I just didn't get it.
The s
Sylvia Lytle
Sylvia Lytle marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Megg Bartlett
Megg Bartlett rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2016
SJ rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
angelina hsu
angelina hsu rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Kat marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Nana marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Sarah rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2016
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
KM rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Sharon Roush
Sharon Roush rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Charlie rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Janet Mace
Janet Mace rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Jennifer Leighton
Jennifer Leighton marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Shannon Brady bardsher
Shannon Brady bardsher rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Preads rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
wendyj marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
  • The Stranger
  • The Outlaw (Willow Creek, #2)
  • Rachel and the Hired Gun (Men of Defiance, #1)
  • Her Hesitant Heart
  • Tame a Wild Heart (Tame, #1)
  • Romancing Olive
  • After All (Cassidy Men, #1)
  • Run Into the Wind
  • Rafe's Redemption
  • Reese (Rock Creek Six, #1)
  • A Wife for Big John
  • Hannah's Vow
  • The Gunslinger's Untamed Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Harder Than the Rest  (The MacLarens of Fire Mountain, #3)
  • Sullivan (Rock Creek Six, #2)
  • Sing My Name
  • Texas Twilight (McCutcheon Family, #2)
  • Diablo (Texans, #1)
I've been a self-employed working novelist for the past twenty years. Of all the books I've written I've had just one foreign sale, and that was THE IRISH BRIDE, which was translated into Norwegian, where I understand it was a big hit.

I also make jewelry and I'm a fine needlework artist, specializing in embroidery, thread crochet, and sewing. I love to cook, read, entertain friends, decorate, and
More about Alexis Harrington...