Start by marking “Great Food, All Day Long: Cook Splendidly, Eat Smart” as Want to Read:
Great Food, All Day Long: Cook Splendidly, Eat Smart

Great Food, All Day Long: Cook Splendidly, Eat Smart

“At one time, I described myself as a cook, a driver, and a writer. I no longer drive, but I do still write and I do still cook. And having reached the delicious age of eighty-one, I realize that I have been feeding other people and eating for a long time. I have been cooking nearly all my life, so I have developed some philosophies.”

Renowned and beloved author Maya Angel
Published December 14th 2010 by Random House (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Great Food, All Day Long, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Food, All Day Long

Dana Cardinal
Jan 07, 2017 Dana Cardinal rated it really liked it
Shelves: skimmed
Not just a cookbook, but describes Maya Angelou's philosophy on enjoying food and health. (TLDR: Enjoy great food and don't worry about it, just serve smaller portions)
Tamara
Not my favorite Maya Angelou and not my favorite cookbook, but I still enjoy her strong, even, comforting tone. Might try the Orange Syrup recipe, as I'm not a huge fan of maple syrup.

Favorite Quotes:

Whenever the house resists you, the kitchen can be made into your ally. Start there first, and start with soup.

If someone draws a circle and leaves you out, you draw a bigger circle and include them in it.

Shoshana
Feb 20, 2013 Shoshana rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
It's funny that I gave this four stars, because I only copied out one or two recipes. But Maya Angelou is such a luminous writer and such a formidable yet likable character, with a voice that comes through so clearly even in, it turns out, a cookbook... that I couldn't help it! Reading it was flat out pleasurable, and I recommend it even to non-cooks.
Jenny
Feb 22, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of pie recipes to try in this, but the best parts are, predictably, where she writes rather than recipes. For example, Maya Angelou unabashedly loved hot dogs, and was an unrepentant carnivore to the point of writing poems about it. And that's awesome.
Bridget Hardy
Oct 13, 2015 Bridget Hardy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real comfort food

This book is as warm and comforting as the lady herself! The recipes are a mix of southern and international dishes, which is just so fresh and interesting.
Michelle Cristiani
Feb 20, 2014 Michelle Cristiani rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
The recipes are pretty good, but the stories trump everything. I could eat the stories for dinner and dessert and be pretty satisfied.
Keisha Bowman
May 07, 2015 Keisha Bowman rated it liked it
Not my favorite Maya Angelou book, but the recipes are good, and I love being able to hear Maya's voice in my mind as I read this. Love her voice.
Bobbigalvin
There is more to Ms. Angelou than poetry. As with her last cookbook though, the stories were better than the recipes.
Mom - Joanne
Mar 20, 2011 Mom - Joanne rated it liked it
Corn bread and pork roast recipes sound delicious orange syrup is great idea. Adding honey to orange juice is mouthwatering idea.
Clare
Feb 26, 2011 Clare rated it it was ok
I adore Maya Angelou's novels and poetry but didn't find anything special that would make me wish to own this cookbook.
Patience Virtue
Patience Virtue rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2016
Connie Carbary
Connie Carbary rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Lisa Ricks
Lisa Ricks rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Keva
Keva rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
San
San rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Marianthi
Marianthi rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
Traci Purcell
Traci Purcell rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Marlene Scales
Marlene Scales rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Maxine mock
Maxine mock rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Tandra
Tandra rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2017
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Laura Laiben
Laura Laiben rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Manuela Pereira
Manuela Pereira rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Sasha
Sasha rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Lisa
Jan 16, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Not one recipe that I wanted to try!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
  • The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 "Rooster Sauce" Recipes that Pack a Punch
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy: A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes
  • Alice's Tea Cup: Delectable Recipes for Scones, Cakes, Sandwiches, and More from New York’s Most Whimsical Tea Spot
  • A Love Affair With Southern Cooking: Recipes And Recollections
  • The Minimalist Cooks Dinner: More Than 100 Recipes for Fast Weeknight Meals and Casual Entertaining
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • Top Secret Recipes Unlocked: All New Home Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • Good Luck Life: The Essential Guide to Chinese American Celebrations and Culture
  • Eva's Kitchen: Cooking with Love for Family and Friends
  • The Bartender's Bible: 1001 Mixed Drinks and Everything You Need to Know to Set Up Your Bar
  • Confessions of a French Baker: Breadmaking Secrets, Tips, and Recipes
  • The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was n ...more
More about Maya Angelou...