Start by marking “Pure Goldwater” as Want to Read:
Pure Goldwater

Pure Goldwater

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Barry Goldwater was a defining figure in American public life, a firebrand politician associated with an optimistic brand of conservatism. In an era in which American conservatism has lost its way, his legacy is more important than ever. For over fifty years, in those moments when he was away from the political fray, Senator Goldwater kept a private journal, recording his...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 10th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pure Goldwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Goldwater

Karen
All I knew about Barry Goldwater was that he was a conservative, hard-line Republican and that I could tease Steven about having been a Young Republican for Goldwater in '64 before he was old enough to vote. This book, a collection of Goldwater's journal entries, letters and speeches, gives a very thorough look at the man and his convictions. I have much more respect for his integrity and his political savvy now that I've read it.
Bob Miller
This volume is an edited collection of journal entries, letters, and speeches spanning the years from pre-political businessman to retired senior statesman.

This is not great reading as Goldwater is an average writer (by admission) and the entries are unbalanced with an unfortunate and unavoidable, according to the editors, lack of entries covering his presidential campaign and a surfeit of material covering Nixon and Watergate (John Dean anyone).

I did come away with the following:

-Goldwater fail...more
Emily

Prior to reading this book, I had known little if anything, about Barry Goldwater as a person. This book enables the reader to understand him and get know him on a personal level.

Pure Goldwater is a collection of journal entries, letters, personal writings, speeches, and articles that Barry wrote throughout his life. Because the majority of the text is written by Barry from his perspective, with the exception of text written from the authors to explain contextual information about where the wri

Dennis
Very eye opening book of letters, notes and speeches from Barry Goldwater. I always thought of Goldwater in the terms of today's conservatives, but his ideas of conservatism have major differences from those who claim the banner today. The best parts of the books were his relationship with Nixon and the changes that took place during his presidency and the Watergate scandal and the his thoughts over the years of select topics that are still pertinent today. Althought not of fan of any political...more
Thom
This book ties in with my current interest in American Presidents, from JFK forward. Lots of interesting details in this book, although a little dry in sections. It's basically culled from diary logs and letters. I didn't know Goldwater was Jewish; that he was friends with John F Kennedy; that he had good reason to lose respect for Richard Nixon and John McCain; that he loved the outdoors; that his first profession was running the family department store. What really sold me on him was that he e...more
Socraticgadfly
Call it "Pure BS" or "The Hypocrisy of a Conservative"

Goldwater can't admit he was wrong about the Vietnam War.

Even worse, he, as a typical Western libertarian conservative, can say things such as "sell the Tennessee Valley Authority" but yet, never call on the Bureau of Reclamation to privatize the dams and damned lakes on the Colorado.

So, why 4 stars?

Precisely because this book well shows his hypocrisy, and secondarily, because it shows that, while John Dean regularly criticized W, he's no l...more
J. Ewbank
This book by Dean and Goldwater Jr. is not an apology for Goldwater's political life. Instead, they took letters and speeches etc. of Goldwater's and presented them. I liked Barry Goldwater even though not always agreeing with him because I thought he was honest and giving us his honest opinion. This book bears that thought out. Interesting reading and I was especially happy with the good relationship between Barry and his wife, unlike so many politicians today.

J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesley's...more
Chris Dean
A collection of diary entries and speeches compiled by Goldwater's son and John Dean of Watergate infamy. I bought this book in 2012 at my local dollar store and noticed that it was released during the 2008 political campaign season. I wondered if it's release was designed to detract from the McCain campaign since there are portions dedicated to their relationship and falling out. I enjoyed reading Goldwater's reflections on Watergate as it was happening; it would have been nice to read somethin...more
Greg Powers
This paints a cool portrait of Barry Goldwater's life mostly from his own writings, journals, etc. I was a little disappointed that it didn't focus so much on the policies he advocated, I would have liked to get inside his head a little more when it came to his political philosophy. It is a great read for someone who wants to understand politics, politicians, and how the game is played.
Greg
Great read. It gave me a better appreciation for Barry Goldwater's life and background. He should be a role model for all government personnel - truthful, honest who does not play the politician's game.
Jon Goering
behind the scenes of how the conservative party started. Very interesting reading
Craig J.
Pure Goldwater by John W. Dean (2008)
Alex
Jun 18, 2008 Alex is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far so good.
Rachel Fritz
Rachel Fritz is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
William Haggard
William Haggard marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Wendyb
Wendyb marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Q
Q marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Christopher Wensley
Christopher Wensley marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John W. Dean served as White House Counsel for United States President Richard Nixon from July 1970 until April 1973. In this position, he became deeply involved in events leading up to the Watergate burglaries and the subsequent Watergate scandal cover-up. He was referred to as the "master manipulator of the cover-up" by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). He pleaded guilty to a single fel...more
More about John W. Dean...
Conservatives Without Conscience Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush Blind Ambition: The White House Years Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches Warren G. Harding (The American Presidents, #29)