Start by marking “Rejoice! Rejoice!: Britain in the 1980s” as Want to Read:
Rejoice! Rejoice!: Britain in the 1980s

Rejoice! Rejoice!: Britain in the 1980s

The 1980s may seem to many of us like yesterday, but they are already two decades ago. Not only have we already become nostalgic for them, but in many ways the decade does seem like a thoroughly foreign country. This book offers and in-depth history of the decade.
Published June 1st 2010 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rejoice! Rejoice!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rejoice! Rejoice!

Veronica
Apr 13, 2014 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle
At the beginning of the 1980s, I was poor and footloose, living from one short-term contract to another. At the end, I was well-off: married, a mortgage, a nice house in a good area, a well-paid job. I was in the part of the population Thatcherism was designed to help.That doesn't stop it being my least favourite decade. The events that mark it for me are the Falklands War, the miners' strike, the dispute at Wapping, Greenham Common.

When Mrs Thatcher entered Downing Street for the first time, s
Rob Adey
Oct 21, 2014 Rob Adey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must have watched the news (and indeed Newsround) almost every day of the 80s, but with basically zero - and only very slightly increasing over time - comprehension. So this was quite a cosy read of a history book for me - I felt like I was cheating by having spent ten years 'revising' the names of everyone and basic events. Rejoice! Rejoice! filled in the details in an agreeably breezy fashion, albeit with a weird amount of quotes from the novels of Mark Lawson.
Gavin Smith
An interesting and engaging summary of events political and cultural in Britain during the 1980s. Turner covers both high and low culture but always manages to pull everything together into a central thesis. Nothing feels extraneous. He draws from a variety of different sources, including politicians, musicians, comedians and literary extracts, for quotations and viewpoints of the decade. I see in some other reviews that this book is seen as overly critical of the Thatcher government(s). I can't ...more
Dave High
Mar 26, 2014 Dave High rated it it was amazing
Just needed to remind myself exactly why everyone should hate Thatcher. Job done.
Jim
Sep 22, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The Eighties. What do you remember? It’s a fair bet that what will spring to mind are things that will be covered in this entertaining history and overview of the decade as it jumps from the inevitable focus on politics to the more ephemeral flotsam and jetsam of contemporary culture. Pop music, television, art and literature are given as much space, almost, as Thatcherism. It’s a very Britiish-centric account too, which is a good thing as it would be easy to place a big focus on Reagan or ...more
Jon Arnold
Feb 10, 2015 Jon Arnold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Margaret Thatcher’s association with a decade of British politics remains a feat unique in modern times – no other politician had the longevity or personality to dominate a decade quite as she did. As such, though it’s structured to cover a single decade much as Turner’s other books are, it’s an admirably coherent account and an entertaining gallop through what remains a controversial decade.

Turner’s approach is similar to that of Dominic Sandbrook’s, though his use of longer timescales means h
Cheryl Lomas
Jul 28, 2016 Cheryl Lomas rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was recommended to me by a work colleague as he'd really enjoyed it too.
It's basically a social history of the 1980's starting with Mrs Thatcher becoming Prime Minister and ending with her being ousted ! It covers all aspects of that period with sport, tv, politics, music and other themes and personalities that were important to that particular period of time.
It has been written in a totally unbiased way which was refreshing and I found the whole book a trip down
Jeff Howells
Jul 25, 2015 Jeff Howells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, given the current state of British politics this is good reminder of how things were in the 80s. Turner is definitely the most entertaining of those batch of historians who are writing about British Post War history. He sets out his stall as covering High Politics & Low Culture and succeeds with a very dry wit...(how often can you say that about a history book?). I read his book on the 70s, and will definitely check out his book on the 90s. Turns out he's currently writing one about the ...more
Jayne
Sep 18, 2013 Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was aged 6-16 in the 80s, so have a fairly good recollection about events, but a lot of it is pretty vague, so this really filled in the gaps. It is a very interesting book and flows extremely well through the decade. There is a heavy focus on the politics of the time and especially Margaret Thatcher, but it also seamlessly weaves in cultural aspects ranging from the rise of alternative comedians to the top TV shows and music of the day. I am now reading the 90s version!
Chris Steeden
This is more of a I do not like Thatcher book than an amusing romp through all things 80's.

Here is the summary:

Thatcher = Bad
Kinnock = Good
Billy Bragg = Good
Crass = Good

Apparently that's all you need to know.

The only reason I gave it a three instead of a two is that the book is written in an engaging way.

Oh and Napalm Death are from Ipswich are they?. Dear-oh-dear. Seems that Alwym does not know his 80's grindcore. Shame on him. :-)
Ipswichblade
Oct 26, 2010 Ipswichblade rated it it was amazing
Alwyn W Turner is a superb writer and this book on Britain in the 1980s is an excellent book. as well as the main events Turner concentrates on popular culture. A worthy follow up to his book on the seventies
Gareth Evans
Dec 02, 2011 Gareth Evans rated it it was amazing
Cracking mixture of high politics and low culture - or should it be the other way round? Excellent survey of the 1980s. Turner's ability to segue from subject to subject is only rivalled by Kynaston's.
Reza Amiri Praramadhan
Sep 04, 2016 Reza Amiri Praramadhan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-ebooks
A comprehensive reading about most aspects of life in Britain during Thatcher Era. Also featuring the Labour Party struggle to survive. The author's way of narration defeats its sheer number of pages, which means this book is an entertaining experience overall.
Jon Chaisson
Jan 25, 2016 Jon Chaisson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Turner, a continuation from his 'Crisis? What Crisis?' book on UK in the 70s. Turner is fast becoming one of my favorite historians to read.
Saul
Jul 17, 2012 Saul rated it really liked it
Very well put together: the heavy, but admittedly interesting, political stuff is cut-up with more immediately accessible pop culture pieces.
John W
Dec 09, 2015 John W rated it really liked it
I disegree with his argument, but his anaysis is top-notch. Easily the best single volume on the subject.
Steve
Jan 06, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
Great political and cultural overview of the Thatcher years. There are some irritating factual errors however, which prevent it from gaining five stars
Melanie Trigger
Melanie Trigger rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
James Wilson
James Wilson rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Michael Oliver
Michael Oliver rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
George Rigakos
George Rigakos rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Chris Stanley
Chris Stanley rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Mjstevens1
Mjstevens1 rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2011
Mark Harding
Mark Harding rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Robert Dunning
Robert Dunning rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
  • When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies
  • White Heat: A History of Britain in the Swinging Sixties
  • The End Of The Party
  • Decline & Fall: Diaries 2005 2010
  • Sacred Causes: The Clash of Religion and Politics, from the Great War to the War on Terror
  • Who Are We   And Should It Matter In The 21st Century?
  • Letters to My Grandchildren: Lessons for the Future
  • Gladstone: A Biography
  • The Case of the Pope: Vatican Accountability for Human Rights Abuse
  • Reflections on the Revolution In Europe: Immigration, Islam, and the West
  • Millions Like Us: Women's Lives in War and Peace 1939-1949
  • Philip Larkin: Life, Art and Love
  • ¡Guerra!: Living in the Shadows of the Spanish Civil War
  • The Thirties: An Intimate History

“If Mrs Thatcher wins on Thursday, I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to get old.” 0 likes