Start by marking “Barenaked Ladies: Public Stunts, Private Stories” as Want to Read:
Barenaked Ladies: Public Stunts, Private Stories

Barenaked Ladies: Public Stunts, Private Stories

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
From geeks in short pants to multiplatinum artists, Barenaked Ladies are nothing less than a phenomenon. Now, for the first time in the United States, we can read their astonishing story.
Steven, Ed, Jim, Tyler, and Kevin have two Grammy nominations under their belts, they've appeared on The Tonight Show and Saturday Night Live, and their music is featured in commercials.
Published October 2nd 2003 by Touchstone (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Barenaked Ladies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barenaked Ladies

Andrew
Jan 04, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
Many other reviews here on goodreads refer to the author "trying to hard to be funny." While a slight shave in the editing process might have increased readability, I found the author's wordplay fitting because it was interspersed with the Ladies brainy lyrics and intense inter-band, brain-teasing, vocabulary games. I got the sense that living with the Ladies meant being on your verbal toes; a gang of cerebral songwriters don't make for the most straight forward narrative.

Where the biography suc
Tiffany
Aug 13, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, bio_autobio
I liked this book. I'm not a HUGE, DIEHARD Barenaked Ladies fan, so I'm not an expert on whether anything was left out of the book, or written in such a way that made the author sound like he didn't know what he was talking about, but the book seemed like a good enough history of the band. There were a few times when it seemed like Myers had skipped over stuff or made jumps from one event to another that should have been more logically connected, but it was still good. Unlike many of the other r ...more
Matt Sadorf
Sep 11, 2013 Matt Sadorf rated it really liked it
This here is a great insight into one of my favorite bands. It takes you from the start up until about 2002, and it really is fun to see how the band took shape. This book was written before the big shake up, and so I was left feeling nostalgic, and wondering how a book covering that time period would go, but I definitely enjoyed reading this book and learning some things I wouldn't have otherwise known.

This book is written in a manner that entertains while it informs, and it doesn't shy away fr
Jamnjazzz
Jan 07, 2016 Jamnjazzz rated it it was ok
Good for the history, the writing style was a bit choppy and it jumped around a bit...but overall insightful.
Paula
Jan 20, 2008 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: autographed
Myers tries way too hard to be funny. I read the "Canadian" edition, so hopefully the "American" one (pictured) has had some of the glaring grammatical errors corrected.
Jessi
Jul 27, 2011 Jessi rated it really liked it
I was a relatively "late" fan of BNL so this was a nice way to learn more about the history behind the band. A good read; would have loved more pictures though!
LeeAnn
Jul 19, 2009 LeeAnn rated it it was ok
Huge fan of the band and finally got around to reading the book. The author is too concerned about making himself seem witty than just talking about the bank.
Dominick
Aug 24, 2015 Dominick rated it it was ok
This is a very disappointing band biography that amounts to little more than a puff piece and that was edited with a spatula. Completed May 16, 2005.
Benn Jones
Jul 26, 2012 Benn Jones rated it really liked it
A band that is still going so its hard to get al the facts down pat but Paul Myers has seemed to have done the trick.
Valerie
Jan 07, 2010 Valerie rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010, own
Author tries way too hard to be funny/witty. Pretty agonizing to read.
Amanda L. Todd
Amanda L. Todd rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2015
Tom Oldale
Tom Oldale marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Connie Norman
Connie Norman rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Whittney
Whittney marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
a l i c i a  n u s k e
a l i c i a n u s k e marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Kendra Kuhl
Kendra Kuhl rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Matthew Stetz
Matthew Stetz marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Michael Stetz
Michael Stetz marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Colin Waldschutz
Colin Waldschutz rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Laura added it
Aug 02, 2015
Dan Kennedy
Dan Kennedy rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Melody
Melody is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Crystal McClean
Crystal McClean is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Chris Brnjas
Chris Brnjas rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015