Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook

Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  10 reviews
""As an author, editor, and publisher, I never paid much attention to the competition-except in a few cases. This is one of those cases. The UNIX System Administration Handbook is one of the few books we ever measured ourselves against." " -From the Foreword by Tim O'Reilly, founder of O'Reilly Media ""This book is fun and functional as a desktop reference. If you use UNIX...more
Published July 14th 2010 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook

finisherr
I've got to be honest in saying that I did not read this cover to cover, but instead, scanned over it to get a general working knowledge of what I would need know to work in systems administration. If you have no idea what linux administration entails, then this is a good start. You can take each subject further supplemental reading and research.
Ann
Feb 15, 2014 Ann is currently reading it
Like most technical books, this is not something I will read once and set aside, but rather use as a reference over and over (I am not a systems admin, but a motivated end user). Even though I haven't yet read it through I'm giving it five stars; the parts I have read are thorough, relatively easy to understand, and sprinkled with a pinch of humor--something that helps an otherwise dry subject matter go down easier, so to speak. Definitely recommended.
Alex
Perfect book on Linux/Unix administration (although BSD is missing, not very important, we have Michael Lucas).
Very detailed (1300 pages), personal experiences shared on various topics and nice humor :)
Alex Maccabi
One of the greatest books for every sysadmin.
not designed to teach you how to run Linux in your basement.
this book is targeted to larger system deployments and real world large systems.
Josiah
Good review/reference. Just searching the internet for specific things is probably better, but sometimes it's good to have everything in one place.

Edit: Great for tests. Memorize!
Ajitabh Pandey
An excellent Hands on reference for unix systems administrators. It covers all major flavors of unix class of operating systems such as linux, bsd, solaris...

A must have on the desk.
Takedown
Good book about system administration of UNIX system. Last edition was a great add on to want i read in Linux system administration handbook. Must read!
عَبدُالكَرِيمْ  الهاشمي
Very VERY detailed. No more scary linux commands after this book ;)
Jose
Must read if you want to become a Unix power user or a SysAdmin.
Phildobbin
absolutely indispensable. Need two copies...
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
John Sage
John Sage marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Ast1ra
Ast1ra marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Andriss
Andriss marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
John Pradeep
John Pradeep marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Sofarsogood
Sofarsogood marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Excel102075
Excel102075 marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Aron
Aron is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Emily Xia
Emily Xia marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
jjxt
jjxt is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Alan Ortiz pimentel
Alan Ortiz pimentel is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Ryan D
Ryan D added it
Sep 06, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
David Abraham
David Abraham marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
  • DNS and BIND
  • Web Operations: Keeping the Data On Time
  • The Unix Programming Environment
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Masterminds of Programming: Conversations with the Creators of Major Programming Languages
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Linux Kernel Development
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
UNIX System Administration Handbook Linux Administration Handbook unix administration handbook Administracion De Sistemas Linux 2008/ Linux System Administration 2008 Manual completo do Linux