Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook

Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  10 reviews

The twentieth anniversary edition of the worldOs best-selling UNIX system administration book has been made even more invaluable by adding coverage of the leading Linux distributions: Ubuntu, RHEL, and openSUSE. This book approaches system administration in a practical way and is an invaluable reference for both new administrators and experienced professionals. It details...more
Published January 1st 1900 by Prentice Hall

To ask other readers questions about Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook

finisherr
I've got to be honest in saying that I did not read this cover to cover, but instead, scanned over it to get a general working knowledge of what I would need know to work in systems administration. If you have no idea what linux administration entails, then this is a good start. You can take each subject further supplemental reading and research.
Ann
Feb 15, 2014 Ann is currently reading it
Like most technical books, this is not something I will read once and set aside, but rather use as a reference over and over (I am not a systems admin, but a motivated end user). Even though I haven't yet read it through I'm giving it five stars; the parts I have read are thorough, relatively easy to understand, and sprinkled with a pinch of humor--something that helps an otherwise dry subject matter go down easier, so to speak. Definitely recommended.
Alex
Perfect book on Linux/Unix administration (although BSD is missing, not very important, we have Michael Lucas).
Very detailed (1300 pages), personal experiences shared on various topics and nice humor :)
Alex Maccabi
One of the greatest books for every sysadmin.
not designed to teach you how to run Linux in your basement.
this book is targeted to larger system deployments and real world large systems.
Josiah
Good review/reference. Just searching the internet for specific things is probably better, but sometimes it's good to have everything in one place.

Edit: Great for tests. Memorize!
Ajitabh Pandey
An excellent Hands on reference for unix systems administrators. It covers all major flavors of unix class of operating systems such as linux, bsd, solaris...

A must have on the desk.
Takedown
Good book about system administration of UNIX system. Last edition was a great add on to want i read in Linux system administration handbook. Must read!
عَبدُالكَرِيمْ  الهاشمي
Very VERY detailed. No more scary linux commands after this book ;)
Jose
Must read if you want to become a Unix power user or a SysAdmin.
Phildobbin
absolutely indispensable. Need two copies...
Telorian
Telorian marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Gaurav Lall
Gaurav Lall marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Islam
Islam is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Kawai
Kawai is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Ahmet Fuat
Ahmet Fuat marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Lars
Lars is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2014
Rúben Enes
Rúben Enes marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Gautam Gopalakrishnan
Gautam Gopalakrishnan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
  • DNS and BIND
  • Web Operations: Keeping the Data On Time
  • The Unix Programming Environment
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Masterminds of Programming: Conversations with the Creators of Major Programming Languages
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Linux Kernel Development
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
UNIX System Administration Handbook Linux Administration Handbook unix administration handbook Administracion De Sistemas Linux 2008/ Linux System Administration 2008 Manual completo do Linux