Start by marking “Indian Summer of a Forsyte (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Indian Summer of a Forsyte (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1.5)

Indian Summer of a Forsyte (The Forsyte Chronicles #1.5)

In a short interlude after The Man of Property, Galsworthy delves into the newfound friendship between Irene and Old Jolyon Forsyte (June's grandfather, and by now the owner of the house Soames had built). This attachment gives Old Jolyon pleasure, but exhausts his strength. He leaves Irene money in his will with Young Jolyon, his son, as trustee. In the end Old Jolyon die ...more
Published June 1st 2002 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Indian Summer of a Forsyte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indian Summer of a Forsyte

Rosana
Sep 21, 2013 Rosana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, favorites
This book was a complete surprise. The truth is that I didn’t even realized I had bought it, as it came with the Audible version of The Man of Property: The Forsyte Saga, the first book in the Forsyte Saga. But what a lovely surprise it was.

I cannot remember reading about aging and approaching death with such candor. Jolyon is 85 years old, and as his life approaches its end, his perception of beauty and love sharpens.

If in the previous book in the Forsyte saga, John Galsworthy impressed me wi
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

~BLISSFUL PASSAGE~
The Forsyte Saga, Book Two (Interlude)

There are blissful times in life, and when such times precede the inevitable passage through death, they are double blessed. The ability to see Beauty and to stay in awe in its face is a trait to treasure. But we write less about it; we are too polite to talk about it; but we need Beauty and we need old people in our lives, too. It is through their will to live and feel and experience that we learn the meaning of everything. We are willing
K.M. Weiland
Feb 25, 2013 K.M. Weiland rated it liked it
Old Jolyon was easily the most likable and sympathetic character in A Man of Property, so, while it's sad to see him exit the series, it's also a pleasure to get to spend more time with him. This short installment is necessarily less sordid than its predecessor, and so I enjoyed it quite a bit more. Its musings on life and death are thought-provoking, even if the short length keeps the story as a whole from reaching any great depth.
Caterina
Feb 29, 2016 Caterina rated it it was amazing
A pearl. How beautiful! As much as I appreciated the social satire of A Man of Property, I loved more this nuanced exploration of the human condition -- that inner tension between selfless lovingkindness and selfishness playing out in every friendship. The writing is more subtle and intimate--and sometimes more stabbing.
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it
Forsyte Chronicles:-

This work developed over a lifetime and began with a simple theme, that of individual's right to life and love, especially those of a woman. The first trilogy, Forsyte Saga, is the most famous of all. There are three trilogies, Modern Comedy and End of the Chapter being the second and the third. The Forsyte 'Change was written as separate stories about the various characters and spans the time from migration of Jolyon Forsyte the original, referred to usually as Superior Doss
France-Andrée
A short meditation on life and old age. Beautifully written as always by this author; the language just flows beautifully. It is a story written by a middle aged man (Galsworthy was 50 at the time he wrote this) and I think that to express how we feel getting older and how youth never truly leaves us, it does take someone who has lived to a certain age.

The story is about Old Jolyon (with his son Young Jolyon, my favorite Forsytes), being alone with his granddaughter Holly for the summer while hi
Lynne-marie
Feb 26, 2010 Lynne-marie rated it really liked it
Nicola
Apr 30, 2016 Nicola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books
3 1/2 stars

This was lovely, although, being short and meant as a sort of sandwich filler between The Man of Property and In Chancery it doesn't have a lot of substance. It fairly much just deals with the fact that Irene is very beautiful and that means she is valued. Not exactly a worthwhile reason in my eyes but John Galsworthy at least deals with the subject of beauty by writing in a beautiful way. This was a charming interlude.
Afsana
Apr 24, 2010 Afsana rated it really liked it
This was a smaller read then the Man of property and I think it was written to explain the time between the man of property and In chauncery which is the next one

I find it interesting to see how men are effected by irini and it will be interesting to see how the adding of irini in Old Joelyens will will effect the rest of the family
Sandy Khomenko
Feb 13, 2016 Sandy Khomenko rated it really liked it
A good continuation to "The Man of property". I am glad that we got some closure on Irene's story and I think that after this story I started understanding Jolyon better. But not as great as the first book, of course.
Alexis O
Aug 25, 2016 Alexis O rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
As "A Man of Property" never gave the reader a look into Irene's thoughts, this interlude was a good way to get a little bit of information about how she had been feeling and what she had been thinking during "A Man of Property," and how she had been doing after the events of that book.
Eric
Mar 14, 2011 Eric rated it it was amazing
This book focuses mostly on Old Jolyon. I particularly enjoyed Galsworthy's descriptions of Old Jolyon's capacity for beauty in his old age. Great book!
Joni
Jul 19, 2011 Joni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
a wonderful novella of the love of a grandfather for his family and one who has been outcast by others. The writing, setting and narrative is beautiful and compelling.
Olga
Jan 03, 2013 Olga rated it it was amazing
Очень и очень понравилось! Маленькая повесть, или даже рассказ, но вся пронизана светлой грустью, читается взахлеб, чуть не проехала свою станцию метро, пока читала :)
Angela
Nov 23, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
This had always been a favorite part of mine in the TV miniseries - I am sure now it will be the same for the written saga.
Katie
Mar 24, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A gorgeous, lingering goodbye to old Joleyn Forsyte.
Inna
Inna rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Alina
Alina rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Styu Yuki
Styu Yuki rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Serazhutdin Khappalaev
Serazhutdin Khappalaev rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Nancy Barnes
Nancy Barnes rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Rachel Svendsen
Rachel Svendsen rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Aliza Zinger
Aliza Zinger rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Liviu
Liviu rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Isobel
Isobel rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Bfisher
Bfisher rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Yasha
Yasha rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
  • A Mere Interlude
  • The Diary of a Man of Fifty
  • A Brief History of the Future: The Origins of the Internet
  • Food: A Cultural Culinary History
  • The Communist Manifesto/Wages, Price and Profit
  • W krainie kota
  • Yanko the Musician and Other Stories
  • The Mughal Empire (The New Cambridge History of India, Volume 1, Part 5)
  • Catharine and Other Writings
  • The Three Clerks
  • Chalte Ho To Cheen Ko Chaliye / چلتے ہو تو چین کو چلیے
  • The Changeling (Daughters of England, #15)
  • Indian Summer
  • Wigs on the Green
  • Who's Bigger?: Where Historical Figures Really Rank
  • The Sisters (The Ordeal, #1)
  • The Swoop!, or How Clarence Saved England: A Tale of the Great Invasion
  • The Fortnight in September
John Galsworthy was an English novelist and playwright whose literary career spanned the Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras.

In addition to his prolific literary status, Galsworthy was also a renowned social activist. He was an outspoken advocate for the women's suffrage movement, prison reform and animal rights. Galsworthy was the president of PEN, an organization that sought to promote intern
More about John Galsworthy...

The Forsyte Chronicles (9 books)
  • The Man of Property
  • In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)
  • To Let
  • The White Monkey (The Forsyte Saga)
  • The Silver Spoon