Start by marking “Naked Brain” as Want to Read:
Naked Brain

Naked Brain

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Consider a world in which
- Marketers use brain scans to determine consumer interest in a product
- Politicians use brain-image-based profiles to target voters
- A test could determine your suitability for a job or to whom you will be romantically attracted
Far from science fiction, this "neurosociety"-a society in which brain science influences every aspect of daily life-
Published January 21st 2009 by Crown Publishing Group (first published September 26th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Naked Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Brain

Regina
The brain is hot this season! Neurology is back and chicer than ever. I'm sure glad I sat through semester after semester of neuro classes to now see the cerebellum in its finest glory! Replacing books like the Long Tail, Wisdom of the Crowds, Blink, and my favorite, Freakonomics are books about our 3 pound "headquarters" of higher thought, if you will. Some of the case studies in this book were of interest, such as the crazy hand syndrome, where one person's hand has a mind of its own, for inst ...more
Lage von Dissen
As I've written in my most recent blog post, titled "Neuroscience Arms Race & Our Changing World View" (lagevondissen.wordpress.com), we are definitely entering a paradigm shift in terms of our world view and how we look at concepts such as "thinking", "learning", "personality", and "decision-making". This book touches on the paradigm shift we are experiencing, where neuroscience is allowing us incredible access to information and knowledge regarding brain processes and structure -- so much ...more
Bob Nichols
Restak reviews many studies and pulls them together into a loose theme about how neuroscience influences "every aspect of daily life." In this, his 17th book, there's a lot of facts and information, without much in the way of an overarching theory.

A few points can be highlighted. In referencing one study, Restak quotes the study's author who states that "'Unconsciously perceived information leads to automatic reactions that cannot be controlled by a perceiver. In contrast, when information is co
Lis
If you've read much at all on the inner workings of the brain, you will find little new in this book. If you haven't read much, you'll find it a well-written basic primer on the new research into how our brains work and what makes us who we are.

Since I've read pretty much every book on this subject I can get my hands on, I nearly stopped reading a few chapters in...but boy was I glad I continued! One of the 'new' (but unfortunately) brief sections in this book addressed a use of empathy that I h
TK Keanini
Apr 02, 2007 TK Keanini rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stuck between neurological and social
This book sits on my shelf marked reference books because it is one of the few books that take in to account both the social and the neurological aspects of our brains.

You'll find sections in this book that will do well in explaining phenominon mentioned by Ray Kurzweil in his books and if you want to go way back, how about Ashby's 'Design for Brain'.

If you are in a position where you will need to be an agent of change in your organization (family, church, work, school), you will want to read
Eileen Daly-Boas
A pretty easy intro to what happens in the brain during different activities. Not so much about marketing, more about fMRI, PET scans, etc. My interest is in strokes and post stroke rehab, and understanding how the brain processes information.Not the best book for that, but it doesn't claim to be. A quick read with sone interesting parts. The chapter on ethics could have been omitted-radiolab did an episode on that which was clearer and more interesting.
Terri
This book has a lot of really great case studies about neurobiology and practical applications for society regarding advacements in medicine (implications of superdrugs on behavior, existence of FMRI technology to 'read' the brain and predict consumer and social behavior). I liked it a lot!
Cheryl
This wasn't a bad book in anyway. It just read more like a textbook, so I found it hard to read at times. However, if you are really interested in neurology it has some very interesting studies. This book also gave me a few insights into how my brain functions, which is always helpful!
Jacopo
Libro molto interessante che parte dalle nozioni base delle neuro-scienze per poi sviluppare il discorso sui meccanismi cerebrali che sottendono i nostri comportamenti nella società e come questi stessi meccanismi possono essere (e sono) sfruttati con fini manipolativi. Consigliato.
Darrel Martin
This book dives deep into one of the last frontiers, knowledge of the brain. It is being explored like never before through the use of modern imaging. The book also warns us about commercial advertisers use of this knowledge to effect our purchasing habits. Good read.
Brendan
Jul 29, 2007 Brendan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I'll read anything that Restak puts out. His books are light reads on a heavy subject. The title sells hard, and he sort of eludes to a central point, but it seems like a series of columns or articles compiled together to form a book. Not too shabby though.
Celia Powell
Eh - this was OK. Some interesting stuff about the brain, but qualified with so much "well, of course, this is very vague, we're not even really sure what this means" that I wondered why I was bothering to read it. Engaging writing style though.
TK Keanini
This book has the most recent findings with neuroscience and other related fields. It is becoming important that we understand how we know what we know and how we think what we think.
Nura Yusof
A short book, fascinating and yet a tough read because of the technical and biological jargon.

It's scary what our brain is really telling us.
Brian Cleary
this is a strong overview of what we are learning from cognitive science in the last 10 years. I am looking forward to reading other books.
Grant
Loved this book especially because I get geeked out on neuroscience and philosophy and this book put the two together!
Michelle
Informative but dry. I'm into the physiology of the brain, but this was a little redundant. Just ok.
Angus MacHaggis
Although a short book, I found myself plodding through it. The future looks bleaker now.
Sylwia Szymula
Sylwia Szymula marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Christoph
Christoph marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Marko Hartikainen
Marko Hartikainen marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Cara.Berk
Cara.Berk marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Charles Hopewell
Charles Hopewell marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Alex Price
Alex Price marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Maja Leibovitz
Maja Leibovitz marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • Sleep Paralysis: Night-mares, Nocebos, and the Mind-Body Connection (Studies in Medical Anthropology)
  • Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief
  • The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions
  • American Mania: When More is Not Enough
  • The Accidental Mind: How Brain Evolution Has Given Us Love, Memory, Dreams, and God
  • Touching the Rock: An Experience of Blindness
  • The Seven Sins of Memory: How the Mind Forgets and Remembers
  • What's Going on in There?: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • The Mind of the Market: Compassionate Apes, Competitive Humans, and Other Tales from Evolutionary Economics
  • The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies
  • Making Up the Mind: How the Brain Creates Our Mental World
  • Human: The Science Behind What Makes Us Unique
  • Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind
  • Don't Put That in There!: And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked
  • About Behaviorism
  • Curious Minds: How a Child Becomes a Scientist
Richard M. Restak M.D. is an award-winning neuroscientist, neuropsychiatrist and writer. The best-selling author of nineteen acclaimed books about the brain, he has also penned dozens of articles for a variety of publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and USA Today. A fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Academy of Neurology, and ...more
More about Richard Restak...
Mozart's Brain and the Fighter Pilot: Unleashing Your Brain's Potential Think Smart: A Neuroscientist's Prescription for Improving Your Brain's Performance The New Brain: How the Modern Age Is Rewiring Your Mind The Playful Brain: The Surprising Science of How Puzzles Improve Your Mind Poe's Heart and the Mountain Climber: Exploring the Effect of Anxiety on Our Brains and Our Culture