The Hot Topic: What We Can Do about Global Warming

The Hot Topic: What We Can Do about Global Warming

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  19 reviews
One of the most dynamic writers and one of the most respected scientists in the field of climate change offer the first concise guide to both the problems and the solutions of global warming. Guiding us past a blizzard of information and misinformation, Gabrielle Walker and Sir David King explain the science of warming, the most cutting-edge technological solutions from sm...more
Published April 7th 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) (first published January 1st 2008)

David
This is a very interesting book about global warming, arguably the best (and most up-to-date) book currently available on the topic. It is both informative and very clearly written. Sir David King, one of the world's leading authorities on global warming, has combined forces with Gabrielle Walker, the environment editor for New Scientist, to produce this work.

As one might expect, the book goes over in significant detail the latest scientific evidence, both the evidence that the earth's climate i...more
Oyster
Global warming is bad. We’ve got that part. But as for how to fix it? That’s been the subject of more than a few heated debates. The Hot Topic eschews arguing in favor of practical, unbiased solutions that we can all get behind.
Amanda
A very easy to understand explanation of climate change and what the science is. Explains the difference between weather and climate, which is what most have trouble understanding. A good first read. Not up to date at this point.
Michelle
This was a very easy-to-understand book explaining the impact of global warming. It wasn't too scientific and it wasn't too dreary, even though it was written by the United Kingdom's chief scientific adviser and a London based climate change editor. It includes an explanation of what we can expect, what is happening right now, the Kyoto agreement, how our country adds up in this fiasco (and how WE need to drastically change how we live), how the Bush administration is basically a front for the o...more
Rachel
A well written, fast read that explains both the science of climate change in terms that readers can easily understand, and why each facet looked at matters. Additionally, the authors talk about climate change adaption and mitigation goals. They explain the politics of climate change and how to affect political change, and discuss what an ordinary mortal can do to reduce his/her carbon footprint. The content is by no means preachy or condescending - it's an interesting topic made readily accessi...more
Laycee
Very informative book on the scientific, economic and global aspects of global warming. I found the book a slower read just because it's very stats based, however the book is very well organized and serves the purpose as long as the reader is interested in its subject. I would use the book more like a reference when I need to find out some facts of global warming data.
Audrey
A great handbook on global warming. It's not too long and the authors are able to explain economic, political, and scientific concepts clearly. They do an excellent job of scaring the crud out you while providing viable solutions to the current and looming disasters climate change will bring. If you ever needed a good climate change kick in the pants, this is it.
Alexis
There were some good points in this book, and it was well organized, but there are better, more interesting book on climate change out there. One of the things that really grated was how the authors would write.... and one of us (David King) accompanied Gordon Brown to a climate change conference.

I found that really annoying. Read "Heat" instead.
Natalie
Clearly stated book that discusses climate change. It is written by two very respected scientists and explains not only the science, but also the technology, the economics, and the politics that are involved with climate change and stopping it. It was extremely informative and changed the way I live my life.
joelene
a very 'readable' book about climate change and what we can do on a personal level. it also goes into some of the developing technologies. at the risk of sounding pompous, most of the stuff i had heard before but it was a good comprehensive read and i never bore reading about broecker and his co2 scrubbers.
Matt
Hard not to make a book like this political and I thought that the authors did an excellent job of trying to keep to that claim. It's inspired me to read more on this issue and keep up to date with the global efforts and responses to tackling this issue for my children's future.
Gobi Tharmarajah
This book is unique by itself as not only it provides the background details of the global warming crisis, but it also details the steps we should consider to protect the world from further damages.

Well written, and has a good flow.
Papajack
Whew. Opinions, everyone has one. Book has lots of facts, some ideas, but few proven solutions.
A work in progress for us all, for sure....
Idiosyncratic
Excellent introduction to the whole global warming/climate change scenario, especially for those (like me) who don't know a heck on a lot.
Steve
Totally convincing and quite compelling. Really changed my thinking in significant ways about an important matter.
Paul
There is some scary stuff in here about global warming, and it effects on the planet and the human race.
Thomas
Apr 29, 2008 Thomas rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for a climate change primer, focussed on technological, economic and policy solutions
Foreign
UK: Bill Swainson
US: Andrea Schulz
Kathryn
Actually giving it 3.5
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Khaled
Khaled marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Shanus
Shanus added it
Mar 02, 2014
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Vivienne
Vivienne marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Jayden
Jayden marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
An Ocean Of Air: A Natural History Of The Atmosphere Snowball Earth: The Story of the Great Global Catastrophe That Spawned Life as We Know It Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of the World's Most Mysterious Continent